xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Well Done America  (Read 476 times)

ViNCe_V

• Archived User
Well Done America
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2004, 11:34:00 AM »

biggrin.gif ).

And now for another perspective. Getting married is legal in some states. Yet the President would like to make it illegal in all states. First, the rights to regulate marriages are reserved for the state. And, the gov't can not make a law that would infringe upon this right. Even though they are trying. I know I say they "can't", but they probably can. Let's face it, people thought the US wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't have invaded Iraq. But that happened. And for the opposite side of the world view, people thought the Twin Towers wouldn't and couldn't have been hit by planes and destroyed, but they did. Alot of things that "couldn't" of happened have. But when you mess with powers strictly reserved for certain branches, i.e. Declaring War, Marriages, etc. Then you destroy the very fundamentals that America's gov't was built on (a system of checks and balances). The state gov't can not go up to the US gov't and say that they are declaring war on another country. This is a power reserved for Federal Gov't, namely Congress. In similar fassion, the Federal Gov't should not be allowed to regulate marriage in states.

Bottom line. A person asking for equal treatment cannot be considered selfish. And as far as the money problem is concerned. Why not eliminate No Child Left Behind. It is a gigantic waste of money because it is a system designed for failure. Here is how it works. Schools are rated on the performance of their students on standardized tests. If a school fails multiple times, students from that school have the freedom to transfer to other schools. In this manner, schools that were once passing recieve students that were failing. This in turn causes the passing school to fail on its upcoming exams. Eventually there is no passing school left. If you would like to have a in-depth discussion on this argument with me, please make a new topic. I have extensively researched it and can argue anything involving it.

There you have it. Gay marriage should be immediatly allowed. The arguments against it were defeated. 1) It is not discrimination (in fact it is the complete opposite). 2) There are other programs that involve wasting a lot more money. Save your tax dollars by eliminating idiotic programs, not someone's right to marry.

bluedeath

• Archived User
Well Done America
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2004, 11:54:00 AM »

Vince, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

melon

• Archived User
Well Done America
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2004, 12:22:00 PM »

i would disagree with you on the school issue aswell.

bluedeath

• Archived User
Well Done America
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2004, 12:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (mike96sc2 @ May 27 2004, 09:06 PM)
Because he posted facts and a solid argument? Quit being such a homophobe.

He rambled like a lunatic.  What does NCLB have to do with gay marriage?  We should get rid of one wasteful program and throw the money into another wasteful program?  Referencing the TV show (mass media manipulation) "Friends" does not count as extensive research?

melon

• Archived User
Well Done America
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2004, 12:42:00 PM »

I agreed with a lot of his post i just thought the schools were a bad example.

SkinnyPuppy

• Archived User
Well Done America
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2004, 01:25:00 PM »

wink.gif

beerchug.gif

bluedeath

• Archived User
Well Done America
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »

You're back huh.  Nothing like a fresh proxy.

nemt

• Archived User
Well Done America
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2004, 02:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (SkinnyPuppy @ May 27 2004, 06:25 PM)
For the record. The CIA did not support Bin Laden in his efforts to wage Jihad against the USSR, that was the Saudis. The CIA supported the native fighters (farmers, etc. driven from their land/homes), who could give less of a shit about Bin Laden and his Jihad.  wink.gif

beerchug.gif

You're partially correct.

The CIA supported the legitimate Afghan government against the Soviets, however, even if it wanted to it couldn't have supported the arab foreign fighters - they had no contact.

The Saudis didn't support Bin Laden either, though many Saudis ended up joining terrorist groups as well as Soviet resistance groups.

ViNCe_V

• Archived User
Well Done America
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2004, 07:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (bluedeath @ May 27 2004, 09:39 PM)
He rambled like a lunatic.  What does NCLB have to do with gay marriage?  We should get rid of one wasteful program and throw the money into another wasteful program?  Referencing the TV show (mass media manipulation) "Friends" does not count as extensive research?

