xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: SCEA Comments on PS3 Resolution on Older HDTVs  (Read 425 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
SCEA Comments on PS3 Resolution on Older HDTVs
« on: November 21, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 21-11-2006 17:56 EST

From biz.gamedaily.com:

Today Sony Computer Entertainment America confirmed the problem to GameDaily BIZ:
"A small number of older High Definition television sets found in the United States only have 1080i inputs for HD signals. Those televisions will currently only play some PS3 titles at 480p resolution. PS3 games render images at either 720p or 1080p for High Definition, and you need 720p input on the TV to play select games that do not support 1080p. This is an issue on the side of the individual television sets, which do not accept 720p input, so when a game outputs an HD signal only at 720p, these select TVs have to display the game at 480p instead."

The SCEA spokesperson went on to assure us that Sony is working on a solution.

Read More: biz.gamedaily.com

Jonlisle81

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »

ewww... can you imagine getting a 'great deal' on an older model HD projection tv..waiting in line over night... plugging them both in.......and........  480p. Oh the humanity.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »

This pisses me off to no end. Very few HDTVs are they effin kidding me?? There are hundreds of thousands of tvs that where made to only support 1080i and 480i/p. And two years ago these were not cheap tvs.

His answer also danced around everything and answered nothing.

The fact is that if you own a tv that supports  1080i and 480i/p only and has NO BUILT IN SCALER CHIP you are out of luck for hi def gaming on the PS3. Also all those with tvs that do have built in scalers most of them didn't work very well so when you used them PQ goes to crap.

I am lucky enough to have a HDTV that supports 720p, but my main bigscreen was purchased a few years ago and doesn't support 720p, so i have to play my PS3 on my 30 inch.

If I didn't have my second tv I would have returned the PS3 because of this problem. And the fact that SONY seems they are not doing anything about it is just crap.

This post has been edited by mlmadmax: Nov 22 2006, 12:36 AM

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »

I agree much. I purchased my HDTV less than 2 years ago now and it does 480p and 1080i. I spent $1000 then, should I have to spend $1000 now because Sony can't downscale properly?

I will be the first to say I understand technology updates over time so 2 years is a long time, especially in the electronics world, but knowing I can't have 1080i is just more reason for my not to purchase a PS3.

Sony pushes this is the new bar blah blah blah but how many moms and dads are putting HDTVs in their kids rooms to handle it? Perhaps they could have spent their money better in other facets of the system vs $600.

zerosignal0

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 06:41:00 PM »

If you ask me I think sony missed the mark on the playstation 3 completly.  I mean I do think that having a gaming system that supports actual desktop computing power is awesome BUT at the same time it has alot of disadvantages.  I mean as if the system wasnt enough now having an HDTV isnt enough either... To me thats completly crazy and when people ask their friends or consult reviews they will quickly hear that quirks and flaws and will possibly be disenchanted at the idea of buying a system.  Now Im not just trying to bash the system here because the wii and most certainly the 360 have their problems as well but they werent as big of an investment as the others.  Also the fact that sonys customer service leaves something to be desired (especially with this problem).  

My tv is a year and a half old and supports upto 1080p but has issues with getting the proper resolutions as well and Ive never had a problem with my HD dvd player or my 360  linked thru DVI yet I pull the ps3 out of the box and BANG instant problems.  Kinda lame as well that this system was pushed back and hyped as long as it was yet comes with such stupid issues ...

Just my .02

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »

Wow.  Sony just basically said "screw you, we don't want to cater to absolutely everybody.  we might fix this sometime in the future."

All of you incompatible tv owners out there have my condolences - 480p is nothing compared to 1080i sleep.gif

Hopefully the problem is fixed soon.

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »

Acctually buying a hdtv that doesn't do 720p shows that people buy stuff withouth knowing shit. I just wonder how they sold you on the part that says no 720p capability. Its like buying a car that will only take you to the game but not home after...

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 01:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Nov 22 2006, 07:05 AM) View Post

Acctually buying a hdtv that doesn't do 720p shows that people buy stuff withouth knowing shit. I just wonder how they sold you on the part that says no 720p capability. Its like buying a car that will only take you to the game but not home after...

