xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Supreme Factory Hong Kong Raided by Nintendo  (Read 230 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Supreme Factory Hong Kong Raided by Nintendo
« on: October 22, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | October 22 23:48 EST | News Category: Xbox_Xbox360

From next-gen.biz:

Nintendo along with Hong Kong authorities have cracked down on a piracy operation with a raid that yielded 10,000 game copying devices.

Described as a "global distribution operation" for illegal copying devices and mod chips used for pirating DS and Wii games, authorities raided Supreme Factory Limited's facilities on October 8 this year.
The raid lasted for three days, turning up pirating devices that enable users to upload DS games to the Internet for distribution and mod chips to play illegitimate Wii discs.
The raid was made in conjunction with the Hong Kong High Court, which intervened to prohibit involved companies from further distribution of piracy-related products. The court also ordered that company assets be frozen.

Full Story: next-gen.biz

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »

I guess since all the other companies were doin it Nintendo had to join in.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »

Ever since the Wii has become such a popular console to hack modchip seller have been targeted like never before.

Nintendo must have a lot of influence compared to M$ and Sony. Most of these companies have been selling chips for the PS2 and Xbox 1 for years without any problems until the Wii chips started to become popular.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »

i think people that mass produce copyrighted work for a profit should understand the consequences, and i have no pity for them.  

as for targeting chip shops, i think its bullshit... that should be a legal free market.

SueMiBlitch

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »

selling copied games is wrong... it robs the companies that make the games and people who rip them off should suffer the consequences of their actions

modding a bought console isn't wrong, its like putting an aftermarket supercharger on your car... if the xbox1 homebrew scene wasn't just so damn fantastic my xbox would be gathering dust, but instead its my media center

console makers need to wise up and let homebrew scenes establish themselves and possibly pick out the best contributions and let others (not techincally proficient or too lazy to mod their consoles) enjoy the benefits through a retail channel

i mean how many people would buy XBMC for their unmodded xbox if they had the chance

Norco

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »

Your supercharger analogy doesn't really make any sense...if anything it would make more sense to compare mod chips to a extreme intake system that allows your car to run without gas but gives you full functionality.

rabbitstroker

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Norco @ Oct 23 2007, 07:46 AM) View Post

Your supercharger analogy doesn't really make any sense...if anything it would make more sense to compare mod chips to a extreme intake system that allows your car to run without gas but gives you full functionality.

LOl and what's illegal about that then ? biggrin.gif   hehe

1nsan3

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 07:08:00 AM »

i think anyone that sells game copys, or pirating materials, for there own profit should get nailed.
as for modding services , well they know what there doing is illegal, as of right now, the only thing the xbox 360 can do is play backup copys. you and I both know damn well especially these little kids dont have no money to buy games let alone back them up. We all are on the borderline. we all know modchips are illegal. If ya get nailed thats your own fault.

ive done alot of systems... never not even once have i charged. It takes just a few minutes of my time.
Will i ever do mass systems, HELL NO. I do it once i show them how and there on there own.

englishnamja

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »

I DO NOT AGREE and IM not afraid to say so......

Firstly.. 39$ - 49$ for a game is bullsh*t.. a movie doesnt cost 39$ - 50$ and im sure they are based arround the same budget and required amount of in-staff..

games make more profit than movies (I imagine!!)....

copying games just makes the companys produce on wider markets.. such as ID software, being PC only then saying due to software copying to make up for thier loss due to copying games, they produce on all consoles and platforms.. (isnt that a good thing! ?)

why... in England.. a game which costs 39$ - 49$ dollars in the states.. costs 70/80 dollars in the UK?
(what I mean here is.. the same box label, etc.. but the 39$ sign is transfered into 39Pounds)

copying games WILL never break the console market..will never stop companys making games, and will never stop consoles being developed.. please.. thats bullshit..

I USE THIS POLICY... and always will.....

I download a game.. IF I love it I BUY IT!!

if I was in charge of copyright thieft.. ID do this..when you sell a retail version of a game.. include a t-shirt, pretty posters, collectors box, keyrings, badges etc.... include something which makes retail versions of a game.. more presentable.. If everygame offered 1 week of FREE MS live GOLD service.. prehaps...people would be more inclined to buy it.. use it online.. meaning more chance of locking down consoles, checking the xbox 360 for illigal copies etc..

flame me.. I just dont give a F*CK! btw.. now im living in South Korea for like the last 5 years.. this is copytheft heaven......

