xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First Truck  (Read 181 times)

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« on: September 16, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »

This is my first truck. I'm a High School Senior, so that means I get driving privileges and off-campus privileges. It's a 2006 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab. I get 15mpg (which suck, but it is a truck), and I only have 27,000 miles on it! It was bought used, but still, my parents had to help me out for some of the price. I got this on the 4th of July, and already rear-ended this idiot. He was slow. Besides the small damage, my truck is in excellent condition and it was the truck I personally chose to get, and it is my dream ride. Here it is:
IPB Image

I did buy an After market Sony CD/MP3/Satellite player for it because it only had a radio in it:
http://i8.photobucke...45/IMG_0037.jpg

Everything is stock, minus the CD player and window tint I had done to it. What do you think about it? And also, how can I increase horsepower for this truck? I plan on first getting a custom tune for it.

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(garver @ Sep 16 2007, 06:51 PM) View Post

Does it have to 5.3L V8?

No  sleep.gif
4.3L V6 with about 200HP.

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »

^To prevent theft, or another reason? And approx. how much is it for a Cold air intake for my truck?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »

that thing must be fairly anemic with only 200hp...

personally I'd be worried about fixing that bumper before putting on performance equipment.

if you are going for power adders I'd recommend an exhaust before an intake, and if you do go with a cold air make sure you have an air bypass vale installed as well... the last thing you want is to have that thing suck up a puddle and drown your engine... especially if you plan on driving it in wet or snowy conditions with the cold air intake on... though it depends where they mount the filter.

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »

This thing?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

If I bought it, how much would it cost for a mechanic to install it? Should I buy it off of eBay, or at the mechanic shop? I hear K&N is the best. What do you think?

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 16 2007, 10:26 PM) View Post

that thing must be fairly anemic with only 200hp...

personally I'd be worried about fixing that bumper before putting on performance equipment.

if you are going for power adders I'd recommend an exhaust before an intake, and if you do go with a cold air make sure you have an air bypass vale installed as well... the last thing you want is to have that thing suck up a puddle and drown your engine... especially if you plan on driving it in wet or snowy conditions with the cold air intake on... though it depends where they mount the filter.

For the exhaust, would you recommend the whole kit to be done (pipes and everything) or a new muffler, and good tips welded on?

And also, I have a new K&N filter installed which made a HUGE improvement for my truck in throttle response, would you still recommend I spend more and upgrade to a cold air intake, or stick with the air box and the K&N filter?

I was considering modifying the air box, and adding a throttle body spacer too. Would these benefit me at all?
-Thanks

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(no0b123 @ Sep 17 2007, 07:45 PM) View Post

For the exhaust, would you recommend the whole kit to be done (pipes and everything) or a new muffler, and good tips welded on?

And also, I have a new K&N filter installed which made a HUGE improvement for my truck in throttle response, would you still recommend I spend more and upgrade to a cold air intake, or stick with the air box and the K&N filter?

I was considering modifying the air box, and adding a throttle body spacer too. Would these benefit me at all?
-Thanks

Every car is different and every car responds differently to different mods.

The absolute best thing to do is hit up a Chevy truck forum and find out what other people have done to trucks just like yours and which modifications they had good success with and which modifications they had poor success with.

The reason being that These days a lot of manufacturers actually use really good equipment in terms of things like intake and exhaust. If they designed their intake well... then replacing it probably wont do you much good, but if they designed their exhaust poorly (or rather "cheaply") then it would be more beneficial to replace that.

Either way improving your vehicles ability to breath through spacers, intakes, and exhaust is a good place to start with power-adders.

Intakes are usually hit or miss. I know on my Subaru results were pathetic with after market intakes making almost no difference at all and in some cases actually being worse than the original factory intake

The exhaust on the other hand made enormous differences. Similarly spacers will work well to improve performance on some engines, while actually reducing performance on other engines... There is rule that works for all cars, every car is different and responds differently.

