xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Small Motherboard?  (Read 52 times)

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
Small Motherboard?
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »

Anyone know if they make a really small yet powerful motherboard that will fit into a case approximately
220 x140x45mm  in size. I want to go as small as possible with the motherboard so I have more room for other things, but I have not seen a motherboard this small.

I need something small, cheap and also something with decent power.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Small Motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »

Cheap, powerful and decent power in that small of a size?......  biggrin.gif

Mini-itx form factor is 170mm x 170mm so thats not going to fit for you.

Nano-itx will fit @ 120mm x 120mm, but powerful they are not.

Pico-itx is even smaller than that @ 100mm x 72mm and even less powerful.

They are impressive with the number of features they cram in such a small area, but their intent was never to be a powerhouse.

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
Small Motherboard?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Feb 1 2009, 03:03 AM) View Post

Cheap, powerful and decent power in that small of a size?......  biggrin.gif

Mini-itx form factor is 170mm x 170mm so thats not going to fit for you.

Nano-itx will fit @ 120mm x 120mm, but powerful they are not.

Pico-itx is even smaller than that @ 100mm x 72mm and even less powerful.

They are impressive with the number of features they cram in such a small area, but their intent was never to be a powerhouse.

Well your power and my power could be completely different. I don't want something crappy celeron processor. I just need something for every day computing and some slight video editing.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Small Motherboard?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(FILTHY J NASTY @ Jan 31 2009, 06:30 PM) View Post

Well your power and my power could be completely different. I don't want something crappy celeron processor. I just need something for every day computing and some slight video editing.

well this is th ebest nano-itx board ive been able to find http://www.logicsupp...oducts/nx15000g

although im not sure how the cpu stacks up to mainstream intels and amds, and with only a gig of ram and onboard grahics im not sure how it will work for video editing, factor in the price and youd be better off just getting a larger case and a normal motherboard, lol

what kind of case do you have thats that small?

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Small Motherboard?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(FILTHY J NASTY @ Jan 31 2009, 06:30 PM) View Post

A "crappy celeron" is likely better performing than the Via C7 that is on a Nano-itx.  That processor is comparable to a P3 Tualatin/Coppermine 1.0ghz.

If you could at least fit a Mini-itx, intel and jetway makes a couple boards that are socketed in LGA775, LGA479, and AM2+, all the other ones come with surface mounted Via processors or Intel atoms, which are designed for ultra low power consumption and ultra low performance.

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
Small Motherboard?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »

I was hoping to fit everything inside an xbox 360 HD-DVD drive, but as I have come to the conclusion, it won't be worth it unless I can find an older style cheaper Nano-itx, as the 200+ one you linked to wont perform.

So right now I am in search of a really cheap old slow nano-itx motherboard as it will just be for server now. (I really want to do this mod, and I need a server anyway)

Anyone wanna help me find something?