xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Gamecube Mod Stuff  (Read 298 times)

Demon86rjc

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« on: August 21, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »

Hello

I’m new to modding Gamecube I have a modded XBox and my wife likes to play Gamecube. I want to give her some cool stuff like I have on my Xbox. Now I know there is a couple different ways to do this, I want to go with a soft mod. I know there controversy about what method works best, but I was thinking about going with the SD Media Launcher method. I have a couple questions.

1. Is there other ways to us cheats like trainers or something?
2. Where can I find emulators?
3. Where can I find a replacement top that will fit full size DVDs (solid back)? I’ve checked a lot of site and can’t find one.
4. What size is the fan for the Gamecube, I was thing about adding a new one with leds.
5. What are some other mods you can do to the Gamecube?
6. How can I add leds to the case?
7. What does DOL mean? lol.

I'm also looking to buy a couple memory cards for Gamecube. 8mb-128mb Cards $5-10 + shipping depending on the size of card.

Thanks

Rob

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »

Ebay is your friend for accessories...
Divineo.com or divineo.cn has the replacement cases...  
i believe they also have the SD card...
...also, a BBA is pretty much a must for most of the softmod stuff.
A DOL is simply a bootable file for the gamecube, much like an ELF on ps2, or the .xbe on xbox

...and in my personal opinion, a modchip is a much better choice and they're easy as pie to install if you have any soldering skills.

EDIT:  And for homebrew, heres a decent list:  http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/GameCube_homebrew_list

This post has been edited by Rustmonkey: Aug 22 2007, 05:40 AM

Demon86rjc

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 04:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(Rustmonkey @ Aug 22 2007, 12:32 AM) View Post

Ebay is your friend for accessories...
Divineo.com or divineo.cn has the replacement cases...  
i believe they also have the SD card...
...also, a BBA is pretty much a must for most of the softmod stuff.
A DOL is simply a bootable file for the gamecube, much like an ELF on ps2, or the .xbe on xbox

...and in my personal opinion, a modchip is a much better choice and they're easy as pie to install if you have any soldering skills.
EDIT:  And for homebrew, heres a decent list:  http://wiki.scorpei....e_homebrew_list

divineo.com is out of most of there cases. what is bba? i would rather just use the softmod.

EverestX

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »

Soft mods on GC are a Pain in the rear.  To be completely honest if you are going to mod your GC then you are best served getting a qoobSX/Qoob pro.

I have the Qoob pro, and it is by far the best chip I have ever used on any console. Easy to upgrade/flash, strait forward, and easy to install.  

I will say though, that you are much better served getting a Wii and modding that, specifically because you can take your Gamecube backups and write multiples of them to disc.  You can do this with GC but only up to 1.37gb, wii you can burn ~4.6gb of games, that's a big difference.

If you do decide to contiune with the GC, a BBA is a broad band adapter, you will have  to have it to do a softmod as far as I know. Also, streaming games over BBA is a pain.  And then, you have to come up with Phantasy Star, and the right version.  The Vipercase is what I have, but the lid is flimsy and not near as nice as a real gamecube cases.

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »

..hmmm ok, foundmy.com has some complete replacement cases - looks like they only have crystal though... and as far as the cases go, its now cheaper to pick-up some mini dvdrs from meritline or newegg than to actually invest in a case - I purchased an ICEdcube xecuter case when they first came out - looks cool, but for the money I spent on it, I could have picked up 100 mini dvdrs

Demon86rjc

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(EverestX @ Aug 22 2007, 10:00 AM) View Post

Soft mods on GC are a Pain in the rear.  To be completely honest if you are going to mod your GC then you are best served getting a qoobSX/Qoob pro.

I have the Qoob pro, and it is by far the best chip I have ever used on any console. Easy to upgrade/flash, strait forward, and easy to install.  

I will say though, that you are much better served getting a Wii and modding that, specifically because you can take your Gamecube backups and write multiples of them to disc.  You can do this with GC but only up to 1.37gb, wii you can burn ~4.6gb of games, that's a big difference.

