xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Proposed Amendment Would Ban All DVD Copying  (Read 455 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Proposed Amendment Would Ban All DVD Copying
« on: June 21, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | June 21 19:29 EST | News Category: OffTopic

From pcmag.com:

A proposed amendment to the current copy protection license governing DVDs would completely ban all DVD backups, and prevent DVD playback without the DVD disk being present inside the drive.

The amendment is currently being considered by the Content Protection Advisory Council (CPAC) of the DVD CCA. If enacted, it would become binding in 18 months from the date on which the CCA notified its licensees, which include DVD hardware and software manufacturers.

The amendment reads:
"6.4. Certain Requirements for DVD Products. DVD Products, alone or in combination with other DVD Products, shall not be designed to descramble scrambled CSS Data when the DVD Disc containing such CSS Data and associated CSS Keys is not physically present in the DVD Player or DVD Drive (as applicable), and a DVD Product shall not be designed to make or direct the making of a persistent copy of CSS Data that has been descrambled from such DVD Disc by such DVD Product."

Full Story: pcmag.com

jamie123

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »

why don't we ban knives too, because they can kill if used the wrong way..and how about we ban blank cds, because they can be used inappropriately as well, how about we completely deter creativity and just ban all new technology..that'd be a surefire way to prevent piracy, eh?  

This post has been edited by jamie123: Jun 22 2007, 12:36 AM

stewii griffin

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »

LOL good luck getting the rest of the world to go along with ya  MPAA

MickRaider

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »

Yeah because that's going to stop people.  rolleyes.gif

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »

and a DVD Product shall not be designed to make or direct the making of a persistent copy of CSS Data that has been descrambled from such DVD Disc by such DVD Product
How do you enforce that? I have a ton of children's DVDs with no copy protection at all. And, as a collector of DVD's I have many 1$ DVDs that also have no CSS. They are so cheap they skip like crazy unless backed up to a better quality DVD-R.

There would have to be a grandfather clause.

Also, it seems this would not affect macrovision circumvention. This deters piracy none, and continues to stick it to the man.

If backups are illegal, then only illegals will have backups. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This post has been edited by throwingks: Jun 22 2007, 12:59 AM

angryyoungnpoor

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »

And this is going to have an effect how? We'll just figure out a way to modify future devices. It's not like they're going to be updating every single present dvd player and they'll have to ensure that the new movies will work on old drives.

I'm confused as to why they'd be doing this.

SRI-Sajuuk

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »

These People obviously has never had a DVD scratch or Jusat stop working. Or its because they can pull money outta there assholes and buy 10 more.

xsirxx

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »

I have a 3 year old that can work the dvd player and does! I have copied every single one of his 20$ thomas the train dvds and no I will not give him the real copies.  And yes I make about 2 a week....  If this were the case, hell if Id ever buy a thomas the train....  He wants to switch copies every 15 minutes and damn if Im going to do that either... hell I scratch my own 360 games enough...

Zod5000

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »

If people are are making their own backsup or download... they removed the CSS protection on the computer side when their ripping it?

So what good is it going to do to put those restrictions on a dvd player, if the copies dvd has no CSS on it?  It'd be the same as a home movie.

Theres so many dvd burners and what not out there now.. that the cats already out of the bag.

Glad I live in Canada.

btw.. as will all US law.. good luck passing it in the house and senate in the same format smile.gif

juan_2006

• Archived User

moogster66

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »

Even IF this passes and they start making dvd players and burners unable to play backups, someone will come up with a way around it. Firmware upgrades or whatever. If the dumb ass politicians and powers that be get this passed that would be something! Maybe they should find better causes to rally behind. I don't know....maybe getting gas below 3.00$ a gallon! Well, guess that's what we get for putting a Texas oil man in charge! tongue.gif

nectar12

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »

usually i get pissed when i read articles like this, but this one made me laugh.

quarky42

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »

Hmm:

As has been said:  They have never had a dvd scratch...or...

they are already so filthy stinking rich that they can just go buy brand new dvds when ever one gets the tiniest scratch....

or...

They've never seen a dvd, never used a cd... have no idea what these things do or are subjected to...

I think this last one may be likely...it's the incapable and inept making rules for things they know nothing about.

Jakerzon

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »

Won't happen.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »

it whont pass thats a blatent fair use volition.
Pages: [1] 2