xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [dreamcast] I Need A Modchip To Play Backup Games?  (Read 43 times)

Xeero

• Archived User
[dreamcast] I Need A Modchip To Play Backup Games?
« on: July 28, 2003, 04:54:00 AM »

Nope, but sometimes you need to do some fancy tricks with the track layout.  I haven't made a DC backup in years, so I'm a poor source of detailed instructions.

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 06:31:00 AM »

Hi,

Just like xeero, im no great source of detail, as i have never owned nor used a dreamcast (i know, i really should have, bad me, i love sega systems)

However, from what i can remember reading, tthe boot cd will work straight off on older dreamcasts, but not on newer ones, where you have do do a little more to the dreamcast)

Correct? anyone?

Dont quote me on that though.....

DjSnake86

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 06:59:00 AM »

QUOTE (shorty @ Jul 28 2003, 03:31 PM)
where you have do do a little more to the dreamcast

do you know what?

thx! smile.gif

byez

c-2

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 07:05:00 AM »

whoohoo a dreamcast question .. man i love my dreamcast's .. :]  k heres the story ... u can burn backups and play them straight up without anything .. however a few things are true , u must download them, u CANNOT copy an original disc, u can however copy a burned a disc .. yes the utopia boot disc is out there but after about 6 months into the DC scene it became useless as u can now make everything "selfboot" .. as a rule of thumb if u download a backup that is a bin/cue it would require the boot disc , however u can download tools that will make these images selfboot ..  all the tools u need except DiscJuggler (which i might add is a MUST unless u want to convert the images which can cause problems) are available at www.dcemulation.com .. u really don't have to do anything to the image once u download it if it is a .cdi (discjuggler) , just burn away and play .. as for the working non working newer older DC issue, its NOT an issue, at one point yes it was but now every DC will play backups no matter what else u read, check dcemulation .. its fairly easy deal .. pm me and i'll help u with whatever u need ..

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 07:11:00 AM »

Well, you can backup the game yourself, but it's more roundabout than backing up Xbox games.  You need that special DC cable so you can utilize the DC's GD-ROM drive.  Course, then you have to toy with the image yourself to get it to work.  It's almost not worth doing it yourself...

c-2

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 07:28:00 AM »

ya its not worth doing it yourself .. um *cough* emule *cough* .. damn cold .. :]

xBaNaNaEv0LuTiOnx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 07:47:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xeero @ Jul 28 2003, 04:11 PM)
Well, you can backup the game yourself, but it's more roundabout than backing up Xbox games.  You need that special DC cable so you can utilize the DC's GD-ROM drive.  Course, then you have to toy with the image yourself to get it to work.  It's almost not worth doing it yourself...

actually, the dc dev cable is 1 of the 2 methods (and the SUPER SLOW of the 2, transfer rate of around 1k/sec). i have one but i barely use it anymore (only sometimes to backup my saves as i don't have one of the nexus memory cards). the other one is using the ever-so-hard-to-find broadband adapter. it's expensive, but the speeds are much better.

TacoBalls

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 08:48:00 AM »

The Dreamcast was a beautiful system.  Very "ack-upable" (even a word?).

shadowjin

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 09:06:00 AM »

i love my dreamcast...it is god...

and i've been hunting a BBA for that reason for awhile now....but to no avail...

so sad...

-jin

kaioshade

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 09:51:00 PM »

the older models, all you had to do was have a audio at track 1 and data at track 2-

newer methods require a data, and an audio track before the actual dc data. nothing too complicated.

deadspider

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2003, 11:42:00 AM »

will this help you out
user posted image
you can buy it HERE

c-2

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2003, 05:05:00 AM »

anyone have a DC fishing rod they want to part with ? :]

* illusion *

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2003, 06:35:00 PM »

love.gif  It was like a baby Xbox  wink.gif

johnney5

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2003, 03:49:00 PM »

Powerstone 2 pwns!

Is there an english version of it? I only got a jap one and its not even selfboot (well i backed up my japaneese copy and i needed utopia boot cd for it anyway).....

Also are ther any other cool games for dc cuz i been downloading them a lot lately i mean buying them at the store.

I got halflife for dc its really cool u can use all the regular HL console commands with the keyboard

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2003, 06:51:00 PM »

is this thread a joke as well???

user posted image
Pages: [1] 2