xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Netflix drops HD-DVD in favour of Blu-ray  (Read 308 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Netflix drops HD-DVD in favour of Blu-ray
« on: February 11, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | 11-2-2008 13:03 EST

From gamesindustry.biz:

Netflix has announced that it will be phasing out HD-DVD movies in favour of Sony's Blu-ray format, stating that the movie industry has already chosen a winner in the battle of hi-definition formats.

Movies on HD-DVD, developed by Toshiba, will be dropped from the online rental service by the end of the year, with the company stating the format war has been damaging to consumers.

"The prolonged period of competition between two formats has prevented clear communication to the consumer regarding the richness of the high-def experience versus standard definition," commented chief content officer Ted Sarandos.

"We're now at the point where the industry can pursue the migration to a single format, bring clarity to the consumer and accelerate the adoption of high-def.

"Going forward, we expect that all of the studios will publish in the Blu-ray format and that the price points of high-def DVD players will come down significantly. These factors could well lead to another decade of disc-based movie watching as the consumer's preferred means," he said.

Full Story: gamesindustry.biz

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »

Ouch, yet another nail in the coffin.

I still think the war will go on even if HD-DVD looses all movies studios and tons of money every month. The HD-dvd camp is so invested in this technology they will do anything to just keep it alive and if that means waiting untill dual format players are all over the place then that is what they will do.

man_the_king

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Feb 11 2008, 02:57 PM) View Post

Ouch, yet another nail in the coffin.

I still think the war will go on even if HD-DVD looses all movies studios and tons of money every month. The HD-dvd camp is so invested in this technology they will do anything to just keep it alive and if that means waiting untill dual format players are all over the place then that is what they will do.

No offense, but I think your comment about dual-format players is based more on wishful thinking rather than on any actual possibilities.

QUOTE(man_the_king @ Feb 11 2008, 03:26 PM) View Post

No offense, but I think your comment about dual-format players is based more on wishful thinking rather than on any actual possibilities.

Please understand, ONE dual-format player by LG does not count as wide proliferation.

tummybanana

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »

i like the use of the words movie studios...trying to make it sound like it was a fair competition

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(tummybanana @ Feb 12 2008, 01:34 AM) View Post

i like the use of the words movie studios...trying to make it sound like it was a fair competition

Everything is fair in business.
If you back and support something BR or HD DVD and it turns out not to win just accept it. Claiming the rules weren't fair is a common cry when anyone loses at anything.