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(englishnamja @ Oct 23 2007, 06:08 PM) View Post

I DO NOT AGREE and IM not afraid to say so......

Firstly.. 39$ - 49$ for a game is bullsh*t.. a movie doesnt cost 39$ - 50$ and im sure they are based arround the same budget and required amount of in-staff..

games make more profit than movies (I imagine!!)....

copying games just makes the companys produce on wider markets.. such as ID software, being PC only then saying due to software copying to make up for thier loss due to copying games, they produce on all consoles and platforms.. (isnt that a good thing! ?)

why... in England.. a game which costs 39$ - 49$ dollars in the states.. costs 70/80 dollars in the UK?
(what I mean here is.. the same box label, etc.. but the 39$ sign is transfered into 39Pounds)

copying games WILL never break the console market..will never stop companys making games, and will never stop consoles being developed.. please.. thats bullshit..

I USE THIS POLICY... and always will.....

I download a game.. IF I love it I BUY IT!!

if I was in charge of copyright thieft.. ID do this..when you sell a retail version of a game.. include a t-shirt, pretty posters, collectors box, keyrings, badges etc.... include something which makes retail versions of a game.. more presentable.. If everygame offered 1 week of FREE MS live GOLD service.. prehaps...people would be more inclined to buy it.. use it online.. meaning more chance of locking down consoles, checking the xbox 360 for illigal copies etc..

flame me.. I just dont give a F*CK! btw.. now im living in South Korea for like the last 5 years.. this is copytheft heaven......

I'm totally with you on the game packaging idea. One of my favorite american companies was Working Designs, because they put forth an effort to make sure they localized a game without losing any of it's original appeal, and gave all sorts of wonderful packaging (including hardbound, full-color instruction manuals, bonus cd or dvd with behind the scenes content, cloth maps, and about 5-10 other things I can't remember). Of course, they didn't do that until they moved to the PSX, but from then on, all their games really did have amazing packaging and extras, and I always wondered why other developers didn't do the same (especially ones with lower production costs such as almost any movie game, or sports games - to clarify, sports games have low production costs; it's licensing that gets them, but they have tons of ads, so that should offset it).

I also think it's kinda rediculous that games are mad expensive. The cost of materials for the physical product is the same as movies, except for the instruction manual. Now let's consider the latest record-breaking blockbuster: Spiderman 3. It cost $270,000,000 acording to a Sony rep (this doesn't including advertising, however). According to Rotten Tomatos, it's grossed $336,530,303 in a matter of 16 weeks. That's dangerously close to $100,000,000 in PROFIT. I'm sure DVD sales will push it past that. That being said, it costs less than $10 for a ticket, and less than $20 for the retail DVD when it hits shelves (well, u know how it's on sale the first week at BB and others). Now I'd love to factor in the production costs for the video game and see how it fared, but there's two problems with that: 1) I can't find the production costs 2) It was made by Activision, so a lotta people didn't buy it.

Let's also consider Halo 3's numbers. I remember reading the production budget was $50,000,000 and another $10,000,000 for advertising. It grossed over $300,000,000 in it's first week. Here's some quick math about this:
Cost per standard-edition would be less than $2 (DVD replication is under $1 per-disc anyway, with full amaray case, disc screen-printing, etc). The game is region free, so they only needed 1 glass master for the game disc (which they may not have had to pay for anyway), and another glass master for the bonus disc. We can safely assume it's less than $3 per package, including a game disc, bonus disc, amaray wrap, case, and instruction booklet. If it retailed on shelves for $19.99, and still sold the 2.48 million copies it did on launch day, it would have grossed $49,620,000 (just short of the entire production budget). Now, let's factor in that if the game really was $40-$150 cheaper than when it launched, how many MORE people would have bought it? As a matter of fact, most of the people I know are waiting to see a used copy of halo 3 before they buy it (and honestly, I don't blame them).

On the other hand, if 2.48 million people are willing to spend $60 or more to get a particular game on launch day, are you really inclined to argue with an industry that's used to overcharging?

