xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mp3 Player  (Read 184 times)

Baner

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« on: October 08, 2004, 08:23:00 AM »

Hey, I was planning on getting an Ipod, or Ipod like MP3 player, and was wondering if you guys had any good or bad rep on any of them, any reviews. I wanted one for my car, so an ac power adapter would be nice. As far as the HDD anything above 20gb is plenty. Thanks.

nemt

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »

The New iRiver H120 is certainly the most established 20GB iPod killer on the market, but it'll set you back almost as much cash.

The Rio Karma is also a safe bet, it's an amazing 20GB player, and it's about a year old, so you can probably find a great deal on it.

There's also the Philips HDD120, what it lacks in stability it makes up for with style.  It's easily the best looking portable player out there, and firmware fixes supposedly remove all the bugs which plagued earlier Philips players.  The only drawback would be the IDV tagging, you must IDV tag all audio files, it doesn't sort anything by filename.

The new Creative Zen Touch has had very good reviews, but Creative has an interface that's really hit or miss, depending on the individual users.  It gets stellar praise and many many insults at the same time.

Don't bother with any of Sony's products, they force users to encode music into their ATRAC3 format.  What kind of mp3 player doesn't play mp3s?

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 09:45:00 AM »

I heard that the new Sony walkman is going to get revized so that it will play MP3s.

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 10:15:00 AM »

Here is a link about Sony's U-turn on MP3 support:

http://news.com.com/..._3-5377625.html

nemt

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »

That article seems to only be referring to Flash players, not hard disk players.  Sigh...when will Sony learn?

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 12:22:00 PM »

A MP3 is a MP3, it does not matter what codec you use to make it a MP3. Using a different codec should really only change the fidelity and the speed of encoding. As long as the codec you use to encode MP3s stays true to the standard you should have no problem. If it does not, it is no longer a MP3 in my opinion.

nemt

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »

Many mp3 players won't play any mp3 with a bitrate below 128kbps.

Baner

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 01:43:00 PM »

Thanks for the replys, I'll hit up Curcuit City when I get off work.

MrWizdumb

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »

thx for the info nemt.. i'm considering either the philips hdd100 or the creative nomad 20gb.  i dont need an assload of space, weeks worth of music doesnt have to be carried all at once tongue.gif

nemt

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 03:19:00 PM »

Well the best choice is a player with Windows mass drive storage (or something?)  capability, meaning it is recognized as a hard disk, and requires no software or drivers to upload files.  I know the creative players can't do this, and the philips can.

lebriznon

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »

i too suggest the iRiver H120.  it costs slightly less than the 20GB ipod (at least thats what ive found) and has WAY more features.  not that they're all reallly necessary, but sound buffs will definitely like it.  There are useful ones like the built-in FM tuner and voice recorder, and mp3 encoding.  Only downside ive read is the slightly difficult interface.

you can also get the older Creative Nomad ZenXtra.  its physically a bit bigger than the ipod, and has no remote (option).  However, ive read some reviews that say the sound quailty is definitely superior to others on the market.  I was thinking of getting the 30GB model myself.  This one is particularly inexpensive compared to ipods.  again, the downside is the clunky interface.

thomes08

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 10:40:00 AM »

ihave an iPod and i am more pleased with it than i thought i would be, and i had high hopes.  Then again i haven't tested out any of the other HDD mp3 players.  I wanted to get the new sony one but it doesn't play mp3's and was 100 more than my ipod.  

I like my iPod because it is really easy to use (love the click/touch wheel), it holds way more than i would ever need on the go (and i only have the 20gb version), and there is a lot of third party hardware support if you are into that kind of stuff.
Also the new 12 hour battery life helps out a LOT compared to the 8 hour older versions.

If you're looking into and iPod watch out at circuit city because they tried to sell me the "new version", when i knew it was the old version.  You can easily tell it apart because the newest version has no other buttons besides the wheel in the middle, and it will say "12 hour battery life" in the specs list on the box

thomes08

thomes08

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »

also, i don't know much about the dell jukebox but they have their 15 gig on sale for 150 bucks and their 20 gig on sale for 200 bucks at www.dell.com.  I know next to nothing about those though, so i'd ask around before buying one, but the price seems good

thomes08

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 12:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (nemt @ Oct 8 2004, 09:42 PM)
Many mp3 players won't play any mp3 with a bitrate below 128kbps.

That is freakin stupid. If you're going to make a MP3 player that plays MP3s why would you do this. Some times I wonder what is going threw the heads of the decision makers at these large corporations ( I.E. Sony and their MP3 support ).

thomes08

• Archived User
Mp3 Player
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 10:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (thepissedoffman @ Oct 11 2004, 08:19 PM)
That is freakin stupid. If you're going to make a MP3 player that plays MP3s why would you do this. Some times I wonder what is going threw the heads of the decision makers at these large corporations ( I.E. Sony and their MP3 support ).

oh you're just pissed off laugh.gif   aaannnyyyways if you get lower than 128 it starts to sound really crappy so they're only doing us a favor imo
Pages: [1] 2