xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Pandora's Battery With Psp V3.80 Firmware?  (Read 362 times)

Nine-Breaker

• Archived User
Pandora's Battery With Psp V3.80 Firmware?
« on: January 07, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »

My psp has version 3.80 and I want to know if the pandora's battery will still downgrade it. If anyone knows any other way that I could downgrade my please let me know. Also, anything that I need to know to make sure I don't break my psp when I make the pandora's battery.

derf

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »

It should work with any version, but I can't confirm it does they may have found a way to block this on the latest FW.

There is no other way.

You can only make a Pandora Battery on a custom FW PSP

hardwork

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(derf @ Jan 10 2008, 04:30 PM) View Post

It should work with any version, but I can't confirm it does they may have found a way to block this on the latest FW.

There is no other way.

You can only make a Pandora Battery on a custom FW PSP

Not true mate you dony need a modded psp to make your pandoras battery or the mem card 100%
if you need any help just give me a pm!
Ok, so you want to unbrick or downgrade your PSP but don't have a PSP capable of running homebrew apps. No problem! In this tutorial I will show you how to modify the battery's hardware to make it activate service mode.

Please note that while this concept may work on non-Sony batteries, only official batteries are guaranteed to have the same internals, so we recommend using one.

STEP 1:
The first thing you need to do is obviously crack open the battery. Surprisingly, the battery isn't very hard to get in to. In this picture you can see that I'm just using a guitar pick to slide in through an edge and slide around the perimeter of the battery to seperate the two halves.

STEP 2:

Next, we need to locate a certain chip. The chip has the model number S93C56 printed on it. We are going to need to desolder pin 5 and lift it off of the board. Here is a magnified view of the board, which shows where the chip is and which pin needs to be lifted.

Newer batteries have a much smaller board with a different layout. The same chip needs to have the pin lifted, but the chip is in a different position. Once you've located chip S93C56, the rest of the instructions are basically the same. This has been confirmed with the 2200 mAH Official Sony battery.

STEP 3:

If you are not confident in your soldering skills, have a less than steady hand or have a larger-than-optimal sized tip, please desolder the cell pack from the battery first. If you make contact between pins 5 and 6 then you will short ground to +3.6VDC! Not good! When desoldering the cell, only keep the iron on long enough to melt the solder. If you can, use a higher wattage iron so that the tip will be hotter, but you won't transfer as much heat to the cell pack. Remember that heat + Li-Ion battery = large explosion (t3h sux0r5, unless you get in on video. Twisted Evil Seriously though, this operation is not for the faint hearted, and should definitely not be your first soldering experience. I recommend trying your hand on lifting the pins on an N64 CPU chip. Surely if you spend enough time here you have a couple killed N64 mobos laying around. Razz)

Now is actually desoldering the pin. There are a few ways you could do this, but I think my method is the best because its less likely to damage components near by. Use an Xacto knife with a sharp tip and try to put it underneath the pin. Get somebody to hold a soldering iron (WITH A VERY FINE CONICAL TIP!) on the pin. When the solder melts you can pop the pin up with the knife. Be sure not to hold the iron on the board too long to avoid the lithium battery from getting too hot and exploding. When your done it will look something like this.

STEP 4:

Finally, close the battery's casing. Use some Krazy Glue to keep it closed, or just use electrical tape around the edges like I did. I don't actually recommend the electrical tape as it makes the battery very snug in the compartment and it takes a bit of force to get it out. You can use the battery just like a regular Pandora's battery. As for getting the Memory Stick files, I can tell you that they are out there and you can find them after a bit of Googling. However, I can't tell you exactly where to find them as they contain copyrighted Sony code, and sharing them is illegal.

How does this work?

The pin that we just lifted was actually the ground pin of the EEPROM. Removing this pin effectively shuts off the EEPROM. When the microcontroller inside the battery tries to read the EEPROM, it will think the EEPROM contains all 1s (in binary). This is because of the pull-up resistors on the data lines. So the microcontroller returns a serial number of 0xFFFFFFFF to the PSP, which then goes into service mode.

