xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "hello Hypervisor, I'm Geohot"  (Read 295 times)

senas8

• Archived User
"hello Hypervisor, I'm Geohot"
« on: January 22, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »

I quote:
"FRIDAY, JANUARY 22, 2010

Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot
I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

Shout out to George Kharrat from iPhoneMod Brasil for giving me this PS3 a year and a half ago to hack. Sorry it took me so long (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet. The theory isn't really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can't post dumps. I'm hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone's KBAG."

A lot more to come...
Source:
geohotps3.blogspot.com

This post has been edited by senas8: Jan 23 2010, 02:17 AM

xcalixxryderx

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »

Ive been following him for awhile on twitter and then on his ps3 blog but I thought it would take much longer since he said the security was way better than the iPhone. Great news since I missed the 360 bus.

kohr

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »

Yeah, been following that blog.

If it's true, which I believe it is, considering that kid does have some achievements under his belt, that's pretty nice. Luckily I haven't updated my PS3 in quite awhile, so hopefully I'll be able to run homebrew on it, when the time comes. I updated my Xbox just before the jtag hack hit, so I was screwed with that, with the whole e-fuse thing. sad.gif

I'll be nice to have homebrew on the PS3, Shall we say "PS3 Media Center?" lol.  laugh.gif

elitemods

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »

That kid is a prodigy.

xcalixxryderx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »

Well He's not done yet. My understanding is that he has lv0 and lv1 dumps but still needs keys out of the spu. Without keys I dont think ps3 mode will run unsupervised. Unless someone wants to correct me on any of that.

Poopmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »

Well, I don't own a ps3 but I'm glad the "where there's a will, there's a way" rule still applies.

XOR101

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »

hmmm him not releasing anything is getting my OMGITSFAKE alarm off but this might be something (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

senas8

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 02:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(XOR101 @ Jan 23 2010, 09:46 AM) View Post

hmmm him not releasing anything is getting my OMGITSFAKE alarm off but this might be something smile.gif

You do understand he still has a alot of reversing, getting the keys etc. Much work to be done. It's one thing to dump memory and another to reverse.

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(senas8 @ Jan 23 2010, 01:29 AM) View Post

You do understand he still has a alot of reversing, getting the keys etc. Much work to be done. It's one thing to dump memory and another to reverse.

Yes lots of work still to be done...but it will be fast if the info gets out.  He does have FULL read AND write and controll of the processor.   Now will he release the info so others can help.   but still will be a while.

xboxjason

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »

Great post. I was just reading about this on engadget.

Can we have an admin post this on the main page? I think it's about time, considering there hasn't been any PS3 posts in a long while. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

Asphixiate

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(XOR101 @ Jan 23 2010, 09:46 AM) View Post

hmmm him not releasing anything is getting my OMGITSFAKE alarm off but this might be something smile.gif

If you know who GeoHot is your alarm would not be going off.  He is the one that released the initial iPhone hack then he also released the first hack for the iPhone OS 3.0.  He released the iPhone 3.0 update against the will of the iPhone Dev team because they wanted to keep the hole private.  His comment was screw that it is not how the game is played.  We find a hole, release it...apple fixes it....he finds another.

He is a lot like Team Jungle only completely opposite.  smile.gif

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »

Make it ra1n GeoHot!

THIS is a worthy front page PS3Scen.com news. Mainly since there has been no new news on the front page for months.

This post has been edited by Ranger72: Jan 24 2010, 12:58 AM

wassco

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »

Yeehaw! Go geohot!

XOR101

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »

anyone can tell us what this is?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NJ4JFBfr1tY/S1uf...0-h/hvcalls.PNG

This post has been edited by XOR101: Jan 24 2010, 09:38 AM

Spark

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 05:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(XOR101 @ Jan 24 2010, 10:38 AM) View Post

anyone can tell us what this is?

http://2.bp.blogspot...0-h/hvcalls.PNG

I think it is the log from the dumping the first levels of the hypervisor.

It is brilliant work and those calling BS on this should think again, the reason why nothing has been released is because there is nothing to release as of yet, but it will arrive and luckily in the case of the PS3 the ISO loaders etc already exist as people have been using those sorts of tools on dev units for a while now.

QUOTE(Asphixiate @ Jan 23 2010, 07:17 PM) View Post

He is a lot like Team Jungle only completely opposite.  smile.gif

And that can only ever be a good thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3