xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Response Time Help  (Read 332 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Response Time Help
« on: November 05, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »

Using the VGA output from a 360 on that TV... I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Honestly I'd suggest just using Component, VGA is really intended for use with PC monitors and it's not without it's problems. IMO there is no reason to use VGA unless the display ONLY accepts VGA and nothing else.

As for whether or not 8ms is a fast enough response time. Lets do some math.

the video signals  you'll be using will be at 60Hz... this means that your games will typically be locked to running at 60FPS or 30FPS

lets work with 60 shall we? 60 frames per second means that each frame needs 1/60th of a second or .016666667... to change from one color to the next... "milli" represents 1/1000 so converting .016666667 seconds into milli seconds means that you'd need 16.666667ms or rounded down: 16ms.

This means that 16ms is the highest response time you can have before you'd start seeing ghosting. Of course this is assuming the response time is being measured as full on/full off (black to white as opposed to gray to gray). If your response time is listed gray to gray then you'd need a lot more information to determine if ghosting would appear.

The problem is most manufacturers wont tell you how they measured the response time making the number essentially useless.

on a typical 16.7million color pallet there are 256 shades of gray that would mean if the response time was measured from one shade of gray to the next shade of gray it would take 256 times longer than the listed response time to go from black to white. obviously they wouldn't sell many TVs like this as it would take over 2 seconds to change a pixel from black to white.

Most manufacturers when listing "response time" measure it 16 shades of gray apart... meaning that there are only 16 steps between black and white (256/16=16)... this would give you a full on/full off response time of 128 which would mean on 60FPS content the ghosting would appear on high contrast items for as many as 2 frames and as much as 1 frame on 30FPS content.

So you can see even a listed response time of 8ms could be very much misrepresented depending on how it was measured.

This is why most people can't give you a straight answer to the response time question, it's also the reason why the best decision is to not rely on the advice of forum dwellers and instead look at the TV in the store yourself  to see if ghosting is actually a factor.

Chancer

• Archived User
Response Time Help
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »

That's the model I have on my Bedroom wall UK model is slightly different number, but it is the same chassis etc.. It will work fine but I too advise component. I have the 360 through it at the moment and it is superb.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Response Time Help
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(avinitski @ Dec 11 2007, 01:19 PM) View Post

response time are so over rated, what they actually mean is jack!

care to explain yourself or are you content with spouting baseless assertions?