You can use an Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem! to create mem stick but format it first using mspformat

Another Method

One wire Pandora battery for slim or FAT

FAT battery

SLIM battery

UPMS Ultimate Pandora Magic Stick Installer
http://www.jumpingim...._Installer.cso

if link doesnt work do a google search on UPMS Ultimate pandora magic stick
download or installer

Installation:
1) Format Mem Stick in PSP
1) You need to have 150.PBP, 340.PBP, 371.PBP and UPDATE.PBP in the root of your mem stick in order to
install this. [Ex: F:\>]
2) Copy CSO to ISO folder
3) Run in Game XMB
4) Choose Trio Install

Some usage notes:
1) To boot (Phat Only) to XMB turn on PSP
2) To boot a Slim
---2.1) Power off and remove your battery.
---2.2) Insert P.U.M.S. and push power switch to HOLD.
---2.3) Now hold L and insert your Pandora Battery.
---2.4) Release L when the MS light or screen flashes.
---2.5) UL will automatically assign the 3.71 folders and launch DCv3.
3) To Boot a Phat to Ultimate Loader
---3.1) hold L on boot. or Hold L while turning on PSP

sorry bout the pics not showing hope this makes it really easy!

derf

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »

Just search Google, you can buy them on the net, unless your mad  blink.gif and want to start taking batteries apart...

EuroHEV

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »

I just modded my PSP Slim from Official Firmware 3.90 to Custom Firmware 3.80 M33. So yes, you can do it!

All I needed was a Memory Stick, a Datel Tool Battery* and this guide: http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/610313.

They explain everything clearfully and all you'll do is download a piece of software that will guide you through everything. Believe me, it's the easiest guide to follow in the whole wide web. But remember this, you need to do everything they explain on a Windows XP machine. You can't, I repeat, YOU CAN'T DO IT on a Vista machine. Try it on Vista and you'll only a black screen when trying to launch the Pandora Menu.

* Buy yourself a Datel Tool Battery. It will save you the pain of having to mod a battery. Plus, they only sell it for like 25$.

XirXes

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »

i took apart my psp slim battery to do thisand i didn't even need to solder. now i use time machine to boot so if i want to i can boot to firmware 1.5 or Despertar del Cementerio so if i put my memory stick and battery in someone elses psp i can mod it wherever i want. its very useful.

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »

For anyone that's one a few modchips or is fairly competent at soldering, its more than easy to hardmod a battery as a Pandora... and to change it back once you are done...

...but then again, if you were competent or comfortable with soldering, you probabley wouldn't be asking smile.gif

warbeast

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »

to save cash and time waiting for a fancy battery at a silly price just buy another normal battery for like a fiver then mod one for flashing its not hard to just brake one leg off a chip

thats what i did i would have  used a switch on the battery only my psp came with the new 110 battery with the small pcb as far as i know this cant be moded for flashing i tried cutting the leg nothing happed!!!!

so i just brought another sony battery for a fiver cut the leg flashed then put my other battery back

beasty54

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(warbeast @ May 19 2008, 10:01 PM) View Post

to save cash and time waiting for a fancy battery at a silly price just buy another normal battery for like a fiver then mod one for flashing its not hard to just brake one leg off a chip

thats what i did i would have  used a switch on the battery only my psp came with the new 110 battery with the small pcb as far as i know this cant be moded for flashing i tried cutting the leg nothing happed!!!!

so i just brought another sony battery for a fiver cut the leg flashed then put my other battery back

I have the new 110 battery and converted it to a pandora no problem but i didn't do it by breaking one of the legs on the chip. I used a very sharp but small blade to scrape away a particular trace on the pcb then used a larger capacity battery to run the PSP

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »

I just converted my fat psp to pandora with the software switch. Then you just plug in the ac pack and switch it back.  Easy as pie.

I keep the magic card in the psp pocket and flash tons of them on the go.

Never understood why someone would buy another battery.

warbeast

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(beasty54 @ May 19 2008, 09:15 PM) View Post

I have the new 110 battery and converted it to a pandora no problem but i didn't do it by breaking one of the legs on the chip. I used a very sharp but small blade to scrape away a particular trace on the pcb then used a larger capacity battery to run the PSP

what track did u cut mate dont have the new 110 anymore but will handey to know

are you sure its the new psp-110 under made in china the long code should end in c
and the board looks like this  http://img443.images...epromjpgkp0.jpg

reason i ask is over on pspmods.com the posts on what they call a Pandora proof battery are recent witch is why i stoped looking