xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Peter Moore: Welcome Gamers to Windows Vista  (Read 372 times)

millio007

• Archived User
Peter Moore: Welcome Gamers to Windows Vista
« on: January 23, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »

awesome 1st post

brywalker

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(millio007 @ Jan 23 2007, 05:52 PM) View Post

awesome 1st post

^
Retard.

ANYWAY.

"In just one week, we'll release to consumers the largest and most significant advance in gaming technology Microsoft has ever made: Windows Vista."

Wow. That pretty much just shits all over the XBOX 360. Good job, Peter. Go back to digging a hole for Sega.

revs

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »

LOL - I love marketing CRUD.

Its hardly built from the ground up. and sure it will be good for games.. once they start to take advantage of DX10, but that will be a while yet.

tgm4883

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(metaldevil @ Jan 23 2007, 11:43 AM) View Post

Fixed. wink.gif

Sorry to play metaldevil's advocate ( biggrin.gif), but there has never been an incarnation of Windows that hasn't been a total migraine to work with. A decently-functional version of Windows is rarer than a 20-armed gorilla on Mars. I'm betting the floodgates will open with incessant complaints come January 30th.

I think you may be forgetting about Windows ME

painkiller45

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »

Nice, but I've got Vista installed with all updates and it has desktop crashes for many games. It seems like DirectX 10 isn't backwards compatible or something.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »

Some how, I don't believe this

For the first time in Microsoft's history, we're releasing an operating system built from the ground up with gaming as a core scenario.

Though I do believe a lot of technologies have been redesigned. MS should be careful with there wording.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »

Mark your calendars: January 30th 2007 will be the most significant day in gaming for the next several years.
Duke Nukem Forever is finally coming out!

tdcemanuel

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »

Does Vista have anything to do with the xbox 360 (especially game wise)?

GeToChKn

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

Maybe for new games designed for Vista, it may be better for gaming with dx10, but trying to run your current games on Vista, is going to be hit and miss.  Same thing when the 64-bit version of XP came out after the first 64-bit processor craze.  Not any real difference in performance but half my games wouldn't run.  Its looks fancy (of course some desktop-x widgets and windows blinds themes you can have the same look.)  I like the way the start menu is in Vista, but other than that, I was annoyed everytime I started a program or tried to install something, I had to click 40 windows to be sure I wanted to install that program.  Games that use Starforce and other copy protections I was having problems with.  I think new games that will take advantage of the dx10 and its unified shaders with probably rock, they could have dx10 like that for xp.  I don't see anything else 'gaming' about Vista other than dx10.

d-range

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(metaldevil @ Jan 23 2007, 06:43 PM) View Post

Fixed. wink.gif

Sorry to play metaldevil's advocate ( biggrin.gif), but there has never been an incarnation of Windows that hasn't been a total migraine to work with. A decently-functional version of Windows is rarer than a 20-armed gorilla on Mars. I'm betting the floodgates will open with incessant complaints come January 30th.

Well I kind of agree and yet also disagree with that... I'm no fan of Windows either (gotta love OS X :-)), and previous versions of Windows (all versions before 2000) where indeed a total migraine to work with, and a trainwreck in terms of software quality. The first Windows XP was a mess as well until SP2 (security-wise) but I'd say that now with XP they finally managed to get it up to standards. It's a decent OS... I personally don't like they way it works, but for people who are used to doing things 'the Windows way' it's a perfectly fine OS for most purposes, including gaming.

Sad to see coming 30 januari that for gaming, Vista is probably going to be a downgrade in terms of performance, compatibility, reliability and usability, compared to people's current XP installs. All this marketing crud about Vista being such a great gaming platform is just to make up another reason to upgrade from XP. Vista has absolutely no advantages for gamers that I can think of, apart from DX10, and they created that advantage artificially. If DX10 would work on XP, then XP would be the best PC gaming platform available for at least the coming 4 years, IMO...

Anyway a lot of people buy this crud, so expect Vista to be the 'best platform for PC gaming' within a year indeed. Only not because it's so much better for gaming than XP...

nige182

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »

Our University have been offering us free Windows Vista Business Edition since early this month, but with a side note not to install it on the machine you do your coursework from because most of the software won't work on Vista laugh.gif . I haven't bothered to get it yet, but will do soon.

If they have indeed "built from the ground up with gaming as a core scenario" and taken into account "gamers of all stripes", does this mean if I install Vista I will be able to natively run my retro PC games which currently require DOSBox to run (if they will run at all)? I'm thinking NO.

btw, no offence intended by this, I like Windows, moreso since Windows 2000 and XP (though 98SE never caused me many problems), but I also like my old games (almost) as much as the new stuff. If only game developers would start making all their games run under Linux as well, that would make things much more competitive for the OS market.

dmitri

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »

Holy crap, Vista for xbox?

Nice..

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Microshaft Meeting)
Steve Ballmer: Let's make a new OS. So we can make a lot of money.
Developer: But, XP works fine.
Steve Ballmer: So, limit DX10 to Vista! Then everyone will have to upgrade to play games.
Developer: Ok.
http://www.ntk.net/b...er/mirrors.html

Jerks  dry.gif

RiceCake

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »

Mark your calendars: January 30th 2007 will be the most significant day in the stock markets for the next several years.
In just one week, we'll release to consumers the largest and most useless advance in computing technology Microsoft has ever made: Windows Vista.

I can't believe these stupid features. USB sticks as RAM (like wtf?)...a bloated, useless 3D interface that any self-respecting gamer would disable...jaw-dropping minimum requirements that basically say "sorry, state of the art technology is useless...please upgrade again...and maybe buy another copy of Windows while you're at it"...rebuilt software with "new" probably useless and non-conforming features...let alone the fact that half their "innovations" should've been provided as an update to XP.

I've used Windows since Windows 95 came out. Software bugs are one thing, but being the hardware manufacturer's bitch is another.
Some guy at Futureshop already asked me if I wanted to upgrade to a Vista-ready PC that didn't even make the minimum system requirements.

(End of 'I h8 Microsoft's monopoly' speech).

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(RiceCake @ Jan 23 2007, 02:16 PM) View Post
Some guy at Futureshop already asked me if I wanted to upgrade to a Vista-ready PC that didn't even make the minimum system requirements.
http://www.microsoft...dy/capable.mspx
Minimum Requirements:
Vista
CPU - 800 MHz 32-bit
RAM - 512 MB
Video Card - SVGA Compatible
HDD - 20GB
CD-ROM

Vista Premium
- 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
- 1 GB of system memory.
- Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum), Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.
- 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
- DVD-ROM Drive.
- Audio output capability.
- Internet access capability.
Pages: [1] 2 3