If you do decide to contiune with the GC, a BBA is a broad band adapter, you will have  to have it to do a softmod as far as I know. Also, streaming games over BBA is a pain.  And then, you have to come up with Phantasy Star, and the right version.  The Vipercase is what I have, but the lid is flimsy and not near as nice as a real gamecube cases.

all you need for a soft mod is a sd mem card adapter with a sd card & and action reply with the ar mem card. that is easy if you ask me. . . .i know it would be better for a wii but i have to work with what i have right now. . . don't really matter much tho the soft mod stuff i'm using now can also be used on the wii.

QUOTE(Rustmonkey @ Aug 22 2007, 12:50 PM) View Post

..hmmm ok, foundmy.com has some complete replacement cases - looks like they only have crystal though... and as far as the cases go, its now cheaper to pick-up some mini dvdrs from meritline or newegg than to actually invest in a case - I purchased an ICEdcube xecuter case when they first came out - looks cool, but for the money I spent on it, I could have picked up 100 mini dvdrs

Thats true it would be cool to have the case fit normal dvd but the price you pay for the case + shipping i can buy the mini dvd & once there burned its not like i'll need to burn it again. But i hope i'll be getting the wii soon anyway so.

throwingks

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(Demon86rjc @ Aug 22 2007, 02:07 PM) View Post
all you need for a soft mod is a sd mem card adapter with a sd card & and action reply with the ar mem card. that is easy if you ask me. . . .i know it would be better for a wii but i have to work with what i have right now. . . don't really matter much tho the soft mod stuff i'm using now can also be used on the wii.
Softmods are getting blocked with the most current Wii firmare 3.0.

Demon86rjc

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Aug 22 2007, 02:09 PM) View Post

Softmods are getting blocked with the most current Wii firmare 3.0.

But then its only a matter of time till they crack it or make a way to downgrade the firmware

EverestX

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »

So you are telling me all you need is a AR and a Mem card?  Huh?  What exploit, because as far as I knew until today you had to have PSO to build the soft mod itself.  Learn something new everyday.

This post has been edited by EverestX: Aug 23 2007, 11:33 PM

Demon86rjc

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(EverestX @ Aug 23 2007, 06:28 PM) *

So you are telling me all you need is a AR and a Mem card?  Huh?  What exploit, because as far as I knew until today you had to have PSO to build the soft mod itself.  Learn something new everyday.

Here is the link to softmodding.

SD Load

also how do you get the leds in the systems?

This post has been edited by Demon86rjc: Aug 23 2007, 11:52 PM

chorizo1

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »

I have a Max Drive Pro (allows you to lauch the GCOS) using it. easy as pie.

although I think it's not in production anymore.

Demon86rjc

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(chorizo1 @ Aug 23 2007, 07:06 PM) View Post

yeah. . .that the easiest setup but like you said they stopped making it.

QUOTE(chorizo1 @ Aug 23 2007, 07:06 PM) View Post

yeah. . .that the easiest setup but like you said they stopped making it. but they made something called a sd media launcher 1gb or 2gb. but  some things won't work with it. you can play back ups but you can't play emulators i believe thats what i read.

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »

Hey, I'm not trying to sound pushy or anything, but you can pick up a DuoQ or any other cheap chip for like 15 shipped - I see you have  Xenium soldered into your box - if you did that, TRUST ME, the gamecube is a walk in the park biggrin.gif

But, to each his own...

Demon86rjc

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(Rustmonkey @ Aug 24 2007, 12:29 AM) View Post

Hey, I'm not trying to sound pushy or anything, but you can pick up a DuoQ or any other cheap chip for like 15 shipped - I see you have  Xenium soldered into your box - if you did that, TRUST ME, the gamecube is a walk in the park biggrin.gif

But, to each his own...

i would like to use the chip, but i suck at soldering i had somebody solder the chip for my xbox. . . .  & its for my wife if i mess up her gamecube she will kill me. what are some of the advantages of using a chip?

i think buying a case that fits full size dvds in the long run you will save money. 10 pack = 20.00. i can buy a sull size case for 25-40 shipped.

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
Gamecube Mod Stuff
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »

Well, the main advantage to using a chip is just drop in the disc and go - some chips have other features built in however - the Qoob has onboard flash memory to store applications, the pro version can store the Action Replay engine so theres no need to swap discs, and both versions have a built in FTP server that allows you to backup your games with ease over your home network.