xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: My Sigs..  (Read 68 times)

ConRad911

• Archived User
My Sigs..
« on: July 18, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »

Here are some of my sigs, let me know what you think.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks.
ConRad

chuxterofdoom

• Archived User
My Sigs..
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:47:00 PM »

Good stuff Conrad.  Have you signed up at Digi-Design.  Most of the people here are on there.  We are a budding GFX community.  Go and sign up and you can only get better.

h34d5h0tz

• Archived User
My Sigs..
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:47:00 PM »

just so you know conrad, when you post stuff here, expect to get constructive critisizm, even if you didnt ask for it. im just telling you now so you wont get bent out of shape because someone said stuff about your work. now your probably not the kind of person who would do that, but we have had issues before, and dont want anymore. so now that thats out of the way...

your stuff is alright. not much a fan of filters, but that last one looks good. the thing i would work on the most is your text. in all the sigs, the text is really hard to read, and doesnt flow well with the rest of the sig. for now, you should stay clear on outer glows. but if you really think an outer glow will look good, make it a white outer glow instead of the defaul yellow. for the outline setting, change the size to 1 px instead of the default 3. in most cases, a black 1px outline will do nothing but improve your work. for your sig that has all your specs( from what i can tell), the font is way too fancy and the outline doesnt help. for small text like that, my favorite font to use is any kind of pixel font. you can get a pixel font from dafont.com. i would write a quick tutorial on how to use pixel fonts, but i dont remember what the settings are called. you can probably go to good-tutorials.com and search for a pixel tut there. or go do digi-design and ask for help on it.

ConRad911

• Archived User
My Sigs..
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 07:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(h34d5h0tz @ Jul 18 2006, 09:54 PM) View Post
your stuff is alright. not much a fan of filters, but that last one looks good. the thing i would work on the most is your text. in all the sigs, the text is really hard to read, and doesnt flow well with the rest of the sig. for now, you should stay clear on outer glows. but if you really think an outer glow will look good, make it a white outer glow instead of the defaul yellow. for the outline setting, change the size to 1 px instead of the default 3. in most cases, a black 1px outline will do nothing but improve your work. for your sig that has all your specs( from what i can tell), the font is way too fancy and the outline doesnt help. for small text like that, my favorite font to use is any kind of pixel font. you can get a pixel font from dafont.com. i would write a quick tutorial on how to use pixel fonts, but i dont remember what the settings are called. you can probably go to good-tutorials.com and search for a pixel tut there. or go do digi-design and ask for help on it.

thanks for the comments guys. Headshot. i dont really know anything expect Filters, maybe some pointers would help.

..ill sign up for that link after work

h34d5h0tz

• Archived User
My Sigs..
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 08:01:00 AM »

other than filters, another major way to make sigs is using brushes. Deviant art is a great place to get brushes from. just download the ones you like, then put them into your photoshop folder>presets>brushes. to access your new brushes in photoshop, get your brush tool, and right click on your document and select it. there is countless tuts on brushing sigs, just find a few and follow them. then you will learn the technique. after that, you can play around with stuff, post it here, and hear what works and what doesnt.

Hazanko

• Archived User
My Sigs..
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 08:26:00 AM »

yeah, there is alot more to making sigs that just filters.. in alot of my pieces i'll use filters to help the sig, but never to create a sig(if you know what i mean).  there are multiple styles out there, you've just got to figure out what you like. you're sigs already look good, in exception of your text. there are many other styles, here are a few:

*grunge & abstract: grunge is mostly brushes, and has a "dirty" look to things. abstract is basically like grunge, just there are more defined lines, and little less "dirtiness" to the image. both styles use renders.

*Tech: my style that i prefer, this style doesn't use renders, but relies mostly on your creativity, and you being able to make things that imitate real-life, or somwhat fictional objects. just look at my current sig, to see a representation of that.

*Clean: more of a "look" than a style, if you've seen outlaw anywhere around these forums, then  you could look at his sig and see what i mean. this style uses filters, in conjunction with renders, and clean lines.

*personal: what it means.. this is what you define as your own, many people start to get creative and create thier own variation of styles mentioned above. alot of people combine tech & abstract, in an attempt to create realism.

but me personally, and quite a large amount of guys here(and at DD, my website) would tell anyone to not use filters to create sigs. for example, the extent of my filter use, would include clouds, gaussian blur, motion blur, and someimtes lighting effects; i'll never use filters to create my sig, but i'll use them for creating steam, bevel & emboss, glare, realism, etc etc. hopefully i've been somewhat helpful in your inquisitions. visit Digi-Design, and join up.. we'd be glad to have you there wink.gif

ConRad911

• Archived User
My Sigs..
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 08:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(h34d5h0tz @ Jul 19 2006, 08:08 AM) View Post

other than filters, another major way to make sigs is using brushes. Deviant art is a great place to get brushes from. just download the ones you like, then put them into your photoshop folder>presets>brushes. to access your new brushes in photoshop, get your brush tool, and right click on your document and select it. there is countless tuts on brushing sigs, just find a few and follow them. then you will learn the technique. after that, you can play around with stuff, post it here, and hear what works and what doesnt.

ya, alot of what you guys are talking about, ive herd about (Deviant Art/ De Font/ Styles, ect) and its just i know no other way of creating, what Hazanko has for a sig for example. all i do is put cool looking Brushes on there, Render them, put in a picture and some text, and edit it all. ill sign up for DD later though/

thanks
 pop.gif

lostboyz

• Archived User
My Sigs..
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 09:22:00 AM »

youll find your own way, I stopped using filters because I got bored of them. there are only so many combinations of using them

youll get it

and the whole world isnt about sigs, try more bigger things like you have shown

socalx

• Archived User
My Sigs..
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 12:40:00 PM »

lol i forgot about those filters i havnt used them in awhile well except maybe gaussian blur and maybe like noise or something but not so much the other options in there =] oh and try not to use that underpainting texture filter thing IMO it doesnt look very good on anything most of the time =]

Xombe

• Archived User
My Sigs..
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »