xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: More Zune Phone Rumors: WiMax, Announcement soon, ...  (Read 230 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
More Zune Phone Rumors: WiMax, Announcement soon, ...
« on: February 09, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | February 9 20:33 EST

From crunchgear.com:

It looks like MS is working on a mobile WiMax-enabled Zune Phone, which would have download speeds of up to 2Mbps, fast enough for the Xbox-to-Zune streaming we've heard about, and fast enough for just about anything else the Zune Phone might be used for.

The first real news is that we can expect to hear an announcement from Redmond about it before March 17, St. Patrick's Day, at which time we should learn the name of the device. At the same time, we should also learn other launch specifics, and here's where it gets incredibly juicy; our source says that, pending FCC approval, the specter-like Zune Phone will hit the streets sometime in May, a full month before the iPhone.

Our source says that an iPhone competitor has been in the works for a while, and the idea of branding it as part of the Zune ecosystem, from the brown color through the interface, came as a recent decision as a response to Apple's iPhone. The source didn't go into details about features, as they don't know specifics--they're not yet all finalized.

The WiFi sharing capabilities were the unique feature that was supposed to set the Zune apart, but unless you had another user in the area with sharing turned on, it was wasted battery, even in airports or Midtown Manhattan.
The Zune Phone remedies this by allowing you to share music not via WiFi, but via WiMax, so that anyone on your friends list who is online can sample your music, and vice versa. By using the mobile WiMax network, you can be in New York and your friend can be in San Jose and you can send him that Shins song you like.

Full Story: crunchgear.com

eatshitanddie

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »

time to get mobile fone! for me

hyfall381

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »

i just got a zune. my gf did too. we both love it. sure..its a little bigger than an ipod, but having a bigger screen is worth in, imo.  the whole wimax part of the new zune phone sounds cool, as does the 2mb speeds. but it pisses me off that they havent done this with the zune.  i hope there with be an update for the zune that will allow wimax and a friends list and all that, as well as wifi streaming with the xbox360. i just spent $250 on this thing. i dont want m$ to make me feel like i just waisted my money cause something better is comming up just around the corner!

sicknasty413

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »

^ yea seriously. I got my Zune for xmas..If they whip out a ZunePhone soon..I'm gonna be pissed. Though, I guess it doesn't really matter..seeing as how my cell phone contract won't end for like 1.5 more years  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

metalcoat

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(hyfall381 @ Feb 10 2007, 02:59 AM) View Post

i just got a zune. my gf did too. we both love it. sure..its a little bigger than an ipod, but having a bigger screen is worth in, imo.  the whole wimax part of the new zune phone sounds cool, as does the 2mb speeds. but it pisses me off that they havent done this with the zune.  i hope there with be an update for the zune that will allow wimax and a friends list and all that, as well as wifi streaming with the xbox360. i just spent $250 on this thing. i dont want m$ to make me feel like i just waisted my money cause something better is comming up just around the corner!

I think you meant enabling Wifi in the zune, but is it even regular b or g wifi or some proprietary wifi chip?

rezonat0r

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »

The Zune Phone remedies this by allowing you to share music not via WiFi, but via WiMax, so that anyone on your friends list who is online can sample your music, and vice versa. By using the mobile WiMax network, you can be in New York and your friend can be in San Jose and you can send him that Shins song you like.

WiMax?  You mean the successor to WiFi that isn't even available yet?  Much less widely deployed?  Yeah, a month before the iPhone.  Riiiiiight.  And just what does WiMax do that WiFi doesn't except have more range?  It certainly doesn't go from New York to San FRICKIN' Jose, so you might as well be talking about the new Zune feature of using carrier pigeons to trade CDs!  At least both ways your music is brown and enclosed in shit.

This article is not only FUD, but doesn't even contain the molecules to form a precursor to a clue.

Move along.

h3xagram

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 03:17:00 AM »

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »

I'm actually a bit relieved. I just got a new phone, don't want to have to go out and spend again.  tongue.gif