xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Albertsons For Sale  (Read 85 times)

bluedeath

• Archived User
Albertsons For Sale
« on: September 09, 2005, 12:18:00 AM »

Chief Executive Larry Johnston's strategy of lowering prices on basic items such as paper towels narrowed the company's profit margin. Albertsons, whose chains include Sav-on Drugs and Bristol Farms, is seeking a buyer for part or all of the company after competition from Wal-Mart and a 20-week strike and lockout in Southern California led to a profit decline in three of the last four years.

This hits close to home for me.  I have watched at least a hundred high paying jobs become available at the Albertsons central offices.  It certainly looked like a mass exodus and then we find out that they are up for sale.  Another nail in my town's coffin. It reminds me of Winn Dixie's lay off a couple of months ago.  Thank You Walmart.

damam

• Archived User
Albertsons For Sale
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 08:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(bluedeath @ Sep 8 2005, 08:29 PM)
This hits close to home for me.  I have watched at least a hundred high paying jobs become available at the Albertsons central offices.  It certainly looked like a mass exodus and then we find out that they are up for sale.  Another nail in my town's coffin. It reminds me of Winn Dixie's lay off a couple of months ago.  Thank You Walmart.

hugoboss1

• Archived User
Albertsons For Sale
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 08:27:00 AM »

Tell me about it wallmart came to my area and small buissnesses went down the drain and a 15yrd sub shop was crushed when sub way came to the same shopping center but i still go to the private owned stores even if i pay a few dollers more.

wallmart is nothing more than a monopoly and sure i want to save money but if that means stepping on the middle class i prefer not to shop there.

wallmart is like cheap mexican labor (no offense to mexicans)they take good quality jobs away from good honest people and who wants to work on all hollidays besides x-mas there is less quality of life these days and no enfacist on family..

Working sundays should be banned for most companies or at least people who must work sunday should have at least 2 off a month.

Psykomantis00

• Archived User
Albertsons For Sale
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »

Ive always had a prediction that walmart was evil and it would be one of the leading factors in the end of the world. And now that google is doing an instant messaging program and doing a ton more things... I have a feeling google will soon merge with walmart or they will be two seperate evils combined into one.

Small family owned shops are great, but around me there are none. There are three walmarts near me within a 30 min drive, thats just sad. They closed one walmart near me... but only because they opened a new giagantic one that also sells food. Pretty soon walmart will have car dealerships on the parking lot.

pug_ster

• Archived User
Albertsons For Sale
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 07:01:00 PM »

Here in NYC, there's NO Walmart in anywhere in the 5 Boroughs.  But there's plenty of Walmarts outside of NYC including in Long Island, White Plains, and New Jersey.  I remember there was a talk a while ago about building a walmart in the Queens Mall and the small businesses cringed when they heard that.  Fortunately that never have happened.

Heet

• Archived User
Albertsons For Sale
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 02:02:00 AM »

rolleyes.gif   Anyone seen the southpark episode?

xmedia2004

• Archived User
Albertsons For Sale
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 02:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heet @ Sep 10 2005, 10:13 AM)
Ya Walmart is evil  rolleyes.gif   Anyone seen the southpark episode?

killerbootsman

• Archived User
Albertsons For Sale
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »

They built a Wal Mart about 5 minutes from me about a year ago, and another one 10 minutes from me about a year ago also. It has totally wiped out The Albertson's and Smith's around me, the Wal Mart parking lot is almost always full, and there is about 50 cars at the albertsons or smiths. I hate to say but my family shops at wal mart, but you can get food there that is about 1/2 the price of the other guys.