Gay marriage is a wastelful program in your view. In mine it is something that is quite necessary. But, you agreed with me on that NCLB was a wasteful program. Since we both agree on that, that seems like the more likely of the two that should be scrapped. If you disagree with me on NCLB, please tell me why. NCLB, like I said with those who disagree with me, is a subject I have researched extensively. Make another thread on it and we shall debate it more there. And I never said I had researched marriage in Las Vegas. As you can see, I did give a source for it though. Therefore, you can choose to nullify the credibility of my source; but that does not make the rest of my statement false. Furthermore, that statement was meant more to show that the system in place is flawed. As I am sure two random heterosexuals can go get married in Vegas. Maybe next time you can come back with a few more challenging replies  rolleyes.gif

bluedeath

• Archived User
Well Done America
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2004, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (ViNCe_V @ May 28 2004, 04:00 AM)
Gay marriage is a wastelful program in your view. In mine it is something that is quite necessary. But, you agreed with me on that NCLB was a wasteful program. Since we both agree on that, that seems like the more likely of the two that should be scrapped. If you disagree with me on NCLB, please tell me why. NCLB, like I said with those who disagree with me, is a subject I have researched extensively. Make another thread on it and we shall debate it more there. And I never said I had researched marriage in Las Vegas. As you can see, I did give a source for it though. Therefore, you can choose to nullify the credibility of my source; but that does not make the rest of my statement false. Furthermore, that statement was meant more to show that the system in place is flawed. As I am sure two random heterosexuals can go get married in Vegas. Maybe next time you can come back with a few more challenging replies  rolleyes.gif

There you go again.  "Researched Extensively"

So you have researched NCLB extensively.  Perhaps you could explain how NCLB is failing.  From a statistical standpoint is it failing because the School interoperability framework is flawed or is the Performance based data management initiative flawed.

Here is one example of extensive research:  (I wrote this in another forum)

No federal standards are set as to what defines a low-income student etc. etc. It is up to the state to define a standard. NCLB measures lower income students through a quartile of the state defined measure of low-income students. Here is where the many gaps increase. Most states will define a low-income student as a student who has free or reduced lunch. The process for receiving free and reduced lunch consists of signing a piece of paper that states you are poor and your child needs free or reduced lunch. At no point is actual income measured. This means corrupt low-income student data at the school, district, and state level.

If an elementary school is divided into sub-populations that could potentially be populations ranging from 30 to 1 then from a standpoint of confidentiality (FERPA), sub-populations less than 11 will not be reported. I guarantee that this will result in larger populations being padded by smaller sub-populations, which will corrupt the data (children being left behind).

Really this means that the low-income children will not be held to low standards. They will not be held to any standards.

Like any act that makes very little sense the only winners are the sub-contractors. They are cashing in on poorly researched legislation. The focal point of NCLB is reading. Reading fluency is something that cannot be taught in school. It is a fact that Reading fluency must be gained in the home. How is it possible that we hold teachers to a standard that is impossible without parental support.

I think that there is a need for an NCLB like act. The fact that we need this kind of regulated control over education is a reflection of the crumbling of our society. We no longer expect parents to teach their own children the basis for learning so we attempt to hold the teacher accountable for a poor learning environment at home.

NCLB is designed to measure from the school level up. If what you say is true then NCLB is targeting individual children and is violating FERPA standards. This is possible since NCLB attempts to measure every subpopulation without standards for accuracy, confidence level, etc. etc. What does this mean to you? From a local government standpoint: For instructional purposes only Let's say that Your child's school has failed to meet Adequate Yearly Progress due to an achievement failure in one subpopulation. This subpopulation can easily be just one child. Your child can be identified as the sole cause for the school's failure, which could result in a district failure to meet AYP. Your child's subpopulation is reported to the federal government and posted on a website publicly. Now let's pretend that your child is the only black male child in grade 3 in the school (easy to meet those subpopulation requirements isn't it). On a website for all of the state and all of the world to see it states that a black male child in grade three in that school is measured at below basic achievement level. Your child is now linked to the school failing publicly. This is how NCLB violates FERPA. Now let's pretend the state foresees this problem and NCLB is taken with a dose of salt. Larger populations are padded with subpopulations and Walla your child is left behind.

NCLB does not work.

Now what does your research show????
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]