xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Psp And Region Coding?  (Read 79 times)

XeroKitsune

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »

Well the US PSPs have been reliced the, so now there are 2 regions on the market has anyone tried using a Japanise game on a US PSP or a US game on a Japanise PSP?
I ask because previous portables from Nintendo(and even the sega gamegear) did not include region locks on thier games. I was wondering if Sony was locking down thier games to local markets the way the main consoles are.

Nosf3ratu

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 02:01:00 PM »

Only the UMD movies are region coded, the games aren't supposed to be.

Altima NEO

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »

Well Ive got my Jap PSP and my new US PSP
I tested Twisted Metal (US)on both, and it works great
Tested Ridge Racers (JP) on both, and again it works great

however!
I tested Spiderman 2 on JP PSP and it did not work! (Gave an incorrect region error)
It worked fine on the US PSP

Physically, both appear to be the same hardware, and same design

XeroKitsune

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »

Ahh good to know, I wanted to know since I enjoy picking up imports. smile.gif

tNCecil

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »

Yep, Neos right on! smile.gif

Nosf3ratu

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 11:32:00 PM »

Like I said before, only the movies are region coded.

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »

I'd like to hear more about this.. I sold my Jap units.. and got US PSP's now..

I need to know what JAP titles work on the US units.

Please list your units, region of unit, games, and region for the game. I'm skeptical.. and don't wish to spend money on titles I might not be able to play.

I'll also be appointing some mods for this forum in the next few days. Helpful people will be considered.

The*galloping*zebra

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 10:46:00 AM »

Like I said before, only the movies are region coded

Yes, they are now. but don't Sony have the ability to region code games too?. Sony could region lock them when ever they like just to stop importists cashing in on sales to Europe. Import sales would drop dramatically as importists do not have the edge on selling that is 'Region free - worldwide'. they would be restricted to the buyers who don't mind the region lock or they travel alot.
This is one of the reasons i'm going to hold back buying a PSP till the EU launch. becuase of this region lock  If i were to buy a PSP from the US 1) I would not be able to play R2 movies and 2) there might be a possibility of not playing games in my region. So if they do put a region lock on I would be stuck importing US games forever! resticting me alot.
So.. in short They may not be region locked now.. But you never know.. They could be..
But I bet before then it will be hacked, cracked and modded to high heaven with modchips and region hacks galore.. smile.gif

xBaNaNaEv0LuTiOnx

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 08:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(The*galloping*zebra @ Apr 13 2005, 11:52 AM)
Yes, they are now. but don't Sony have the ability to region code games too?. Sony could region lock them when ever they like just to stop importists cashing in on sales to Europe. Import sales would drop dramatically as importists do not have the edge on selling that is 'Region free - worldwide'. they would be restricted to the buyers who don't mind the region lock or they travel alot.
This is one of the reasons i'm going to hold back buying a PSP till the EU launch. becuase of this region lock  If i were to buy a PSP from the US 1) I would not be able to play R2 movies and 2) there might be a possibility of not playing games in my region. So if they do put a region lock on I would be stuck importing US games forever! resticting me alot.
So.. in short They may not be region locked now.. But you never know.. They could be..
But I bet before then it will be hacked, cracked and modded to high heaven with modchips and region hacks galore.. :)

there is a possibility that the games could be locked down, but i personally do not see a reason for sony to do so. if the psp were a stationary unit, then they might have all the reason to. however the psp was designed for portability and there are people who would take it overseas with the possiblity of buying games overseas. as for european sales, it's only temporary. it's eventually going to be released and the prices will fall down to retail (or around there at least).

or another reason could be that the psp does not run on NTSC/PAL video standards to the best of my knowledge. i believe that the psp uses MPEG4, or some form of it.

markland556

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 11:55:00 AM »

maby they just wanted to be nice with the games???? tongue.gif
well i just got my JAP PSP and i got no games, so its reallly good to hear i can go out and buy one in the store, the movie thing doesnt really bother me because im not gunna pay $30-$50 for a movie i can only watch on my PSP. beerchug.gif

The*galloping*zebra

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »

Well.. when memory cards get cheaper and greater in size.. I would just convert my DVD's into some kind of DIVX conpression format and watch them off that.
Also they should make some kind of Compact flash to memory stick adaptor, cf = cheaper at this moment.
I heard from somewhere that Sony want to make UMD disc's a 'universal media' such as DVD's are right now. If more and more companies bring out UMD players/drives/burners I wouldn't mind buying UMD movies. But untill then.. whats the point in if your restricted to your PSP?.

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(The*galloping*zebra @ Apr 14 2005, 12:11 PM)
Well.. when memory cards get cheaper and greater in size.. I would just convert my DVD's into some kind of DIVX conpression format and watch them off that.
Also they should make some kind of Compact flash to memory stick adaptor, cf = cheaper at this moment.
I heard from somewhere that Sony want to make UMD disc's a 'universal media' such as DVD's are right now. If more and more companies bring out UMD players/drives/burners I wouldn't mind buying UMD movies. But untill then.. whats the point in if your restricted to your PSP?.

Sony has stated that they will not permit any UMD burning devices. Since they own all of the rights to the UMD format don't expect a UMD burner untill well after the next PSP comes out.

paulmitch

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 10:24:00 AM »

Hi,
I have just received a US PSP and got myself a copy of Ridge Racer and on the back of the UMD case is what looks like a Region 1 symbol but it doesn't state it will only play in a region 1 PSP. Any ideas?
Thanks

xBaNaNaEv0LuTiOnx

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(paulmitch @ Apr 16 2005, 10:54 AM)
Hi,
I have just received a US PSP and got myself a copy of Ridge Racer and on the back of the UMD case is what looks like a Region 1 symbol but it doesn't state it will only play in a region 1 PSP. Any ideas?
Thanks

same here on wipeout. i think it might just be to indicate the originating region. unless they want to lock down in future firmwares...

Modiller

• Archived User
Psp And Region Coding?
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 05:56:00 AM »

PSP

- JAP unit
- Ridge Racers (NTSC works fine)
- Wipe Out (NTSC works fine)
- NFSU Rivals (NTSC works fine)

Edit: HSDEMONZ is looking for US unit/jap game list.

This post has been edited by Modiller: Apr 23 2005, 12:56 PM
Pages: [1] 2