xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tgs 2006: Sega On Ps3 Genesis Downloads  (Read 133 times)

mike96sc2

• Archived User
Tgs 2006: Sega On Ps3 Genesis Downloads
« on: September 25, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »

I believe Sega's official word on this was they were feeling out the possibility. I'm sure they were approached by Sony after Nintendo came out with word on their virtual console.

All this older game emulation stuff is pretty cool, but on the same note do we really want to spend money on the same game collecting dust in the corner. Perhaps if they can hit a price-point people would pay then great.

I'd rather see two things, one is more original content or truly classic content ala XBL Arcade or a Gametap-like service that allows you to pay a flat rate and subscribe to play the games.

$10 a month for unlimited Sega gaming or $10 for unlimited TG-16, etc. Make price points people don't mind spending, maybe you pay for the subscription but then subscribers can purchase the game a la carte for $2 vs. $4 or $5 for non-subscribers. Just an idea.

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 12:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(mike96sc2 @ Sep 26 2006, 12:27 AM) View Post

All this older game emulation stuff is pretty cool, but on the same note do we really want to spend money on the same game collecting dust in the corner. Perhaps if they can hit a price-point people would pay then great.

Yes theres a major market for them.  Heard of Ebay? There are old games selling from 60-200 dollars each.  So itll be a major relief for people who wanted to buy a game, but is too scarce to find.  I'm not sure but I think the Wii had the TGFX too, but not Genesis.  PS3 will have PS2, PS1, TGFX, Genesis and PSP for download, although, only PSP cant play on PS3, only through PSP's Wifi.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 03:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Sep 26 2006, 02:39 AM) View Post

Yes theres a major market for them.  Heard of Ebay? There are old games selling from 60-200 dollars each.  So itll be a major relief for people who wanted to buy a game, but is too scarce to find.  I'm not sure but I think the Wii had the TGFX too, but not Genesis.  PS3 will have PS2, PS1, TGFX, Genesis and PSP for download, although, only PSP cant play on PS3, only through PSP's Wifi.

I wouldn't say the market is "huge" I buy and sell used games on eBay all the time sometimes I'll restart an auction 5 or 6 times do to no bits on a $5 game in pristine condition.

Per-console I can probably count the number of games that fetch over $15 on one hand.

the rare $100+ fetching gamer are... well RARE Panzier Dragoon Saga on the Saturn is probably the highest selling game, I've seen it go for $400+ but AFAIK most of those hard to find titles aren't in any plans to come to any of these official emultors... typically they do the popular games which are already the cheapest on places like eBay because of their abundance.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 04:26:00 AM »

The wii wil have TG and Genesis just not right off the bat. Sega hasn't decided if it will do the same for PS3 yet.

Exist2Resist

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(mike96sc2 @ Sep 26 2006, 10:43 AM) View Post

Maybe next time you'll actually do your homework on this too. You'll see there is nothing official or even in the works it would appear....

Well i thought i have done my home work and i believed that Wii confirmed the existance of Sega and TG16 contennt on their e-marketplace. Apparently not though.

QUOTE(mike96sc2 @ Sep 26 2006, 10:43 AM) View Post

...Okay so maybe I was wrong, they won't be cramming a PS2 inside the PS3, it just won't play PS2 or PS1 games. Seriously tho, how can you advertise and talk about how Blu-Ray isn't buggy technology when you post on your own FAQ that the PS3's Blu-Ray drive might not even play Blu-Ray?

I tell you how, the same way that they have been promising all these features in the PS3 that have misteriously disappeared from the final product, but the price still remains the same.  And they proally figure most peoople that are planning on buying one of those bricks, aren't reading their FAQ's, or they have already made their purchasing decision and arent paying attention to the new media info behind the PS3. And thats how.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(Exist2Resist @ Sep 26 2006, 03:25 PM) View Post

Well i thought i have done my home work and i believed that Wii confirmed the existance of Sega and TG16 contennt on their e-marketplace. Apparently not though.

I was actually referring to Kira's post, but yeah, you weren't too far off.

Yeah I was like wow when I read there's a chance your PS2 or PS1 games or even Blu-Ray discs won't play in the PS3. The big shocker was you could purchase Blu-Ray disc and have it not even play in your Blu-Ray PS3.