xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: XboxHDM2 (USB Edition) - Alpha Release  (Read 1432 times)

ldotsfan

• Archived User
XboxHDM2 (USB Edition) - Alpha Release
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »

Compiled and updated to qemu 0.10.5 for the curses support. What this means for xboxhdm2 is that the required memory footprint should be lowered as there's no need for SLAX's KDE based GUI support. It's back to basics like the original xboxhdm - a console based tool without the KDE GUI. But with the recent changes:
1. Boots from USB.
2. fwz's contributions: Drop-in C and E folders onto the usb drive without the need to create the ISO and cleaner integration between stage 1(the new stuff) and stage 2(the original xboxhdm stuff).
3. scullc's contribution: dual-boot between FreeDOS and SLAX.
4. Hdd locking/unlocking without needing a reboot after stage 2.
5. Chainloading from CDROM to USB for those machines which cannot boot from USB.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(scullc @ Jul 28 2009, 06:50 AM) View Post

is the updated qemu a new download - as i didn't find it at sourceforge?

I was still toying with the new qemu and reducing the library dependencies. I'm now done and uploaded the new file to sourceforge.

Here's the steps:
1. Download ltools-new.lzm
2. Delete ltools.lzm and qemu-0.9.1-i386.lzm from slax folder's modules folder.
3. Copy ltools-new.lzm to the modules folder.
4. Delete away 002-xorg.lzm , 003-desktop.lzm from slax folder's base folder.
5. Modify menu.lst:
CODE

kernel /boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;telinit~4 ##changes=/slax

to
CODE

kernel /boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw telinit~3 ##changes=/slax

6. Login with root username and password: toor
7. At the prompt, type xboxhd2.

This version of xboxhdm2 is now very lean. I hope this helps to reduce the boot time and memory footprint requirement.

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2009, 04:08:00 AM »

Had a play with hdm2.1.zip (gui) & xboxhdm2 (console).

hdm2.1.zip (gui):
 - has missing eeprom folder in root of stick?
 - dual boot working
 - HDD rebuilt, locked, unlocked with no probs. xbrowser working. hdparm working. looks rock solid

xboxhdm2 (console):
 - lean & working nicely fast (when gets to console). must admit after all this time, strange looking at console only version
 - HDD rebuilt, locked, unlocked with no probs. xbrowser working. seems fine to me
 - locked HDD booted in 9mins (slight improvement as was 12 mins+ with GUI version)

Personally I prefer GUI version  biggrin.gif  but the console version will help those out with a lower specced PC. I have an old PC (<512mb) around somewhere. Will test the kickerCD out on that and see if console version runs OK.

I should probably add in the kickerCD to the hdm2.1.zip build. I think it would be better providing seperate versions as in gui/console so users can download what they need. I'll get those 2 builds up as soon as testing done.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(scullc @ Jul 30 2009, 06:08 PM) View Post

I think it would be better providing seperate versions as in gui/console so users can download what they need. I'll get those 2 builds up as soon as testing done.

I concur on releasing 2 versions: console who will be called xboxhdm2.1 (Lite edition) and the GUI one xboxhdm2.1 (Full edition) and thanks for the extensive testing  smile.gif
Thanks also to fwz for making the recent changes possible

Don't think there's any more enhancements I can think of. Once you are done, let's request a mod's help to update post #1.

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »

long story short...i can't test this in my old PC. feckin' thing wouldn't boot etc... mad.gif

i decided to try the grubloader CD out on my main test PC here using the console version of xboxhdm on USB - Slax complained about missing kdm etc...I redid the menu.lst using your instructions in post206, rebuilt the iso - it then worked fine. So we need (slightly) different grubloaders for gui/console xboxhdm2.

while i did the testing, i never actually tried FreeDOS - until today. The hdm2.1zip is missing the command.com & took me a while to notice that. I put the original command.com back in - but it asks for date/time before it runs FreeDOS? Odd  huh.gif  I just 'returned' on those date/time entries and FreeDOS then booted fine. ATAPWD worked fine & the rest i left untested.

I'll build the iso soons with their respective grub loaders in place.

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »

here are the new updates:

xboxhdm2.1-full-gui.rar approx 140mb
xboxhdm2.1-lite-console.rar approx 70mb

notes:
 - i estimate you need >512mb to boot the full-gui version. it may run <512mb but your risk. in case of unexpected errors/non-boot use the lite-console version on systems <512mb
 - there is a grub_cdkicker folder within each build with its own modified iso for chainloading from CD >> USB
 - as usual you will need your eeprom & M$dash files
 - as usual you will need to follow these instructions to get your USB to multiboot

This post has been edited by scullc: Jul 31 2009, 09:11 AM

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(scullc @ Jul 31 2009, 04:10 PM) View Post

here are the new updates:

Thanks, uploading to sourceforge.

SIKDIDIT

• Archived User
« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2009, 03:22:00 AM »

I tip my black hat to you all.
 I just finished reading through the entire thread what an accomplishment.
I am active on many projects on several boards, I have never seen so many (talented) individuals work so well on the same project. BRAVO.....

