xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Slow Download Times  (Read 237 times)

MJFOSTER77

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« on: January 26, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »

I just recently bought a ps3. It's pretty cool and all but I tried to download a demo of that driving game and it took forever.  The file was like 500 mb and it took like over 2 hrs to download what gives.  Is anyone else having these problems?

Mr Invader

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »

Its a general problem, even with Xbox Live Marketplace. It's taken me 5 hours to download a 500mb demo on the first day it came out on the XBL. Half a million people all want to download the same thing at the same time, there will be issues. Part of it is that Sony is new to this online console platform and therefore has more problems, even with the small amount of PS3s out there.

Thraxen

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »

I haven't experienced anything like this with Live Marketplace except when they first launch the Video Marketplace.  I once left my PS3 running overnight trying to download the F1 demo (which sucked, BTW) and even after 8 hours it had not finished.  That happened to me twice.  But that was just after Christmas and things have improved a little bit.  It's still much slower than Live overall.  For example, I downloaded the Crackdown demo the day it was released and it took me less than an hour.  Plus, I was able to play some Lost Planet while I waited, something that still can't be done on the PS3.

This post has been edited by Thraxen: Jan 27 2007, 07:27 PM

Pheidias

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »

Xbox live downloads are slow as a monkeyboy for me though, get less then 100kb/s of my 100mb line, and why can we only dl one thing at a time. Are there some kinda limit on the live downloads, I would think if you get great speeds such as 10mb/s the 360 would suffer from slowdowns, meaning games wouldn't be playable. I wish every company had as good a hosting as apple does, maxes out my line every time when I dl trailers

Mr Invader

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Jan 27 2007, 12:16 PM) *

Xbox live downloads are slow as a monkeyboy for me though, get less then 100kb/s of my 100mb line, and why can we only dl one thing at a time. Are there some kinda limit on the live downloads, I would think if you get great speeds such as 10mb/s the 360 would suffer from slowdowns, meaning games wouldn't be playable. I wish every company had as good a hosting as apple does, maxes out my line every time when I dl trailers

If you are saying that you get a connection of 100mbps then i call BS.

Thraxen

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 12:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Jan 27 2007, 12:16 PM) *

You can't dl more than one item, but you can put multiple items in your download queue.  Really, multiple downloads wouldn't help much other than if you had a large download already started and then added a smaller item behind it in the queue.  If your speeds are as bad as you say, then having multiple downloads going at once would simply mean that you would have to wait even longer for one of them to finish.

Pheidias

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 02:32:00 AM »

I would have thought they actually kept content on different locations, if so simultaneous downloads would work like a charm. There is also the fact that sometimes downloading many things even if it is from the same place might give you a higher speed then just dl one.
Still its disappointing as hell, especially with all the talk about how great it is.

Invader don't be jealous  tongue.gif (Mbit/s)

Mr Invader

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Jan 28 2007, 03:39 AM) View Post

Invader don't be jealous  tongue.gif (Mbit/s)

okay... now you're messing with me... ph34r.gif

Thraxen

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »

OK, I just have to know... where do you live that you have access to a 100 Mbit connection?  The fastest I can get here is 10 Mbit via Cox Communications.  Some cable companies offer faster in other areas and some people have access to Verizon's FIOS which has some very fast speeds, but 100 Mbit is very rare... at least in the US.

Pheidias

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »

Somewhere where polar bears walk the streets smile.gif

We are littered with 100Mbit connections here if you have fiber you got access to 100 mbit, some even offer 1gbit connections. and its almost always dirt cheap...

lpezster

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mr Invader @ Jan 28 2007, 12:27 AM) *

If you are saying that you get a connection of 100mbps then i call BS.

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Jan 28 2007, 09:28 PM) *

Somewhere where polar bears walk the streets (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

We are littered with 100Mbit connections here if you have fiber you got access to 100 mbit, some even offer 1gbit connections. and its almost always dirt cheap...

I was just gonna say that, sweden FTW!

Too bad i live in norway, more expensive here.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Jan 28 2007, 01:50 PM) View Post

OK, I just have to know... where do you live that you have access to a 100 Mbit connection?  The fastest I can get here is 10 Mbit via Cox Communications.  Some cable companies offer faster in other areas and some people have access to Verizon's FIOS which has some very fast speeds, but 100 Mbit is very rare... at least in the US.

Actually, i hate to one-up anything... But my father works for a certain company which has one of the best commercial connections money can buy. Just the download speed alone is 6Gbps. I only wish that i was kidding, it's maximum bandwidth is 22 terabytes. When he told me this my jaw litterally dropped. I'm not making this up.

Pheidias

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »

Sneak in and setup a top-box smile.gif

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mr Invader @ Jan 28 2007, 07:33 PM) View Post

Actually, i hate to one-up anything... But my father works for a certain company which has one of the best commercial connections money can buy. Just the download speed alone is 6Gbps. I only wish that i was kidding, it's maximum bandwidth is 22 terabytes. When he told me this my jaw litterally dropped. I'm not making this up.

Well since we're in fantasy land, I have a fleet of escalades. I have a different hue for every day of the month. I kicked heff out of my mansion and I'm gonna go spend some quality time with holly in a minute. Oh yeah and my flacid phallus is well over a foot. I have more bw than your dad's work on my private jet. I am solely responsible for bringing peace to the earth, making all religions understand and not hate one another and renaming the political parties, right and left-out.

That's it for BCfosheezy's special ed creative writing class. Please Tune in every Thursday for another lesson.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
Slow Download Times
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(BCfosheezy @ Feb 1 2007, 02:15 PM) View Post

Well since we're in fantasy land, I have a fleet of escalades. I have a different hue for every day of the month. I kicked heff out of my mansion and I'm gonna go spend some quality time with holly in a minute. Oh yeah and my flacid phallus is well over a foot. I have more bw than your dad's work on my private jet. I am solely responsible for bringing peace to the earth, making all religions understand and not hate one another and renaming the political parties, right and left-out.

That's it for BCfosheezy's special ed creative writing class. Please Tune in every Thursday for another lesson.

wtf? uhh.gif