xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modifying A Samsung Pc Dvd-rom  (Read 1190 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Modifying A Samsung Pc Dvd-rom
« on: May 19, 2003, 06:35:00 PM »

Appropriate topic for this group...

I haven't done it, but I was involved with early and ongoing queries about doing a firmware transfer...

Anybody here have success with it?

headhntrthx

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 07:13:00 PM »

I have not had success, but I have failed once. No more dvd modding for me. I choose to just buy the right stuff first and never touch it.

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 12:56:00 AM »

Ben,

A huge success for me thanks.....

What a relief too after pot tweaking my phillips to death (still reads cd-r's though?!)

......... only bad thing about this is the white tray, but hell i can live with that, the drive is great.

Also i tried to transfer the original yellow wire connector and it almost worked, but the white plastic did not like my soldering iron......lol  smile.gif

And after a bit of a massacreing to my xbox it even fits perfectly!

My thanks go out to the guy(s) who discovered this one  beerchug.gif

R

Fire

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 05:59:00 AM »

hey shorty... have u got pics of the final result and pics of it as its being completed?

biggrin.gif
cheers

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 06:33:00 AM »

Fire

Im sorry, i have no digital camera.... only thing i have is a grainy webcam type thing..... do you want pics from that?....... i can do it later tonight when i get back from work.

Also, a pic of final result and a pic of it being complete....... aren't they the same?

thx

james_row

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 08:25:00 AM »

I did mine and two other Xboxes. They are all 616F and all are still doing great. I used the drive to watch DivX of SmallVille season 1 and 2. Except for the white tray, it's hardly noticeable that it was replaced as it fits snugly.

johnney5

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 08:52:00 AM »

Yea im really looking for a place to buy em, i cant find them in any stores, and im having trouble finding the exact model online. Anyone got any good sellers?

KarelThaZouk

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 01:24:00 PM »

i did the mod myself,put a samsung dvd drive 616t, flashed the 605 firmware,did the mod that is in the xboxhacker forums,and i had no problem to read nothing.. i did this maybe 1 month ago,and no problems,the samsung works just great,just some cuts on the front tray,to fit the xbox original front plate,and the scatfold,and it fits just great..
Reads all that i put inside,cdr,dvdr,original, even old cheap cds..
i recommend this mod to all,i had a philips,did the pot tweak,and nothing,just worked worst..
SAMSUNG RULES,buy one,do the mod,it worths the work..

elduderino1234

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 02:02:00 PM »

could somebody post a link to that tut on xboxhacker?

[FrEEzEr]

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 01:32:00 AM »

Done it a few weeks ago and it worked right away! B)

It took some time to mod it (solder part is easy, but to get it perfectly fit in the xbox is quite time consuming).

BTW for everyone who wants to buy  616T in the netherlands --> www.comptechworld.nl

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2003, 04:42:00 AM »

A great tip i worked out for cutting plastic in xbox when making your drive fit......

You heat your stanley knife (exacto knife??) with the soldering (sodering??) iron before cutting....and

....its like cutting through butter

beerchug.gif

elduderino1234

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2003, 08:38:00 AM »

can anybody post a link to the tutorial? i cant seem to find it

Anushian

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2003, 10:51:00 AM »

FrEze2k1

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2003, 11:41:00 AM »

hmmm, xbox hacker seems to be down, an other tutorial links?

PSXCopyCat

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2003, 08:27:00 PM »

Heres the poop!

BE ADVISED - THIS IS PRELIMINARY INFO SUBJECT TO CHANGE
ANY CORRECTIONS WILL BE MADE TO THIS FIRST POST, SO YOU DON"T HAVE TO WADE THROUGH THE WHOLE THREAD FOR THE LATEST INFO. CHECK THE EDIT DATE TO BE SURE YOU HAVE CURRENT INFO!

DONT ASK ME FOR FIRMWARE!

I am releasing this so others can get started experimenting. I have no digital camera or scannner so someone else must make the tutorial and determine the easiest way. (come on now, i did the hard part . I used the SD-616T, I have no other drives to work on and do not support any but 616T.

FAQ:
THE 616Q WILL NOT WORK DO NOT ASK AGAIN!
The 616T main PCB is marked 616F.
The 616F seems to be OK but needs additional modification to the plastic tray. Read the threads to see what others have done to get the 616F to work. I do not cover it in this HowTo, nor have I tried it.
Works with Originals, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CDR, CDRW. I do not have +R so it is unknown.
Full Eject support, correctly handles: Eject while disk spinning, tray open power off, software eject.

There is a white ribbon cable that connects the front panel PCB to the rear main PCB. The connections on this cable are:

W1-GND
W2-OPEN SWITCH uP#164
W3-LED via transistor @ uP#168
W4-AVCC (+12)
W5-CLOSE SWITCH up#163
W6-PLAY SWITCH (unused in 605) @uP#167
W7-EJECT SWITCH uP#166
W8-Motor+
W9-Motor-
W10-
W11-
W12-GND
W13-MUTE up#???

The Up seems to have I/O port on pins 162...169
162-??
163-Trin
164-??Mute
165-???
166-EJECT
167-PLAY
168-LED
169-TP

STEP 1 FLASH:

FLASH THE 616T with the SDG-605 Firmware. Read the other thread ("has anybody looked at this in a while") to find links to MTKFLASH and find the 605 bios in the "usual places". MTKFLASH can extract the firmware from the SDG-605. Please don't bug me for the firmware.

