xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: One Question And One Project I'd Like To Share :d  (Read 124 times)

SC10-E

• Archived User
One Question And One Project I'd Like To Share :d
« on: December 28, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »

Hey guys, kind of a long story.

Dec 23 - I had taken my hard drives out, both IDE, and put one in temporarily to install an OS on it for my friend. After we were done, I put my Hard Drives back in and everything was good. Dec 24 - I turned on my computer and it went to my desktop, but my wallpaper didn't show. Then I remembered that all my media was on my secondary D Drive I used for media. I went to my computer and D wasn't there sad.gif So I rebooted and everything was fine. DEC 25 - My computer stopped recognizing my primary slave completely. D WOULD NOT show up. Rebooted, nothing. So I opened up my case and removed D off of my connections, rebooted. Then I rebooted after putting D back in. Gone. Then I rebooted with C out but D in. It recognized. Then I put C as the slave and D as the primary. NEITHER SHOWED. (This is all on my BIOS now mind you, not Windows.) Then I put C back ONLY and on Primary. Didnt Show. Put it on Slave. Shows. This is now the only configuration I can get to work, C on the Slave Slot (Shows up as master still) adn I really need to get to my D drive.

Is there something wrong with my IDe controller, or maybe the cable? Or is it my Mobo getting ancient? To my dismay I also found out that day my Mobo has FOUR SATA ports (something eMachines fails to tell anyone about in the specs of my model, ANYWHERE, and that I was oblivious to for 2 years now, through installing the second Hard Drive, more RAM, and a new GFX Card).

Anyway, yeah google isn't helping, maybe you guys can.

ON A POSITIVE NOTE!

I blew my HDTV savings on a new PC! (Figured I don't need another TV that much, our Plasma is just fine)

And not just any PC, I'm building a Mini-ITX PC. For just over $420 on Newegg, I got:

- Apex Black and Silver Case w/ 250W Power Supply

- G-Skill 2x2GB DDR2 PC8500 Dual Channel

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Brisbane 5600+ 2.9Ghz 65W

- ZOTAC GF8200-C-E AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

- WD Caviar Black 7200PRM SATA 3Gbs/sec 1TB

I'm thinking I MAY need to get a bigger Power Supply, but I doubt it as I got the 65W Brisbane...I would have gotten one of those 65W Phenoms but I didn't have $200 to spend on a processor and I don't do PC gaming, lol.

What you guys think?

RiceCake

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »

If your computer starts having really bizarre symptoms like that check the capacitors on the motherboard and in the power supply. A stolen formula for capacitors has plagued computers for years, and they can appear puffed up, explode, etc, generally not good.

Other than that check the hard drives with something like SeaTools; or another hard drive diagnostic. I find it unlikely they would both fail at the same time.

If that's good maybe the mobo is just muddled somewhere.

As for your new comp.; it looks nice. I would be a little concerned about the PSU, mostly because you didn't specify what it is. If its something decent like Antec or Sparkle you'll probably be fine. Cheap PSU's might start giving you weird problem, so just be careful if something is funny.

SC10-E

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »

Thanks, I'll look for any capacitors that look out of the norm, and try those programs.

As for my PSU, the case comes with it itself, and it is an APEX case, so I would assume they'd put in one of their own PSU's. Is APEX reliable PSU wise?

RiceCake

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »

Not too sure, but PSU's aren't horribly expensive. Fire it up and see where you get.

SC10-E

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »

Cool, will do. I'll throw in an update once I get working with the hard drives and/or the parts get here.

Thanks

SC10-E

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »

Problem was my IDE cable the whole time....I'm an idiot

SC10-E

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »

So apparently my processor can't do 1066 mhz RAM? AMD's site says that speed has to be used on Quad Cores or 7000+ series of Athlon X2's. ANyone know a way around that?

SC10-E

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »

Sorry for the double post. From what I've read there it is a matter of FSB, I am still kind of new to all of the CPU overclocking stuff but I am assuming from what I have read I will either need to OC the processor so the RAM can run at a 1:1 ratio, or get different RAM that will run at 1:1 with the processor at a 1:1 speed.

Correct?

SC10-E

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »

I called up AMD today and was told that what I was seeing was correct and that my processor won't be able to run the memory. I called back to ask something else and got another rep, and this time I was told that the processor most likely WILL run with that memory as long as my mobo supports it (it does) and by seeing that it was listed as only for the 7000 and up X2 processors they just havent TESTED it with mine.

I guess I will just have to see when it all gets here Monday.