xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can You Play Ps2 Online With Mod Chip?  (Read 42 times)

assassinmunky

• Archived User
Can You Play Ps2 Online With Mod Chip?
« on: January 27, 2003, 05:15:00 PM »

can u play ps2 online with a modchip, or is  it like xbox?

if you can play it online, which chips work?

and can some one tell me what version ps2 i have, it says "SCPH-39001" and whats with that gap/no gap business

thnx a lot guys

gapiou

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 06:45:00 PM »

Yes it is possible to play online with a modchip without any problems. It is the total opposite of xbox.

Schmo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 07:15:00 PM »

Absolutely.

Needhelp05

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 07:21:00 PM »

I think thats all going to change pretty soon though.  I was reading something about this on a ps2 mod site and some game is coming out that can detect mod chips. beerchug.gif

Schmo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2003, 04:21:00 AM »

Hmmm, that has been rumored for a long time.  I will believe it when it happens.

MorfiusX

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2003, 04:59:00 PM »

Yes, there already are some games that hav mod detection. Most games though will work.

Mikerocosms

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2003, 05:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (MorfiusX @ Jan 29 2003, 01:23 AM)
Yes, there already are some games that hav mod detection. Most games though will work.

Well there is a game that is still in the testing room that is supposed to give problems when getting online. But with the Messiah 2 you can just turn the chip off and play the original no problems (sorry but I cant remember the name of the game as of right now, but it is still unreleased).

You can also add a toggle switch on the Magic 3 to be able to do the same thing with it as on the Messiah 2.

MorfiusX  Where do you get that info about there already being games with modchip detection? I know that PS 1 games have that technology but that was easily defeted on most PS2 chips. I have yet to find one PS2 game with that technology that is already out at this moment.

Mike!

MorfiusX

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2003, 07:37:00 PM »

The mod detection I've heard of is similar to what M$ is doing on the Xbox. XBLive uses a BIOS checksum to see if a "Hacked" bios is being used. If the checksum is valid, you're alowed on (orig BIOS). If it's invalid, you get banned (Hacked BIOS).

Now, because Sony does not controll the online aspect of the PS2, it's up to the developers to implement this type of detection. If I remember correctly, SoCom has mod detect (probably in the way of BIOS checksum or something similar), and if it detects a mod, you are not allowed to join the online portion of the game. But, you are not banned. If you remember PS1, there were similar problems. When FF7 was released it had mod detection built into it. But, because the detection remained on the disk, it was easily crackable (Stealth Mods). Sony's (or the developers) method of detection is going to be much easier to crack. You will eventually see "Stealth Online Mods" or patches that remove this part of the game.

Xbox Live is going to be much harder to crack. XBLive mod detection, once cracked, can be changed to look for something else. They could do this, and still have it affect already published games. Once Sony published a game, and it's cracked, they can't go back and change it. They must republish the game.

Now, don't quote me on the SoCom thing becuase I haven't played and PS2 games online at all. And, they could just be testing this in certain areas (Japan most likely) before doing a full rollout of this. Yes indeed, most games do work, if not all. But don't expect things to stay the same.

gamezall

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2003, 06:40:00 PM »

everquest online is supposed to have that but i could just turn my messiah 2 off and load up gameshark and use the cog/knife swap and vuallah!

MorfiusX

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2003, 07:41:00 PM »

QUOTE (gamezall @ Jan 29 2003, 09:04 PM)
everquest online is supposed to have that but i could just turn my messiah 2 off and load up gameshark and use the cog/knife swap and vuallah!

Flip Top lids will work as well.

Mikerocosms

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2003, 08:54:00 AM »

MorfiusX

I know for a fact that Socom is not protected in that way. I know a lot of people that have been able to play fine online with the dvdr version of the game. I also helped make a ripkit for it and it too was able to play online without problems.

gamezall

Yes that was the game I was thinking about. And a fliptop conjunction may be the key (although I dont like fliptops).

Mike!

MorfiusX

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mikerocosms @ Jan 30 2003, 11:18 AM)
MorfiusX

I know for a fact that Socom is not protected in that way. I know a lot of people that have been able to play fine online with the dvdr version of the game. I also helped make a ripkit for it and it too was able to play online without problems.

gamezall

Yes that was the game I was thinking about. And a fliptop conjunction may be the key (although I dont like fliptops).

Mike!

Like I said, don't quote me on it. I haven't played ANY online PS2 games. None. But, this is how mod detection is working on the PS2.

Revolver_O

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2003, 06:49:00 PM »

everquest will require a cdkey to play online, i was one of the beta testers although i didnt play and it required a cdkey.

assassinmunky

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2003, 06:54:00 PM »

thnx a lot guys, youve been a great help.

i decided to get a magic3.5 since its easiar to install than the 3.1

thnx again, and lets hope that ps2 wont have online protection!:)

thxn!

Mikerocosms

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2003, 06:56:00 PM »

Interesting, but Im hoping that too will be cracked or a key gen will be made.

Mike!