xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xvid Divx  (Read 242 times)

Jmay2001

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« on: March 14, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (mun @ Mar 14 2004, 06:37 PM)
I was wondering what compression is better?
whats the difference
is one smaller than the other
is there difference in the quality?

If you use it right, xvid has a more compression and a higher video quality. Really to me not very much different viewing wise, unless you know how to encode thenm very well.

A place that has a lot of useful info is VCDHelp

Jmay

dietrite

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 09:13:00 PM »

xvid is "the underground's" new favorite choice mpeg-4 codec. it is considered one of the best video codec's out, for mpeg-4 video compression.

here is a quote from xvid's official FAQ:

DivX is proprietary software, with an opaque development cycle that follows only a commercial logic. XviD is Free Software (licensed under the GNU GPL), open to all contributions, its only aim is to stick to standard compliance.

I personally use xvid to code my movies, and it makes my .avi's so fresh and so clean. cool.gif  

visit XviD.org for more info.

deezp1

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 10:15:00 AM »

could xvid be used on the xbox?  Im a little confused, what Im looking for is a app that can run mpeg-4s on the Xbox.  does anyone know if that exists?

AnThRaX

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »

QUOTE (deezp1 @ Apr 3 2004, 02:15 PM)
could xvid be used on the xbox?  Im a little confused, what Im looking for is a app that can run mpeg-4s on the Xbox.  does anyone know if that exists?

yes my xvid backups work. I always back it up it takes ike 6 gigs to backup a dvd then send it to pc then encode as xvid!

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (deezp1 @ Apr 3 2004, 08:15 PM)

Yep XMBP or XBMC there are forums on them on this site!

deezp1

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 10:51:00 AM »

sweet, do you think it can read any type mpeg-4? I use nero recode to make nero digital files (nero's version of MPEG-4).  thanks

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »

QUOTE (deezp1 @ Apr 3 2004, 08:51 PM)
sweet, do you think it can read any type mpeg-4? I use nero recode to make nero digital files (nero's version of MPEG-4).  thanks

Lol you must be out the loop!!!
It can play ANY file that windows media player can play... and some quicktime formats as well, can also stream internet radio, stream internet tv etc
its sweet

deezp1

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 12:34:00 PM »

Lol you must be out the loop!!!

I must say that XBMP is the one part of a modded box I havent really explored.  But heres the deal, I can get Windows Media player to play by forcing it too, I used dvd2xbox to copy it on my hdd, but when I go to XBMP and try to select it, the folder is there but the file isn't.  
Let me back track a little, first I copied the MPEG-4 file into my f-partition main folder, XBMP could not read it, so I then tried it with dvd2xbox, but like I said before, this time XBMP reconized the folder, but would not see the file.   Is there a folder within XBMP I should put it into, or was I fine by creating one with dvd2xbox.  

I guess when it comes to XBMP, Im a total Noob!

Thanks

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »

Well the default is E:\videos and F:\videos so try it in them!!
XBMP\XBMC are the best part of a modded xbox imho... off to watch underworld on it now  beerchug.gif

deezp1

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 12:54:00 PM »

Well I just tried it and it still did not read the nero digital file.  I guess I try the xvid method of encoding.  thanks for the quick response.  btw, where do i get xvid, or is it taboo to ask?

sulfur

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 01:15:00 PM »

xvid = best

DermicSavage

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 01:21:00 PM »

i has used both divx and xvid in encoding, and xvid encodes much faster then divx when running on slowest settings(highest quality)

i cannot say much else about how well xvid is with compression and quality, as i prefer not to use it for the fact that too many peopel have no idea what it is :/

from the xvid encodes i have looked at, it is very close to divx level compression, but i will have to spend some time testing out both to see who will win

powercntrl

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 05:22:00 PM »

The so-called "DivX wink.gif 3.11a" codec is actually a hacked version of MS's MPEG-4 codec.  Due to the legal gray area (okay, it was actually not gray, it was pretty damn illegal) of the codec, Project Mayo was started to create an open source MPEG-4 codec that would be free of all MS code.

At some point in time, Divxnetworks was created and they decided to take their ball and go home by closing Divx's source code.  Xvid (Divx spelled backwards) is the open continuation of what Project Mayo started and what is now called Divx is Divxnetwork's spyware-ridden codec.

Which should you use?  Try Xvid...  It's free, it has no spyware and it produces great results.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »

The spyware in the Divx codec is enough for me to steer clear. doom9.org has plenty of info on this stuff as well.

geniusalz

• Archived User
Xvid Divx
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »

There is also a divx version with no spyware, but it's sort of hidden on the download page.

There's comparisons for the three paid/adware versions, then below that there's a small link titled "Standard DivX Codec(FREE)"
Pages: [1] 2