Some general tips
For an Intake
-The colder the air the more dense the air is, and the more air it can fit in the cylinders which = more power
-Shorter/smoother/larger diameter pipes = easier breathing and more air etc...

For an Exhaust
-Shorter/Smoother pipes = easier breathing allowing the exhaust to escape faster. This means pipes with less bends, and less extreme bends, and pipes with smooth internal surfaces "mandrel bent" is an important term as it means that the bends were made with a mandrel (a piece inserted into the pipe while bending) sot that the bends make a smooth curve as opposed to a curve with the metal on the inside edge getting all crimped and wavy.

-The more you replace the more you'll gain... Out of the engine the exhaust fumes go into headders which collects from the individual cylinders and flows down into a single pipe. From there it goes into a catalytic converter for emissions, and then into a straight pipe and finally into a muffler before exiting. Sometimes there will be a resonator on the middle pipe or a second muffler or a second catalytic converter... all are used to reduce noise and harmful gases.

The fewer things you have on your exhaust the better your performance will be... For instance if you removed your exhaust completely you'd probably have the best performance possible but you'd also have an unbearably loud vehicle spewing nasty smoke out of the engine bay  laugh.gif So what you're trying to do is make the exhaust as non-existent as possible

Replacing the muffler will help a little bit, replacing everything from the catalytic converter and back (called a cat-back exhaust) will help a whole lot more... replacing the entire exhaust including headers and the catalytic converter could make a world of difference. Of course it's expensive too.

Personally I would say don't even bother unless you can afford to do the cat-back, a decent cat-back runs about $500, you can get a hi-flow cat for about $100-$200 if you decide to do that too... (or if you hate the environment you can get a "test pipe" to replace the cat with just plain pipe for about $50... but you'll likely not pass your next emissions test). Headders can run from $500-$1000 and in general don't need to be replaced unless you're hard core serious about your performance.

Bigger diameter is not always better on the exhaust of a non-turbo vehicle. depending on the header design there is an optimal diameter that will actually cause momentum in the exhaust flow. Basically it need to be small enough to restrict the flow just enough so that the individual exhaust pulses compress into a single smooth flow, but not so much so that it actually blocks the flow.

Again start looking around and seeing what people recommend. Pickup a few magazines and look for exhaust or intake "shootouts" where they test a whole slew of systems and give you price and horsepower numbers.

90% of building up your car is research...

once you've got the intake and cat-back settled how you like it then you can start looking at computer stuff.

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply Twisted, learned a lot there! I did sign-up to a Chevy forum, and asked some questions there first, but no one ever visits the site, so I a week for reply's. What would I want to ask for, in a Auto shop for the cat-back exhaust? Do I say "I want a Cat-back installed" and they know what I mean, and I wont sound stupid? I researched, and found out I want the Flowmaster Super 44 Cat-back. But am not 100% sure what that is. I believe it is pipes, muffler, and tips?

Is cat-back short for something, or what? And (specifically) what is it?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »

The term "cat" is short for catalytic converter which looks kind of like a mini muffler on  your exhaust usually mounted under the driver right when the exhaust exits the engine bay. It usually has a lot of heat shielding on it too because it can get super hot. Basically it's a ceramic honeycomb that is used to help clean the exhaust gases.

Since "cats" are fragile and can wear out they're ususally built with flanges on either side of them to easily unbolt and replace it with a new one. This also makes it easy to replace other exhaust components.

You are legally obligated to have a catalytic converter on your car, it's a federal law in the USA that your car either has to have the original emissions equipment from the manufacturer or a replacement that is federally approved.

Since there is a lot of red tape in replacing or removing the cat many people opt to replace 100% of the exhaust up to to the cat. hence a "cat-back" replaces 100% of the exhaust system from the catalytic converter all the way back to and including the exhaust tips.

Generally just replacing the muffler and exhaust tips is called an "axle-back" since it replaces everything from the rear axle and back.

