xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Harrison: Blu-ray Vital For PS3, Better Integrated Than DVD On PS2  (Read 117 times)

epsilon72

• Archived User

While the PS3 is the best blu-ray player, blu-ray is not needed for games currently, no matter what the PR machine says.

anonim1979

• Archived User
Harrison: Blu-ray Vital For PS3, Better Integrated Than DVD On PS2
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »

Mobile Suit Gundam Crossfire = 3.96GB   [1080i Sony exclusive]
Full Auto 2: Battlelines = 3.55GB   [1080p Sony exclusive]
Call Of Duty 3 = 6.7GB
NBA2K7 = 7.59GB
Fight Night Round 3 = 4.28GB
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 = 6.85 GB
NHL 2K7 = 7.86GB
Need For Speed Carbon = 11.5GB  [1DVD on X360]
Madden NFL 07 = 7.08GB
Resistance: Fall Of Man = 17.53GB   [720p Sony exclusive]
Marvel Ultimate Alliance = 6.85GB
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom = 8.27GB    [720p Sony exclusive]
Tony Hawk Project 8 = 5.10GB
Ridge Racer 7 = 6.95 GB    [1080p Sony exclusive]
Formula One - Championship Edition = 7.57GB  [720p Sony exclusive]
Motor Storm (JAP) = 11.9GB [720p Sony exclusive]
Genji (US) = 12.2GB [720p Sony exclusive]
NBA 07 = 5.06 GB   [1080p Sony exclusive]
Virtua Fighter 5 = 4.30 GB

http://www.ps3news.c...izes-52113.html

*Resistance - 6GB of data, 2GB of sound, 7 GB of movies, 2.5GB of garbage
Without movies could easily fit on 1 DVD

*Some games place the same files many times on disc to offset very slow access times of Bluray drive.
For example Oblivion will double everything. [ http://www.gamesetwa...g_double_to.php ]
Also existance on dumy [empty] files were confirmed on some discs.

THE ULTIMATE INFO ABOUT BLURAY SPEEDS
http://www.emedialiv...articleid=11404

BRx2 IS EQUAL TO 6.5 DVD speed!

Thanks good for HDD.
NG Sigma will instal whole to HDD [or 1/2 half - you decide].....

richbambam

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:56:00 AM »

No because when the PS2 was released DVD was just starting to take off in a big wayI even think my mum knew what a dvd player was at the time,BLU RAY is something totally different only hard core diehard film/game buffs will upgrade to the PS3 a vast majority of the public wont know what blu ray is or even give a SH*T

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(supergrafx @ Mar 17 2007, 10:55 AM) View Post

The President of SONY speaks the truth. PS3 is the best, all opinions aside. This is only the beginning....

blink.gif

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(supergrafx @ Mar 17 2007, 08:55 AM) View Post
The President of SONY speaks the truth. PS3 is the best, all opinions aside. This is only the beginning....

ummm......you better watch your langauge.  That kind of talk isn't really tolerated around here.... tongue.gif

(I really hope you were being sarcastic)

supergrafx

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Mar 17 2007, 05:19 PM) View Post

ummm......you better watch your langauge.  That kind of talk isn't really tolerated around here.... tongue.gif
(I really hope you were being sarcastic)

I was being totally serious, as was SONY

maxpower2001

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(thax @ Mar 17 2007, 09:10 PM) View Post

MS talked to the developers and they clearly stated their priorities, for example it was more important to have 512 MB of RAM than more storage.

When developers work on consoles there is always hard constraints that require compromises to be made. Ultimately consoles have to be as cheap as possible while providing the best gaming experience.

There is never enough RAM, CPU, GPU, I/O or storage. The console manufacturer needs build something that gives the best bang for the buck.

Bluray is not an optimal choice. It would be way cheaper to include a dual tray drive, or a double sided reader if primary storage was badly constrained.

Developers probably work way harder trying to get the game to fit in the PS3's lesser available RAM than they do trying to get the game to fit on the smaller DVD for the x360.

When you say bluray isn't the optimal choice i presume you mean for games.  You might be right, but the ps3 is supposed to be more than just a gaming machine - it's supposed to be a bluray player aswell.  I believe sony has said all along that they wanted this machine to be more than just for gaming.  So if they made the ps3 without a bluray player already installed it won't be a bluray player anymore.  Thus it makes perfect sense for them to include damn thing.

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »

Think about the damage Blu-Ray has cause the PS3.

1. A year delay to market
2. Gave the competition a 9 million unit head start
3. Lost exclusives
4. $200 added onto the price of the console

The PS3 is going to lose hundreds (yes hundreds!) of potential exclusives because it surrendered it's lead to force it's format.

The PS3 is just a gaming machine. I hate hearing people say it's not just a gaming machine. Hardly anyone not interested in gaming is going to buy it. It will be sold in the gaming section of all stores because it is a gaming machine. And it's not like I can't watch high def movies on a 360. And yes it's is built it, it's called Video Marketplace. Also just because there are refrigerator's with LCD TV's built into them doesn't make them a TV as well as a fridge, it's still a fridge.

I don't think Blu-Ray is unless, but it's going to pull the console down. Focus needs to return back to software, software is vital for the PS3.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 12:59:00 AM »

i would allow sony to say whatever they want but the truth is, the ps3 is a failure. it can't play vcds, svcds, 90% of data cds with mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 files on them and can't play divx/xvid. while the 360 can't do these things either, i don't really mind cause MS isn't trying to push the console as a "do everything device" as sony has. also media center extender is a lot more capable than anything the ps3 has not to mention with a nice little download you can stream divx/xvid to your 360. so i guess the 360 pulls ahead again. if bluray wins, big deal, MS will make a bluray addon, they already said that. if bluray loses though then, you're kinda stuck with it because i don't see sony ever making an hd-dvd addon.

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Mar 20 2007, 02:06 AM) View Post

i would allow sony to say whatever they want but the truth is, the ps3 is a failure. it can't play vcds, svcds, 90% of data cds with mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 files on them and can't play divx/xvid. while the 360 can't do these things either, i don't really mind cause MS isn't trying to push the console as a "do everything device" as sony has. also media center extender is a lot more capable than anything the ps3 has not to mention with a nice little download you can stream divx/xvid to your 360. so i guess the 360 pulls ahead again. if bluray wins, big deal, MS will make a bluray addon, they already said that. if bluray loses though then, you're kinda stuck with it because i don't see sony ever making an hd-dvd addon.

Oh come on.  MS has advertised the 360 every bit as much as a digital entertainment hub as Sony has with the PS3... in fact, I'd say MS has boasted more in this area.   Anyway, if you feel like installing Linux on the PS3 you can do all that stuff too.  I wish both systems were more capable in this area out of the box.