xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hdmi To Component  (Read 333 times)

thehunk

• Archived User
Hdmi To Component
« on: December 09, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »

Hello,

I have an old Sony front projection tv that has only component inputs.  I just purchased a Sony DVD player that upconverts to 1080i, however the only way is through the HDMI output.  What is the most reasonable way to convert from HDMI to Component?  I see the converters but for $160.00?  I am open to any suggestions.

P.S. Are there any ways to make your own HDMI to Component cables?  I would be willing to do that too.

Thanks,
-TheHunk

Hoppy

• Archived User
Hdmi To Component
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(thehunk @ Dec 9 2007, 03:23 PM) View Post

Hello,

I have an old Sony front projection tv that has only component inputs.  I just purchased a Sony DVD player that upconverts to 1080i, however the only way is through the HDMI output.  What is the most reasonable way to convert from HDMI to Component?  I see the converters but for $160.00?  I am open to any suggestions.

P.S. Are there any ways to make your own HDMI to Component cables?  I would be willing to do that too.

Thanks,
-TheHunk

There's an episode of the webshow Systm where they make their own Component and Audio Cables.  It's full of excellent information.

AV Cabling episode of Systm

thehunk

• Archived User
Hdmi To Component
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »

Hello,

That is "making basic cables 101".  Thanks, but that doesn't help me out one bit.  I need to know howto go from HDVI to Composite.  Is their an adapter anywhere, or is their anyway to make that type of cable?

-TheHunk

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Hdmi To Component
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »

First of all... Screw building your own cables... buy from http://monoprice.com you'll get better quality than "monster" and it will be even cheaper than building your own... Not to mention it has nothing to do with the OP's question.

As for the REAL question being asked.

The short answer is... you can't convert the signal don't even bother it's not worth the effort.

The parts list to build your own HDMI to Component converter will run you MORE than $200 easily... that is if you want decent quality. It will also require a great deal of technical knowledge as it will require the use of FPGAs and some custom circuit printing. the $160 converter is cheap for the kind of signal processing that's going on.

If you want to upscale movies over component video... buy an Xbox 1, hack it and install XBMC... you can upscale your movies all day long with that.

Look for DVD player hacking sites... some DVD players can be hacked/modified to allow region free playback and or HD output over component video... the problem is the MPAA wont allows DVD player manufacturers to output upscaled DVD playback over component for fear that it will allow people to easily rip off the DVD. Early Oppo upscaling DVD players and many no-name Chinese upscaling DVD player will allow HD over component.

Buying a well know name brand DVD player will only really get you one thing... and that's a DVD player that conforms to the retarded DRM whims of the MPAA and locks you out of enjoying your own paid for content.... aren't you glad you spent the extra money to have valuable features removed under the assumption that you're a criminal?