xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Best Dsl Internet Provider  (Read 25 times)

deathx88

• Archived User
Best Dsl Internet Provider
« on: July 02, 2004, 03:53:00 PM »

blink.gif

are all the same? , what about the price, i need the best deal thats the fastest and the cheapest
earthlink said $30 per month for the first 6 months, ??? after that  dry.gif

is this good or are there any that you would perfer

this part is important

are there any where everyone in my whole house to go on the internet at once
it would be great if my whole family could go on at once so i don't have to get off. so i can download at high speed and not be kicked off when im in the middle of stuff like that

back when i lived in illinois and i say commercials for sbc yahoo were they advertided that everyone in the house can go on at the same time, but since i don't live there anymore and i don't get that anymore i was wondering what else there is

so any help please  smile.gif
i would like to have a really focking fast internet, thats cheap, but also can pervide so everyone in my house can go on at once

deathx88

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »

im buying a laptop and it says it comes with a home networking base station (router) this says you can hook up all your computers in this, so will this work
i don't have any link but its was the one on hp.com

also does this somehow cut the connection speed in half with everyone on at once

deathx88

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »

this is what the things says

Make this integrated router, high-speed wireless* access point, and four-point switch the centerpiece of your 802.11g wireless network at home or in your small office and start sharing broadband, files, printers, and music between multiple computers.

•  Get the power you need from this Smart Windows® CE–powered base station, which operates through a single broadband connection (such as a cable or DSL modem)
•  Share files and printers with other computers on your network at up to 54 Mbps—five times the speed of 802.11b networks
•  Play music, multiplayer games, and more using the high-speed wireless connection
•  Roam the house using a Wi-Fi equipped notebook computer communicating with your base station
•  Add up to four wired computers to your network with the integrated four-port Ethernet switch
•  Seamlessly run UPnP applications such as voice messaging, video messaging, and games
•  Keep your network secure with features including a built-in firewall, Network Address Translation (NAT), 256-bit Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA), and default 128-bit wireless security (WEP)
•  Stay up-to-date with the automatic update feature
•  Utilize the parental controls for Web site access and duration control
•  Get started fast with the set-up wizard

so will this work

nemt

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »

Can't you get cable?  It's a little less secure, but since you're in the sticks, you'll get some nice bandwidth.

AnThRaX

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 08:50:00 PM »

I know that yahoo is offering like 27 a month for the first year. I suggest cable anyways, most dsl people charge extra fees for equitment, and also cable you get usually better bandwidth.

Perplexer

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 05:14:00 AM »

Nah, I say go with DSL.  If you can get 3Mbps downstream, then go for it.  Earthlink or Bellsouth, both are great for your area.

I've been a Bellsouth DSL subscriber for well over five years, and had very few problems.  I've only lost service once, for a couple days.

My friends with cablemodems have problems more frequently.  Plus, cable's bandwidth is shared among others in the neighborhood, and as noted above, is less secure.

deathx88

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 10:04:00 AM »

i don't have cable tv so i don't think i could get cable, and also paying extra for it if i did

i have direct tv

Ween311

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 11:13:00 AM »

BellSouth DSL.  You can buy your own router or BellSouth will install one for you (for an extra monthly fee) and is available pretty much everywhere in FL except for the Tampa area.  Verizon owns all the lines there.  I used to work for BellSouth.

deathx88

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 11:25:00 AM »

i live about 40 min. from tampa
im sure thats far enough

will this router do, that im going to buy for my laptop here

im not sure about that because it says its for a wireless network, which im getting in my laptop, i just want to know if i could use this

deathx88

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »

bump

i just want to know if the router that i listed in my last post will do