xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hd-dvd High Def Audio?  (Read 140 times)

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Hd-dvd High Def Audio?
« on: June 05, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »

Ive started looking at hd dvd players with hdmi, 1080p and what not. however, my 7.1 receiver does not accept the new hd audio, like the other 99% of them out there. i have seen that the hd-xa2 has a built in decoder and individual channel out puts to hook into my receiver, which it does accept. are these audio tracks alot better then the standard track that would be sent over optical/spdif?  is it worth the extra 300$ on the player vs the hd-xa1 does not have have the split output (and only 1080i, another factor)?  i still might wait for the prices to drop, but i really cant find any reviews on how these new audio tracks sound only the video.

C o s m o

• Archived User
Hd-dvd High Def Audio?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »

Unless you are a wickedly sophisticated audiophile with an ear for the slightest detail, probably not worth it.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Hd-dvd High Def Audio?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »

With a good quality sound system the difference in audio clarity and imagery is VERY apparent even to those without "golden ears".

I'd say paying extra for the audio is definitely worth it based on knowing some of what you've got in your setup.

however with only 1080i support I'd say wait it out for either a 1080p model with a built in decoder or a stand alone decoder (they'll come don't worry) that will allow you to get a current 1080p model.

IMO that's all secondary to the bigger argument about HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray vs. waiting... but I'm sure you've already got that one worked out in your head. wink.gif

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Hd-dvd High Def Audio?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »

yeah the more expensive one is about 550$ and the has the built in decoder and 1080p output. the cheaper toshiba is on sale for 200$ this week but i wouldn't get the audio or the 1080p.  If the audio provides a substantially better experience then im going to wait until they come down some more. It only make sense to have better audio with the better picture =)  I really don't have a preference of blue ray or HD,  it more what system fits into my setup, i will eventually get a ps3 for blue ray, but the HD-dvd player would give me the better audio, and that's what I'm looking for.  That, i got the Matrix HD-DVD box set for 20$ from circuit city! woot! hehe (thanks fatwallet!)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Hd-dvd High Def Audio?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »

wow only $20 is that deal still available?

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Hd-dvd High Def Audio?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 06:17:00 AM »

nope, its was a price mistake at cicuit city online, everyone that ordered one copy during the mistake got theirs and a thank you/apology letter.  all multiple orders or orders of 2 or more got cancelled. pretty nice of them honor an online price mistake

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Hd-dvd High Def Audio?
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »

pretty cool,  it came with a code to download the animatrix free off the xbox live market place. now i just need something to play these things on haha

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Hd-dvd High Def Audio?
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »

The animatrix is mostly crap... a few good clips here and there but nothing substantial. You might find a bit more to love if you're an anime fan.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Hd-dvd High Def Audio?
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »

i made it about 10 minutes into the animatrix then gave up. glas i never bought it haha.

im still on the search for a hd-dvd player that does what i want... 1080p and 6 ch analog out....  to bad cheapest ive found it is 560$  :puke:

are any other brands comming out besides toshiba? wheres the help?

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Hd-dvd High Def Audio?
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »

SON OF A *!&!^#@*(^&

Ok, i had to tear down my setup to put wood floor in. Set it all back up and my reciever works fine for about 10 minutes, then something inside blows and every one sound like aliens talking thru a Mr. Microphone at mcdonalds window. TONS of static/reverb/echo/over amp/underamp. My reciever is effectivly dead on all inputs.   Onkyo 605 as an upgrade? I didnt want to do this now, but its going to fix alot of problems.  Any tips guys? Tis late and ive been trying to fix it all nite. I cant play games with out surround sound ahhhhhh =)

http://www.onkyousa....e...X-SR605&p=i

Sorryn if this is muddled im just really cheesed off....