xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Will The NHL's Proposed Rules Changes Help/hurt?  (Read 178 times)

fin1581

• Archived User
Will The NHL's Proposed Rules Changes Help/hurt?
« on: March 18, 2004, 01:08:00 PM »

I think that the rule changes proposed for the 2004-2005 season won't really make much of a difference in the NHL.  I think that, if anything will help, it will be regulating the size of goalie equipment.  Goalie's are getting bigger than they used to be and they are wearing huge pads...I mean Garth Snow looks like a damn Lax goalie.  Anyways,  I dont think the rule that goalies cant play the puck will help increase scoring much.  It may increase the action of the game a bit but I think that it will end up hindering teams from setting up an attack and make the game just a tennis match with the puck.  So what are your opinions?

falser

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 08:12:00 AM »

Rule changes are going to help.  Everyone knows goalies equipment is too big, but that won't have a big change.  What will help a lot is getting rid of the two-line pass call (red-line), it's the dumbest rule in the NHL.  It does nothing but trap the puck and prevent breakaways and has to go.  Personally I think they should get rid of ties altogether and change to playoff style full overtime periods - or maybe 1 overtime period followed by shoot outs.  As well they need to start calling more penalties, and increase the length of the penalties (eg make cross checks 4 minutes).  This would drastically clean up the game and create immense opportunities for teams who do not abuse the rules.

EvilWays

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 09:35:00 AM »

dry.gif

fin1581

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (falser @ Mar 19 2004, 06:12 PM)
Personally I think they should get rid of ties altogether and change to playoff style full overtime periods - or maybe 1 overtime period followed by shoot outs.

I think I would be all for shootouts after OT.  I mean 4-on-4 OT is exciting but shootouts would make it just that much more interesting.  Also, I'm sure paying $60 to see a game where no one wins makes people happy.  Of course, shootouts would favor the teams with more money because they can affor the talented players...so I dont know if the NHL would go for it right now.