Back to the topic at hand, the game industry, much like the movie industry and record industry, claim that piracy is destroying everything and that's why costs are high, but I don't think it really amounts to that. I believe that most piracy that occurs doesn't mean the person was gonna buy it anyawy. However, I think if they factor in all the pirated copies they confiscate in every raid, how much more they could sell if they simply weren't charging too much, though it's not a fair representation when you're comparing a corporate chain's numbers against a much smaller orginazation.

Maybe the next generation will finally be different...ha! Not likely.

englishnamja

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Oct 24 2007, 03:09 AM)  

I'm totally with you on the game packaging idea. One of my favorite american companies was Working Designs, because they put forth an effort to make sure they localized a game without losing any of it's original appeal, and gave all sorts of wonderful packaging (including hardbound, full-color instruction manuals, bonus cd or dvd with behind the scenes content, cloth maps, and about 5-10 other things I can't remember). Of course, they didn't do that until they moved to the PSX, but from then on, all their games really did have amazing packaging and extras, and I always wondered why other developers didn't do the same (especially ones with lower production costs such as almost any movie game, or sports games - to clarify, sports games have low production costs; it's licensing that gets them, but they have tons of ads, so that should offset it).

I also think it's kinda rediculous that games are mad expensive. The cost of materials for the physical product is the same as movies, except for the instruction manual. Now let's consider the latest record-breaking blockbuster: Spiderman 3. It cost $270,000,000 acording to a Sony rep (this doesn't including advertising, however). According to Rotten Tomatos, it's grossed $336,530,303 in a matter of 16 weeks. That's dangerously close to $100,000,000 in PROFIT. I'm sure DVD sales will push it past that. That being said, it costs less than $10 for a ticket, and less than $20 for the retail DVD when it hits shelves (well, u know how it's on sale the first week at BB and others). Now I'd love to factor in the production costs for the video game and see how it fared, but there's two problems with that: 1) I can't find the production costs 2) It was made by Activision, so a lotta people didn't buy it.

Let's also consider Halo 3's numbers. I remember reading the production budget was $50,000,000 and another $10,000,000 for advertising. It grossed over $300,000,000 in it's first week. Here's some quick math about this:
Cost per standard-edition would be less than $2 (DVD replication is under $1 per-disc anyway, with full amaray case, disc screen-printing, etc). The game is region free, so they only needed 1 glass master for the game disc (which they may not have had to pay for anyway), and another glass master for the bonus disc. We can safely assume it's less than $3 per package, including a game disc, bonus disc, amaray wrap, case, and instruction booklet. If it retailed on shelves for $19.99, and still sold the 2.48 million copies it did on launch day, it would have grossed $49,620,000 (just short of the entire production budget). Now, let's factor in that if the game really was $40-$150 cheaper than when it launched, how many MORE people would have bought it? As a matter of fact, most of the people I know are waiting to see a used copy of halo 3 before they buy it (and honestly, I don't blame them).

On the other hand, if 2.48 million people are willing to spend $60 or more to get a particular game on launch day, are you really inclined to argue with an industry that's used to overcharging?

Back to the topic at hand, the game industry, much like the movie industry and record industry, claim that piracy is destroying everything and that's why costs are high, but I don't think it really amounts to that. I believe that most piracy that occurs doesn't mean the person was gonna buy it anyawy. However, I think if they factor in all the pirated copies they confiscate in every raid, how much more they could sell if they simply weren't charging too much, though it's not a fair representation when you're comparing a corporate chain's numbers against a much smaller orginazation.

Maybe the next generation will finally be different...ha! Not likely.

Thank you, a great, enlighting and positive reply...

from you post I feel confident in saying that.. heres the solutions to our problems..

Bring more online/offline content, extra's to the consumer. ( bags, t-shirts, bonus DVD, etc)

Reduce the cost of buying the game...
(no brainer, who would want a burnt DVD on thier shelf, when they could have the real thing with the box, manual etc.)

work towards multi platform gaming.. ( a good marketing idea maybe producing a PC game and a version for mobile platforms, cell phones, pda's, etc.. which coupled together, ie: playing the cell phone game, unlocks extra's within the real console version..using codes, or micro SD from the cell phone then inserted into the usb slot on the console via an adapter...)