STEP 2 MODIFY 616T MAIN PCB:

What I did was unsolder the audio connector on the 616. Isolating the 4 pins from the PCB. This gives me 4 pin connector to route the yellow wire signals into the drive. I then took an audio cable (4 conducter) and plug it into the 616 audio out, the other end gets connected to same points on Xbox main board where the DVD yellow connector plugs in. This way the drive can be easily removed without additional soldering/unsoldering. Since these signals are unused for PC, the drive will now work in PC or Xbox with the 605 FW.

Back of drive:

DA Audio
[..] [....] [IDE...............] [POWER]

I will use 1234 to refer to these audio pin numbers according to diagram above.

Since the audio pins carry signals they must first be isolated. I did it by carefully unsoldering the 4 pins so they do not touch circuit board. Ther may be an easier way (cut traces) but it works. Then connect 30 gauge wire wrap wire to the audio connector pins, being careful not to accidentaly resolsolder the whole pin back onto PCB. Connect the other ends of these 4 wires as follows:

Pin1 - !Eject Signal
Where the ribbon cable enters main PCB see the signal name "EJECT". The upper left corner of the signal name is the contact point.
Pin2 - !Trin
Where the ribbon cable enters main PCB see the signal name "TRIN". Left of the signal name is the contact point.
Pin3 - !Trout
Where the ribbon cable enters main PCB see the signal name "TROUT". The upper RIGHT corner of the signal name is the contact point.

********IMPORTANT CHANGE MADE HERE*********
Pin4 - Ready
Almost dead center of circuit board are 2 above average size solder pads Use the one Marked M1.

"contact point" is closest bare solder pad, where you solder your wire.
"signal name" is white lettering on PCB.

At this point you should have 4 wires connecting the audio connector to the 4 points described above. I tacked 'em with a little hot glue.

STEP 3: FRONT PANEL PCB MODIFICATION:

If someone can patch 605 firmware, this step can eventually be eliminated.

The tray motor phase need to be reversed. On the front panel PCB you will see 2 large solder blobs where the tray moter is soldered to PCB. These are the connections that need to be reversed. Carefully cut both traces going to these blobs. Connect a wire wrap wire from one blob to the point where the other blob USED to be connected. Connect another wire from the other blob to where the first one USED to be connected. Basically you are simply reversing the connections to the tray motor. Do not just unsolder the tray motor like we did the audio connector, since the motor has motion that could lead to intermittent shorts. At this point the tray motor has 2 wires connected to it that reverse the connection to the motor.

OR

Unsolder tray motor, remove it, rotate it 180 degrees, reinstall it and resolder.

Button up the drive. Put it in a PC. Bios should detect as SDG-605. You should be able to use drive normally in PC at this point. (*Don't plug in audio connector*). If drive does not function you did something wrong (did you flash?). Check all connections and try again!

DRIVE MODIFICATION IS FINISHED!!!

STEP4: PROVIDE CONNECTION TO XBOX MAIN BOARD:

Now we need to provide connections from XBOX main PCB to the modified audio connector on the 616.

This is the pinout of our modified 616T

Audio Cable Pin1 - DVD Pin8 - !Eject
Audio Cable Pin2 - DVD Pin3 - !Trin
Audio Cable Pin3 - DVD Pin4 - !Trout
Audio Cable Pin4 - DVD Pin9 - Ready

And this is the pinout of the back of the XDVD player.
|1 2 3 4 5 6 |
-|7 8 9 10 11 12 |-

We need to grab the signals on 3,4,8,9 and connect them to the modified audio plug for our setup to work.

Two ways:

FOLLOW WIRES from XDVD connector to XBOX main PCB and connect 4 wires from audio cable to the corresponding points on main PCB. Likely requires main board removal.You could also splice into the yellow wires.

Or Quicker:

ReUse XDVD harness.
BEFORE REMOVING ANY PINS MARK WITH PERM MARKER SO YOU CAN GO BACK!
Plug into XBox main board yellow harness as usual. On other end, remove the 4 yellow wires from the connector that plugs into the XDVD. Use a little pin to pry up the release tab made of white plastic holding each pin into the connector. Take a flat PC audio connector and remove all 4 wires from it using same (pin pry) method. Push the yelllow wires into the audio connector shell in the correct order. Take note the rotation of the pin as you plug it into the PC audio connector. There should be a little snap as the wire locks in.

STEP 5: PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER AND TEST!

Use a Y cable to power the DVD and HD, Plug harness from XBOX main board to the audio connector (Make sure you don't plug in backwards!)

Turn on your Xbox and ENJOY CDR !!

************PICS*****************************

Heres a block diagram posted by XovationX:
http://image1ex.vill...asp?id_=2074852

Heres some main PCB pix from Arakon 616T or 616F:
http://pirate.sparkh...akon/wiring.jpg

These motor pix are from Arakon's 616F
http://pirate.sparkh...otor-before.jpg
http://pirate.sparkh...n/motor-cut.jpg
http://pirate.sparkh...motor-after.jpg

Arakon's pix of tray mod for 616F: (NOT T!)
http://pirate.sparkh...amsung/fix.html

Thanks to Eboy2003 for helpin me get started on this!
GOOD LUCK AND POST YOUR RESULTS

Edited by Tiros - Apr 18 2003, 02:44 PM

copy/paste
Pages: [1] 2