xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: PlayStation 3 to get DVR functions in early 2008  (Read 106 times)

j3y q

• Archived User
PlayStation 3 to get DVR functions in early 2008
« on: August 01, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »

thas cool that they are offering this they should really put more muney into getting games out , i beielve this is already possible through linux tho?? i think this console has a lot of pottentienl but the only thing keepig it alive is a bluray player feature of it

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »

It is possible now through Linux, using the PS3 and a PC w/ a TV Tuner.

This "new" ability will probably come from an add-on device, not just a firmware update.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »

If you just want games then buy a 360 or a Wii.
Sony is obviously focusing on more than just a games machine here. This has been clear from the start. Nothing wrong with that at all. The more multimedia features they add to it the better for me. The games will roll out as well soon. Already a line up of titles that interest me.
The Gen Public will take some convincing but who knows it could prove the right way to go.

NineT9mustang

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »

Chancer well said!! Couldn't have been put better buddy

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »

DVR is something the 360 should have had right from the start rather than that useless MCE Extender thing.

This is a nice feature, i think this is what Sony is doing, looking at other markets in case they come a distant 3rd in the industry this gen.

Who knows maybe Sony will be developing multimedia machines like the PS3 in the future that can do an abundance of things. I know they do similar things already but not to this extent.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »

It is in the similar vane of thinking to the Media centre PCs. The idea being you can record TV shows, Play HI-Def content from optical media, Listen to your Audio or slideshow your Photos, have online connectivity and a community online (Home) and play games.
Now say what you will about it but that is a bloody good selection of stuff that you can do from one box under the TV set.
So everyone that keeps saying it is just a Blu-Ray player is wrong.
It is also clear that this a long term plan. Judgement needs to be taken on this machine when it has had over 2 years (like the 360). This is a machine that did not hit the UK until March this year. That is only 4 months over here.