The strangest thing; over the july fourth holiday I was working on the same/similar project ie: usb boot tools, in order to mod/clone/repair/ xbox.
I decided to take another stab at it and ran into this thread. SWEET..
From previous project I utlilzed USB_MultiBoot_10 which streamlined alot of the booting issues (boot floppy image function(console specific data) on grub4dos menu). I ran out of time and never finished.
1) Thnkx a lot for all of your work
2) Thankx a lot for SHARING your work/problem/soulitions.
Yall ROCK!
I will be testing the latest release and post any nit-piky bs I can...wink.gif
☆☆☆☆☆SIKDIDIT☆☆☆☆

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(SIKDIDIT @ Aug 1 2009, 05:22 PM) View Post

I am active on many projects on several boards, I have never seen so many (talented) individuals work so well on the same project. BRAVO.....

There are many such examples of people collaborating on stuff in this scene: For the softmods: UDE, UDE2, UDDAE, Ndure, nkpatcher. VGA bios also benefited from contributions over a period of time - IND bios to nkpatcher which in turned contributed to those by FrostyTheSnowMan. Recent development work include the development of XBPartitioner 1.1 and an upcoming boot disc which I will leave to the author to announce in due time  sleep.gif .
Anyway, to all those involved in xboxhdm2 development beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

1) Thnkx a lot for all of your work
2) Thankx a lot for SHARING your work/problem/soulitions.
Yall ROCK!
I will be testing the latest release and post any nit-piky bs I can...wink.gif

You're welcome to contribute as well  smile.gif Since the source code is available, anybody is free to extend and enhance this tool.

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(SIKDIDIT @ Aug 1 2009, 10:22 AM) *

welcome to the thread & glad you enjoyed it. glad we may be able to help you

I had got hold off an old 'recycled' PC. unfortunately no room for a CD-Rom within its case (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) - was going to test the minimum specs for the tool. i recall earlier that Bomb Bloke struggled to boot on anything less than 144mb ram - specs are listed here for safe boots of Slax.
I rebuilt a bootable CD Version of the USB tool and tested it in Sun Virtual Box
while i don't want to cloud the muddy water - i was able to boot the full gui version in 128mb - sluggish but it had booted  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)  tried 70 mb ram - booted to desktop & then sat there & failed to load desktop counterparts. incidentally - it booted nicely fast on 256mb.
Given this, its entirely possible that Slax will boot with less specs than I first thought (minimum 128mb) and the console version (currently not tested in Virtual Box) will run in much less than that. I'll try the console version sometime soon.

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »

OK - made a bootable CD iso of xboxhdm2.1 lite/console & tested again within Sun Virtual Box
booted fine (& quick) at 64mb. errors at 30mb (couldn't find chroot...etc)
i am unsure how these results translate in real world situations but I hope that sheds some light/guidance on the probable working memory minimum of xboxhdm2.1 gui (128mb) & xboxhdm2.1 lite (64mb)
incidentally - no testing was done on the actual builds as Virtual Box bombs out (cant find hdm folder on iso - but is there?!)

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(scullc @ Aug 4 2009, 06:05 AM) View Post

i am unsure how these results translate in real world situations but I hope that sheds some light/guidance on the probable working memory minimum of xboxhdm2.1 gui (128mb) & xboxhdm2.1 lite (64mb)

In the real world, on my test machine with 128Mb, I had issues running lite as qemu will complain and won't start stage 2, I was toying with swap memory but couldn't get it to work. I presume gui edition will need even more resources.

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Aug 4 2009, 02:07 PM) *

In the real world, on my test machine with 128Mb, I had issues running lite as qemu will complain and won't start stage 2

too good to be true?! does qemu grab a load of mem then?
I currently don't have the necessary parts to test this at minimum specs - maybe some other testers have & can test & report for us?
we'll leave the original specs until proven otherwise (>512mb for GUI version & <512 for lite version)

dragonsbane4381

• Archived User
« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »

I just finished reading this whole thread all i can say is wow you guys ddid alot. This question may have ben answered in one of the posts, but im not sure. I have a stock xbox I added a usb port to it for file transfering. I was going to try one of the game exploits, until i saw this thread. Now to get the 2 files from the xbox that are required,  would i be able to use this program to unlock it copy files over and then redo the hd or do i need the 2 files eeprom an m$ first? Also i use a laptop so i have no available ide an not about to crack laptop open, would an external hd casing work as well? Thanks in advance

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(dragonsbane4381 @ Aug 10 2009, 02:27 PM) View Post

I was going to try one of the game exploits, until i saw this thread. Now to get the 2 files from the xbox that are required,  would i be able to use this program to unlock it copy files over and then redo the hd or do i need the 2 files eeprom an m$ first? Also i use a laptop so i have no available ide an not about to crack laptop open, would an external hd casing work as well? Thanks in advance

Thank you for reading the thread from end to end  biggrin.gif Actually you are better off with the gamesave exploit, you need a Windows program xplorer360 to copy the gamesave onto the usb drive. Alternative xboxhdm2 should work with hotswapping (and Kingroach Ndure 3.1) to get the files onto the temporarily unlocked hdd but nobody has actually reported success with that but it should work.

Only when the xbox is softmodded, then you have easy access to the eeprom backup.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12