xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Computer Freezing And/or Rebooting  (Read 121 times)

gotmilf99

• Archived User
Computer Freezing And/or Rebooting
« on: August 17, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »

Just looking for a few suggestions on this one...The problem is my wifes computer. It's either freezing up or even sometimes when you try to do anything it will reboot. It will run for awhile, couple hours or overnight and then the problem happens. What I've done so far is I formatted a new drive with fresh install of windows xp, different memory, video card. I'm not sure if it could be motherboard or even power supply. I was leaning towards it being a software issue but now I'm not sure.  And I still can't rule out the memory 100%...the basic specs are an amd 3700+,  7300gs pci-e video card, 512mb. If the actual motherboard model will help I can get that. Thanks.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »

Boot Memtest86 to do a full diagnostic on the RAM.
If you have a spare PSU. . . try that. It may be unstable voltage on the PSU, but I'd go with a memory test first.

gotmilf99

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 04:22:00 PM »

Ok well I ran that memtest on all memory chips I have. The current test has been running for a couple days 123rd pass. Still no errors. All the spare psu's I have are used so it wouldn't be a good test for that. Anything else you can think of that could cause this?

ps. Like I said I reinstalled xp but I haven't d/l any of the service packs yet. You don't think that would do it would ya.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 06:43:00 PM »

Install the latest drivers for all your peripherals. You get these from the manufacturer's website.
If you still get random restarts or freezing, try this:

Boot the PC with only the most basic peripherals & use it like that for a while.

· Keyboard
· Mouse
· hard drive
· video card (if not integrated)

If you don't get any errors, then start installing other hardware/drivers one item at a time. Play with the PC for a couple hours after each new hardware item (surf the net, view a video or two, restart the PC a couple times, etc...). If you don't get any errors, move to the next hardware item. If it freezes or restarts after installing something, then you've found your problem.

I still think the PSU is a possible problem though.

This post has been edited by Alex548: Today, 02:49 AM