xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rockstar working 'around the clock' on PS3 GTA 4 fix  (Read 375 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Rockstar working 'around the clock' on PS3 GTA 4 fix
« on: May 01, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 1-5-2008 19:50 EST

From videogamer.com:

Rockstar is working "around the clock" to fix freezing issues with GTA 4, Take-Two customer support has told VideoGamer.com.

We were told: "A patch is being worked on around the clock to address the issues. It's bound to be. That's how they address this sort of thing. It is being worked on. We're looking into it. You will hear from us if a patch is released. A patch is usually the way it's been done."

We were also given some tips on how to combat the freezing experienced on the PS3 version of the game, including:
* Completely remove the game from the system but leave saves behind.
* Turn the console off for 15 minutes without any cables plugged in, then turn it on and try again.
* Play without access to the Internet.
* Turn off the auto save function and the controller vibration setting.

Full Story: videogamer.com

crazypranks

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »

I have to say the PS3 issues with this game are very dissapointing to me. I was an early adopter of both systems and I'm on my 6th xbox, after 5 repairs. The last xbox I got came with a DVD drive that almost sounds like an airplane taking off, but it hasn't gone RROD on me yet so I've kept it. I was really looking for a good reason to get this game for my 60 gig PS3. In fact, if it was even on par with the 360 version I would have gotten it. But the 630p news and crashing issues influenced me to buy the 360 version today. Dissapointing really.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(crazypranks @ May 2 2008, 02:40 AM) View Post

I have to say the PS3 issues with this game are very dissapointing to me. I was an early adopter of both systems and I'm on my 6th xbox, after 5 repairs. The last xbox I got came with a DVD drive that almost sounds like an airplane taking off, but it hasn't gone RROD on me yet so I've kept it. I was really looking for a good reason to get this game for my 60 gig PS3. In fact, if it was even on par with the 360 version I would have gotten it. But the 630p news and crashing issues influenced me to buy the 360 version today. Dissapointing really.

I rented the 360 version yesterday, and the PS3 version today. I've got a 60GB US PS3, so I'll post if I experience problems.

rezonat0r

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »

How did this slip through Rockstar and Sony's QA?  Definitely bad PR for Sony, and well deserved if they can manage to bungle this launch.

Also, is it me or do the recommended "workarounds" sound completely random and unrelated, indicating they probably don't do anything?

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 03:01:00 AM »

It's not acceptable on Rockstars behalf because the problem is on both consoles. Similar reports in 360.
 Has the 630p been confirmed other than someone who claims to have counted the pixels (good going if the res has already been upscaled to 720p) and the magician who can tell just with one look at the screen.
There should have been no issues on either machine with this game but instead the game is full of problems on both platforms.

death trap

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ May 2 2008, 11:01 AM) View Post

It's not acceptable on Rockstars behalf because the problem is on both consoles. Similar reports in 360.
 Has the 630p been confirmed other than someone who claims to have counted the pixels (good going if the res has already been upscaled to 720p) and the magician who can tell just with one look at the screen.
There should have been no issues on either machine with this game but instead the game is full of problems on both platforms.
Chancer, Chancer, Chancer, we can allway rely on you to put a ps3 fanboi spin on everything.
I'm not sure where your getting your info from, I've not hearded of any major problems on the 360.  My self and just about everyone I know has the 360 version.  Not a single person has had any problems that stop them from playing the game.   On top of that i've not read anything about 360 version experincing lock-up or any other major problems.  How could you posibly imply that both versions are bad?  This is clearly a problem that sliped thought Sonys QA, if they even bothered with QA.

Personaly I only chose the 360 version coz all my mate have 360s and I wanted to be able to play online with them.  Im so glad I didn't trust those early reviews that said the ps3 version is better coz it obviouly aint.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(death trap @ May 2 2008, 12:44 PM) View Post

Chancer, Chancer, Chancer, we can allway rely on you to put a ps3 fanboi spin on everything.
I'm not sure where your getting your info from, I've not hearded of any major problems on the 360.  My self and just about everyone I know has the 360 version.  Not a single person has had any problems that stop them from playing the game.   On top of that i've not read anything about 360 version experincing lock-up or any other major problems.  How could you posibly imply that both versions are bad?  This is clearly a problem that sliped thought Sonys QA, if they even bothered with QA.

