xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Cost of Folding  (Read 135 times)

throwingks

• Archived User
The Cost of Folding
« on: March 28, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »

That is a lot of money. I would like to see a yearly chart though because a lot of places charge different amounts based on the time of year.

I.E. AZ charges more during the summer months so that people use the A/C less.

Thraxen

• Archived User
The Cost of Folding
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »

Another pointless bash on the PS3.  That 200W is likely the same or better than your average PC running F@H.  Then factor in that the Cell is roughly 14X faster than a P4 and and 8X faster than a Core Duo at these F@H calculations it's running and suddenly you realize it's actually incredibly efficient as a F@H machine.  Now, if you think F@H is a waste of time either way, that's a different argument, but the PS3 is NOT wasting energy compared to a PC running F@H.  I'm going to have to give up on the media completely, it's simply longer possible for anything to be portrayed fairly when it comes to Sony.  They keep creating garbage stories like this to fuel the Sony hate train.

spinr34

• Archived User
The Cost of Folding
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 02:21:00 AM »

i've been running folding@home since it came out and will continue to do so, 24/7. i don't use my ps3 for anything, i never even turned it on besides a couple times so this is giving my ps3 something to do. it is for a good cause and it makes me happy that my $600 is doing something of worth.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
The Cost of Folding
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 05:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Mar 29 2007, 04:51 AM) View Post

Another pointless bash on the PS3.  That 200W is likely the same or better than your average PC running F@H.  Then factor in that the Cell is roughly 14X faster than a P4 and and 8X faster than a Core Duo at these F@H calculations it's running and suddenly you realize it's actually incredibly efficient as a F@H machine.  Now, if you think F@H is a waste of time either way, that's a different argument, but the PS3 is NOT wasting energy compared to a PC running F@H.  I'm going to have to give up on the media completely, it's simply longer possible for anything to be portrayed fairly when it comes to Sony.  They keep creating garbage stories like this to fuel the Sony hate train.

Please explain how posting factual numbers in relation to wattage usage and cost is a 'pointless bash on the PS3'?? So by calling this a created garbage story, are you saying it *doesn't* cost this much to run?

It is entirely relevent to point out that a games console has found itself being used as a number cruncher instead of it's primary purpose. All IGN have done is inform those running F@H how much their contribution is costing.

Thraxen

• Archived User
The Cost of Folding
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Mar 29 2007, 07:05 AM) View Post

Please explain how posting factual numbers in relation to wattage usage and cost is a 'pointless bash on the PS3'?? So by calling this a created garbage story, are you saying it *doesn't* cost this much to run?

It is entirely relevent to point out that a games console has found itself being used as a number cruncher instead of it's primary purpose. All IGN have done is inform those running F@H how much their contribution is costing.

Basically, I just don't see the point.  They could have at least pointed out how efficient it was at running F@H compared to your average PC.  As presented, all you get are a bunch of responses like we've seen in this thread.

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Mar 29 2007, 08:54 PM) View Post

Well, my PC doesn't do folding at home either, and it isn't on 24 hours a day.

But what's your point?  No one is forcing you to leave your PS3 on all day either.  But if you were going to leave either your PC or PS3 on all day crunching numbers for F@H, the PS3 would get the most work done by far... unless you own a quad core or something similar.

mik30

• Archived User
The Cost of Folding
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Mar 29 2007, 09:28 AM) View Post

i've been running folding@home since it came out and will continue to do so, 24/7. i don't use my ps3 for anything, i never even turned it on besides a couple times so this is giving my ps3 something to do. it is for a good cause and it makes me happy that my $600 is doing something of worth.

24/7... hopefully you also conclude the higher rate of wear your PS3 has. According to a press release of one of the major manufacturers of blue laser diodes the mean time before failure is 1000 hours on power. Since the diode on any optical device is always on if the device is on power your 600$ PS3 is exhausted very soon.

Let us see how much sense you see in the folding@home project if you now take note of this fact.

Thraxen

• Archived User
The Cost of Folding
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(mik30 @ Mar 30 2007, 11:12 AM) View Post

24/7... hopefully you also conclude the higher rate of wear your PS3 has. According to a press release of one of the major manufacturers of blue laser diodes the mean time before failure is 1000 hours on power. Since the diode on any optical device is always on if the device is on power your 600$ PS3 is exhausted very soon.

Let us see how much sense you see in the folding@home project if you now take note of this fact.

I don't think that's true.  I'm pretty sure that the lasers in optical devices are only on when a disc is in the tray.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
The Cost of Folding
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Mar 29 2007, 11:43 PM) View Post

But what's your point?  No one is forcing you to leave your PS3 on all day either.  But if you were going to leave either your PC or PS3 on all day crunching numbers for F@H, the PS3 would get the most work done by far... unless you own a quad core or something similar.

Agreed, although 200W is alot for a console, no one is forcing anyone to keep their consoles on 24/7. It probably wouldn't be the best thing for the console anyway, my n64 froze every time it was on for longer than 6 hours, and i wouldn't dare leave my beloved 360 on overnight.

If your electricity bill is a concern, then turn off all the other lights in your house, or use battery clocks instead of plug-in clocks. hehe, Al Gore.