xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Universal Wants Format War to Continue  (Read 117 times)

epsilon72

• Archived User
Universal Wants Format War to Continue
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »

In fact, they are so dedicated to HD DVD, that Universal has walked away from additional financial incentives to release Blu-ray content, besides the additional revenue they would make by releasing on the more consumer adopted format.

That's because the "additional financial incentives" they get from the HD-DVD camp probably offset the "additional revenue" they would get from blu-ray sales. smile.gif

Why would a company back a product if it meant losing money?  Either they're getting paid a lot now to stay exclusive, or they think that somehow HD-DVD is going to pull an ace out of its sleeve and win the market in the future.

j3y q

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »

hddvd has to have something huge to comeback, for now i all blu, not to hate on hdvd but when i made my chioce bluray just had more movies that i liked

man_the_king

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(tummybanana @ Aug 10 2007, 04:39 AM) View Post

there maybe more titles on blu but to be fair they arent exactly overwhelming either....as it turns out most of my movies are either from paramount warners universal, with others coming from companies who have distribution thru those.......
i didnt rate the last potc movies at all so just the dvds for my kid for those, star wars has been bought to death, spidy3 wasnt much cop........not that much of an incentive to go with blu ray pop.gif

Well, you could also make the argument that :
(1) HD/DVD has LESS titles AND
(2) they aren't overwhelming either.
So at least Blu-ray has more choices.

Other than the Matrix trilogy (and Batman Begins, but that's coming out on Blu-ray sometime in the next several months anyway from what I've read), there's not many movies that are out yet on HD/DVD that I would like to buy.

Also, there are many people who like the Spidey series, the POTC series, and other movies out on Blu-ray. So in the end, what it comes down to is choice.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(tummybanana @ Aug 10 2007, 04:39 AM) View Post

........not that much of an incentive to go with blu ray pop.gif

Blu-ray seems to have more movies that are popular (Potc, Spiderman, etc.) HD-DVD seems to have the movies that are less talked about, but are just as good. IMO

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »

If you look at the big picture both formats are selling like shit. The war is going to go on forever to, both sides have hundreds of millions invested and are not going to call it quits for years. The only thing that will end the "war" is a high quality inexpensive dual format player.

tummybanana

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 04:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Aug 10 2007, 09:27 PM) View Post

If you look at the big picture both formats are selling like shit. The war is going to go on forever to, both sides have hundreds of millions invested and are not going to call it quits for years. The only thing that will end the "war" is a high quality inexpensive dual format player.

when hd was announced i was really hoping that it would only be one format like dvd was.....no messy war
like beta vs vhs etc....but alas no
i used to be a fan of $ony, but have got increasingly jaded by them over the years because of thier business ethic....
i dont honestly feel good about blu ray at all, now it seems that with bd+ is finished there are rumblings that fox $ony di$ney arent even going to be using it yet, for fear of looking stupid when its cracked. why place so much confidence in something then not use it?...doesnt speak well for something thats supposed to be unhackable.

its an interesting point made on the original article that blu ray is alledged to be the more consumer adopted format, at least where i live i know more people with either the tosh player, or the 360 with the addon than a ps3 or standalone bd player...im assuming the article originates from the usa?, i would rather own a dedicated player than a console for watching movies...put it this way the shop where i worked has sold more hd dvd standalones compared to no blu ray players at all...even had to send the blu player back...sat on the shelf and with no interest in it.

if my preffered company of choice made a dual player (pioneer) and i absolutley 100% HAD to buy blu as well then it would be from them...i have no intentions of getting rid of me hd dvd movies, why would i?....the prints are fantastic on the whole and look gorgeous.

oh well......