Personaly I only chose the 360 version coz all my mate have 360s and I wanted to be able to play online with them.  Im so glad I didn't trust those early reviews that said the ps3 version is better coz it obviouly aint.

I believe the 'major issues' to which he's referring on the 360 would be textures appearing out of nowhere, as well as randomly disappearing. I noticed quite a bit of it while playing the 360 version yesterday. I only played the PS3 version for 10 mins last night, but the graphics did seem a tad richer (compared against a HDMI 360). I'll be comparing the controls, texture pop-in/out, etc, and I'll try to write a comprehensive comparasion, provided I don't get sidetracked and miss my rental time... perhaps I'll find someone to watch my son tonight to guarantee me some playtime smile.gif

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »

I have read reports of freezing on the 360 as well as the texture probs.

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ May 2 2008, 05:17 PM) *
I have read reports of freezing on the 360 as well as the texture probs.
I heard that as well...here for instance (but several more sites too). It claims that while problems on the 60GB PS3 are more commonly reported, there have still been reports for the Xbox 360. Incidentally, GTAIV has not crashed once while playing on my 60GB system. That may explain why this was not caught by Rockstar before release since it clearly does not affect all of them, and perhaps even only a small (vocal) percentage.

This post has been edited by Kamasutra318: May 2 2008, 10:54 PM

warmaster_670

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(crazypranks @ May 1 2008, 09:40 PM) View Post

you mean this 630p thing?

and yes, theres been reports of the freezing on both consoles

AngelBallz69

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »

today was my day off from work, sit down on the couch to play gta4 , and it just freezes at the Black loading screen, called sony , they said alot of people are having this issue, fin sucks im glad im not the only one with this issue , im going to return the game back to walmart tommorow  sad.gif

d-range

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 05:25:00 AM »

Not a single freeze on the 360 here up till now, with ±20 hours of gameplay. I do see some texturing errors, but only sporadically, it doesn't really bother me and I don't see why people make such a fuss about it: many games have exactly the same graphical popup, it's not really a bug but just a limitation of the console. Cleaning the disc might help btw, I have the impression I only saw some texture popup when I heard the drive skipping and rereading.

Can't comment on the PS3 version, but if it's really true that it locks up this often, it's definitely a R* QA mistake. I would be pretty pissed off if I bought the game for PS3 and it hardlocked all the time.

KaRiL

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(death trap @ May 2 2008, 04:44 AM) View Post

I can personally attest to their being problems with the 360 version as well.  My first copy was freezing every 5 minutes, took it back to the store and haven't had a problem since.  This is a R* problem not Sony, even if all the lock ups were occuring on PS3's (which they are not) it's a problem with the game not the hardware.  

some links for you to read that point out the problem is on both consoles
Kotaku
Joystiq

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(AngelBallz69 @ May 3 2008, 02:16 AM) View Post
today was my day off from work, sit down on the couch to play gta4 , and it just freezes at the Black loading screen, called sony , they said alot of people are having this issue, fin sucks im glad im not the only one with this issue , im going to return the game back to walmart tommorow  sad.gif
I had this issue last night where it would stay at the loading screen. It continued several times after restarting, and this may just be a coincidence, but it actually loaded after I cancelled something I was downloading.

crazypranks

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »

If Sony/Rockstar would have come out quickly to to shut that rumor down it might have influenced my decision. However, looking at the side by side comparisons I thought the PS3 version looked a little blurry. Rockstar/Sony really did drop the ball on this though, considering all the extra time they pushed this game back, they should have caught these issues in QA.  Haven't run into any issues on my 360 version yet, great game otherwise.

If Sony/Rockstar would have come out quickly to to shut that rumor down it might have influenced my decision. However, looking at the side by side comparisons I thought the PS3 version looked a little blurry. Rockstar/Sony really did drop the ball on this though, considering all the extra time they pushed this game back, they should have caught these issues in QA.  Haven't run into any issues on my 360 version yet, great game otherwise.
Pages: [1] 2