xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: European Union Sues Ms  (Read 106 times)

Arvarden

• Archived User
European Union Sues Ms
« on: March 25, 2004, 11:29:00 AM »

The fine is pocket money to MS considering they have 30b+ lying around in various banks.

"But you can't sue a company just because they are slaughtering everything else out there!!"

You can when a company tries to monopolize, it's bad for us in the long term for obvious reasons.  

Spency234

• Archived User
European Union Sues Ms
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »

QUOTE (Arvarden @ Mar 25 2004, 04:29 PM)
You can when a company tries to monopolize, it's bad for us in the long term for obvious reasons.

I don't see the "obvious" bad reasons here.

All I see is a very smart software comany that is ahead of everybody.  So what if they incorporate everything into their operating systems??  I really don't see why this is frowned upon.

LEDHaywire

• Archived User
European Union Sues Ms
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 07:02:00 PM »

hey give the europeans a break.....theyre screen refresh rates are still lower than north americas...give em time to catch up

SKoT

• Archived User
European Union Sues Ms
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 06:08:00 AM »

A company, if a monopoly, will eventually drive up prices and buy out any competition. Therefore, eventually, we will pay 10X we should, and buy the only thing on the market from the one company. Although i think that i dont think the government should have a right to break up the company, weird.

GaijinPunch

• Archived User
European Union Sues Ms
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »

I fear the short-term results of monopoly more.  Ever noticed how much more unstable XP is than NT4.0?  Yeah, there's more features, but who fucking cares if you're getting hacked all the time.  When you're the only game in town, your quality slips.  True of any monopoly.

SKoT

• Archived User
European Union Sues Ms
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 07:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (Spency234 @ Mar 30 2004, 03:34 AM)
XP is more unstable than NT4.0?????

Well one thing is for sure, I did NOT ever expect to hear that argument!

XP is by far the best and most stable OS to date... nothing compares.

????

Obvoiusly You have never hacked before...

Try XP, then try NT4.0. XP secure? my ass

shavedrat

• Archived User
European Union Sues Ms
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 09:23:00 AM »

I haven't tried NT4 but I found xp to be very stable compared to other versions of windows (98,ME etc) however, I agree on the insecurity issue.  Hell everytime I format my pc and install a fresh copy of windows, I usually create an internet connection right away to download winzip and other such programs, and I always get that blasterworm that gives you the RPC error and forces a shutdown. I can be connected for like 15 seconds and BAM I have it.  Yes, there have been patches released to fix this, but with more competition MS might be forced to make their software extra-safe before releasing.  I think they work more towards a 'done' version of their software than a 'complete' version.