xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Upgrade My Internal Harddrive To 1tb?  (Read 186 times)

NekoTabemasu

• Archived User
Upgrade My Internal Harddrive To 1tb?
« on: October 16, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »

I was wondering if its a good idea to upgrade my 160gb harddrive of my ps3 slim to a 2.5inch 1TB drive

Is it possible to download games and put them in your internal drive so you wont need an external drive?

mat123

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(NekoTabemasu @ Oct 17 2010, 01:26 AM) View Post

I was wondering if its a good idea to upgrade my 160gb harddrive of my ps3 slim to a 2.5inch 1TB drive

Is it possible to download games and put them in your internal drive so you wont need an external drive?
Sure, just use Blackbox 1.2 ftp program and send the files through your network directly to your drive.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find a cool enough 2.5 inch 1TB harddrive? Does it run at 5400 or 7200 rpm? I'm thinking of upgrading my tiny 120 drive myself and converting it into a 360 drive.

NekoTabemasu

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »

Western Digital WD10TPVT
€ 129,90
1TB
5200rpm
8MB Cache

I just ordered a PS3 online so I hope its 3,41 firmware or lower lol or I go return it ^^

I already have USB Break can't wait to try it out

breathofice

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »

I Installed a 1tb hard drive in mine. I had to open the ps3 and remove a little bit of the metal cage so that it did not put unnecessary strain on the motherboard connections. I have heard someone say they did not. Its a tight fit. I removed the official sony HD caddy. once you put this new hard drive in and boot it our ps3 will be looking for an OS to install. You can download fw 3.41 Update file and put it on a flash drive. After this it will function as a normal PS3.

I would never recommend trying to play a ps3 game off an external usb hard drive because of the data speed.

A flash disk would be faster or there are other external sata mod options available if you do not internalize your HD

NekoTabemasu

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(breathofice @ Oct 18 2010, 02:54 PM) *

I Installed a 1tb hard drive in mine. I had to open the ps3 and remove a little bit of the metal cage so that it did not put unnecessary strain on the motherboard connections. I have heard someone say they did not. Its a tight fit. I removed the official sony HD caddy. once you put this new hard drive in and boot it our ps3 will be looking for an OS to install. You can download fw 3.41 Update file and put it on a flash drive. After this it will function as a normal PS3.

I would never recommend trying to play a ps3 game off an external usb hard drive because of the data speed.

A flash disk would be faster or there are other external sata mod options available if you do not internalize your HD

Which 1TB drive are you using? And how much did it cost?

NekoTabemasu

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »

It seems that the 1TB I posted earlier (Western Digital WD10TPVT) is 12mm so it does not fit in my ps3 slim. Is this true? If its true what is the biggest 9mm 2.5inch drive?

breathofice

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »

The largest you can get in a standard 9.5mm size is 750gb. The 1TB 12mm will fit with some modification as i stated above this is what I did

Western Digital WD7500BPVT Scorpio Blue 750G will fit without any modification 9.5mm

NekoTabemasu

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »

Apparently I read your post too fast lol..

I'm so glad the ps3 arrived with 3.40 firmware!

I have a usb break here shall i try it out or order a ps3 key?

breathofice

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »

upgrade to 3.41 first.

and theres no harm in using this jailbreak until you get another one. be careful when you pop a new game in. read before you accept anything... Sony is putting firmware updates on newer discs

gshockdan

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »

Is it possible to take out the internal, get extensions for the power and data and get a 3.5" put a shell on it and "make it" external.  The price for a 2TB 3.5" on sale is close to a 1TB 2.5"

breathofice

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »

Yes you could do an external sata hard drive. theres also a 3tb hard drive out. The bigger question is are you going to need bigger then 1tb for games?

here is a nice convenient package if you have a fat ps3

http://www.consoleso...#detailed_image

gshockdan

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »

Thanks Breathofice.

Going to look for slim options.