xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Diy Wheel Refurb  (Read 564 times)

grim_d

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« on: May 07, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »

thinking about cleaning up my wheels and painting them white. Id like to do it for the price of paint, sandpaper etc. Got the week off next week so that should be plenty time.

one of them has a kerb scratch on the spoke, what can i use to fill this?

The corners are full off tar and grime, what can i use to get rid off this easily? i tried petrol but it's really thick and wont penetrate it, i really don;t want to have to get them blasted.

also can i do it with the tyre still on or should it really be off?

cheers for any input!

Albino

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »

Autoglym make a good tar remover that I use on my bodywork, seems to get thick spots of tar off the lower bodywork alright, you could try that. As for filling chunks of metal work I'm not sure on.

grim_d

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(Albino @ May 7 2008, 04:43 PM) View Post

Autoglym make a good tar remover that I use on my bodywork, seems to get thick spots of tar off the lower bodywork alright, you could try that. As for filling chunks of metal work I'm not sure on.

ill check it out, ive been told to try wonder wheels too.

it's more of a deep scratch rather than a chunk, im going to use bodyfiller on it, its not a huge area or a big hole so it should be fine.

Dano2k0

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »

Good luck with the wheel refurb  smile.gif

When i come to paint my new wheels (as i want them a different colour, plus they are used and have some odd bits of damage) i'm going to be leaving the tyres on, just mask around them very carefully.

My idea was to use body filler on the little bits of damage aswell, i figgured this would make them much better than they currently are. Obviously if youve got anything major i'm not sure body filler would be the way to sort it, but on all the small things it should be fine.

Are you going to prime your wheels before you spray them there final colour? I think i'm going to give mine a quick blast when i come to do mine.

Yeah also as above, autoglym do indeed do a good tar-remover, though there are a few tar removers on the market, i'd go take a look in halfords if i were you, they'll probably have something over-priced that will do the job nicely.

Oh and don't forget to post us some pics as you go through it, it'll be interesting to see how your wheels come out, and maybe i'll learn something for when i do mine aswell beerchug.gif

grim_d

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »

yeah im going to prime them with hi-build so i dont have to rub down as much, just give it a good key with 120 or something then hit it with hi-build.

the only damage they have sustained in 4 years is a deep scratch on one spoke on one wheel, so im sure bodyfiller will be fine, rather than spending excess on metallic filler.

im unsure on what paint to use, probably just go for some normal white then a clear, however i was thinking about using some of that radiator paint ya get from plastikote, it's bright white and non-yellowing and surely would be pretty tough so i wouldnt have to clear. i don't know yet laugh.gif

my only real concern with leaving the tyres on is getting behind the valve to clean and paint, but im sure itl just be fiddley rather than an actual problem.

im only really doing it as i havnt had a project for a little while and ive wanted them white for a long time.

grim_d

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »

so going to make a start todaya dn its already a headache, i cant get a wheel off because a nut is seized solid, i acctually bent my wheel key trying to get it off, so my dads gona pop round tonight with a bar and weel get it off lol.

wanted to get a big bottle of brick acid (patio cleaner) as i hear that just annihilates dirt and tar etc but NOWHERE had any, so i had to settle for a litre of wonder wheels, better be damn good stuff at the price.

anyway here this mornings haul, about £60 so im a fiver under budget laugh.gif

i went for tetrosyl/carplan white-22, which translates to polar white, its about the whitest they do smile.gif

IPB Image

Chancer

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »

Shame you ain't closer mate I could have saved you a bit  and you could have used my compressor and selection of spray guns. I also have about 3 litres of hi-build and and plenty of 2k in white somewhere hiding in the garage. The trouble with the smaller cans is the spray pattern is not too big and the quantities of paint in them small. Should look good if you take your time. Just watch the laquer doesn't yellow over a period of a few weeks.  Don't forget piccies on the motor when done pop.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »

white wheels? :shakes head:

... I didn't know you were a boy racer  muhaha.gif

grim_d

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ May 12 2008, 04:02 PM) View Post

Shame you ain't closer mate I could have saved you a bit  and you could have used my compressor and selection of spray guns. I also have about 3 litres of hi-build and and plenty of 2k in white somewhere hiding in the garage. The trouble with the smaller cans is the spray pattern is not too big and the quantities of paint in them small. Should look good if you take your time. Just watch the laquer doesn't yellow over a period of a few weeks.  Don't forget piccies on the motor when done pop.gif

that would be nice, ive got a litre of 2k red that was supposed to go on the bodykit but my mate with the compressor moved away, not worth it now that the motors on it's last legs.  i Think once i start full time work a compressor will be a purchase soon after a motor, ive got an big fookin summerhouse that's totally empty and would be ideal for painting in.

nevermind though im pretty good with the cans and ive got fan nozzles around here somewhere which helps.  I would probably be concerned about the finish if i was painting them silver or black, but theres alot of wiggle room with white.

As for the yellowing, i splashed out on plastikote for the laquer specifically for that reason, so far in my experience ive never had it yellow, and it does say it doesnt..  fingers crossed.

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 12 2008, 05:39 PM) View Post

white wheels? :shakes head:

... I didn't know you were a boy racer  muhaha.gif

IMO jap cars deserve white or black wheels, silver rarely does them justice. your 200 would look the nuts with some white shoes on.

ya either love it or ya hate it.

PLUS if my wheels are white it draws the eye away from the rust and dents  ph34r.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ May 12 2008, 04:04 PM) View Post
ya either love it or ya hate it.

PLUS if my wheels are white it draws the eye away from the rust and dents  ph34r.gif

I'm just giving you a hard time...  tongue.gif

Personally I'm a fan of bronze wheels on black cars... though black wheels with a polished lip often look quite nice if done well.

I'm actually considering some gunmetal wheels with red accents for my 240 (FWIW they do make a 200SX in the states but it's a front wheel drive POS b14 chassis... nothing in common with the S chassis apart from the name.)

grim_d

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 13 2008, 04:29 PM) View Post

I'm actually considering some gunmetal wheels with red accents for my 240

volk ce28n, i know these ones are black but they do gunmetal and the red band looks awesome

i saw these on e black 350 once, and my jaw just hit the floor.

don't if they are your style but ill be getting them in white if i get a pulsar laugh.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

on the subject of my wheels, i have primer down on them, i think they already look sweet biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »

actually the two different wheels that I was considering:
IPB Image
IPB Image

grim_d

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »

those top onse would look nice on a show car, they are nice though, unique.

the bottom ones are very nice indeed, red looks anodized though? if its proper red and not anodized they would look sweet.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ May 13 2008, 03:50 PM) View Post

those top onse would look nice on a show car, they are nice though, unique.

the bottom ones are very nice indeed, red looks anodized though? if its proper red and not anodized they would look sweet.

yes the bottom ones are anodized... I actually like the look better but I'm apprehensive about anodized wheels.

The top ones are pretty neat, the red inserts can come out and the wheels actually come with polished aluminum as well as carbon fiber inserts so you can change the style if you like.

I'm actually a fan of CF accents... I'm not one to go crazy with the stuff but the occasional small part looks nice IMO.

grim_d

• Archived User
Diy Wheel Refurb
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »

th CF inserts would look pretty cool i think! id like to see that.
Pages: [1] 2