Ohh, so it's *their* fault that Sony aren't supporting a HD resolution OOTB? Silly me, there I was thinking that something as technically advanced as the PS3 should be able to output at 1080i without any further work being undertaken.

/Sarcasm off

So exactly what did you get for your money then? A pretty box? To insult others about their purchases two years ago is low, even for you Pheidias. Why not just point the finger at Sony (as supporting 1080i should be a no-brainer) - or will they kick you out of the Fanclub?

turk3y

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 03:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Nov 22 2006, 06:05 AM) *

its a TV brought for??? you guessed it TV, Note that most HDTV broadcast is in 1080i and this is also the highest broadcast quality withtin reason why would you look for a lower spec? these are early adopter tvs, they are desgined to give the best possible image at that time. Only now as the format matures do we get sets that can scale to all the resolutions under the sun. Sony should know this after all they sold a hell of alot of HDTV's that only do 1080i.

Also can you get tv's that dont do 1080i? surly this is more popular than 720p due to all the broadcasts being encoded as this? All the HDTV sat recievers ive seen also scale between 720p and 1080i...

and if your one with an old sony hdtv its more like buying a car only to find the manufacture doesnt intend to make any spare parts for it, so you can either get a new one or have to start translplaning bits and suffering performance loss.

sony need to learn that they are servicing their customers not the other way round. Hell they have had nearly a year waiting on their blue diodes, you would have thought they got some good testing of the rest of the hardware done.

This post has been edited by turk3y: Nov 22 2006, 12:01 PM

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 08:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Nov 21 2006, 10:05 PM) View Post

You are not making well thought out comments and never have, please stop posting this drivel.

When I bought my tv 1080i was the only HDTV resolution, 720p barely exested yet and cost 10,000 bucks. So forgive me if i was only willing to drop $4500 on the newest and best technology.

Oh and by the way, SONY themselves have made many tvs that only support 1080i, because that used to be the standard. The PS3 doesn't work on all of these tvs either, think before you post.

alsybub

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »

I have a flat panel that accepts pretty much any resolution. Strange thing is that when I have my PS3 in 1080p it flickers like crazy - and yes I do have other things that output that res and work fine.

Also, if I have the PS3 set to 1080 and I then play a game that renders at 720 the PS3 automatically downscales to 480. So it doesn't even run it in it's native resolution, unless the PS3 is specifically set to 720p.

Where the fuck is the sense in the Sony? Huh? laugh.gif

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »

The exact same thing happens to me when setting the resolution to 1080i on my tv that does 1080i, 720p, 480i/p. If i set the tv to 1080i it downscales everything to 480p. Also in 720p i get some screen flicker through HDMI no less.

They had better get busy writing some code to fix this dammit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

And I popped in a standard dvd and was dismayed when I found the PS3 does not upconvert standard dvds thrue HDMI to higher resolutions. That is so booty, i was hoping i could replace my dvd player all together but now i need to get a HDMI splitter.

I am looking forward to some good games in the future but I have been let down byt the PS3 so far.

This post has been edited by mlmadmax: Nov 24 2006, 05:57 AM

alsybub

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Nov 24 2006, 04:26 AM) View Post
The exact same thing happens to me when setting the resolution to 1080i on my tv that does 1080i, 720p, 480i/p. If i set the tv to 1080i it downscales everything to 480p. Also in 720p i get some screen flicker through HDMI no less.

They had better get busy writing some code to fix this dammit. grr.gif

And I popped in a standard dvd and was dismayed when I found the PS3 does not upconvert standard dvds thrue HDMI to higher resolutions. That is so booty, i was hoping i could replace my dvd player all together but now i need to get a HDMI splitter.

I am looking forward to some good games in the future but I have been let down byt the PS3 so far.

I get flicker through HDMI as well.

It sucks!

So I'm using component. It's really
worth me having a Bluray in my PS3 and paying the extra cash for the privilege.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 10:06:00 PM »

No flicker via HDMI cable bought from monoprice

This post has been edited by silentbob343: Nov 25 2006, 06:06 AM

the lobo

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »

it's not so much as who made the hdmi cable or what quality it is, but how your individual PS3 handshakes with the cable and your tele.
Pages: [1] 2 3