On turbo vehicles they often make "turbo-back" systems which... you guessed it, replaces everything from the turbo charger back.

I'm sure you're seeing a theme here...  Whenever you replace exhaust components for performance reasons you basically pick a point and replace everything from that point on...  

I'm sure if you went to a performance shop and said "I want a cat-back exhaust" they'll know what you're talking about... though there is a HUGE difference in sound and performance from one exhaust to another, so you'll really want to do your research and walk into said shop with a brand and model in mind.

I'm not an American truck kind of guy so I'm not too familiar with the different brands of aftermarket exhausts... though I could chew your ear off about the Japanese aftermarket  laugh.gif

I do know a lot of guys with Chevy trucks running Borla, Magnaflow or Flowmaster brand exhausts... most of them do it for sound but they do offer quite a bit of performance to your car too. If you're cheap you can find a local shop that does custom exhaust work (they're easier to find then you think) and just tell them you want a custom pipe that flows well and sounds good and they'll probably fix you up a custom system for about $300... it will be hit or miss on the performance gains though since they usually just eyeball it and call it a day (for what it's worth this is what I have on my Toyota pickup, but that's only because the stocker had a hole and I needed it fixed)

Most of my american truck buddies order from:
www.jegs.com
www.summitracing.com

so you might check out those sites to see whats you there for your truck.

Also exhausts are stupid easy to install... especially on a truck since you don't even need to jack it up to do it.

for a cat back there are 2 bolts and then the rest is just rubber exhaust hangers that you pull off with your hands... that's it! it will take an hour tops if it's your first time.

The only part that can be tricky is if it's an older car the bolts and flange surface might be rusty making it hard to remove and difficult to seal to the new exhaust section. In those cases just pickup a can of "PB Blaster" to spray the bolts with and then once they're off sand the old flange surface smooth so it makes good contact and seals with the new exhaust section.

Considering your truck is only an 06 I doubt you'll have many problems in that regard though.

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Unfortunately, I got the quotes from the guy I rear-ended a month ago. The damage is $2100.00 to fix his truck only. Thats my entire bank account/ life savings! My parents aren't going to help me out here, which sucks for me because I am only a High School Senior. So now I'm officially broke, and am driving a damaged truck. Amazing. I chose to repair his truck out of pocket because if I went with insurance, I would then be paying $5,000 a year  ohmy.gif

So it looks like my truck wont be receiving any upgrades soon, and I am broke without a job, and my own truck is damaged. Life is great.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »

hrm... maybe you should consider bigger brakes then  laugh.gif  sad.gif

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »

That sucks buddy, I hit a guy in the rear about a year and a half ago with my little Ranger.  It was an older guy in a Silverado and it didn't do anything to his (trailer hitch took all the pain...and delivered it to my bumper).  I still haven't fixed my truck either.  Those dang bumpers are insanely expensive, they want $300 for a friggin used slightly damaged one.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »

I had a friend from out of state drive up to visit me... less than a mile from my house she, in her volvo, rear ended a chevy with a trailer hitch... it punched right through the bumper, grill, an airbag sensor, the hood latch, the radiator, and the radiator support

$3500 worth of damage to her car... the truck drove off without a scratch  blink.gif

I get around this stuff by driving pieces of crap... my old Toyota is only worth about 4K if it gets wrecked I just strip off all the good parts and buy another one.  laugh.gif

I'm convinced... new cars are for suckers tongue.gif

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »

Maybe someone would like to answer this question of mine, no one on GMC forums knows the answer to:

I cannot find a throttle body spacer for my V6 4.3L truck. Can anyone give me a link to where to buy one? I found this one site, I think it would work with my 06' Silverado:
http://www.autoparts...tle_body_spacer

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »

Went to airaid.com and pluged in your truck

200-615 is their part number for their throttlebody spacer for your truck.

Their official online resellers: http://airaid.com/dealers_online.asp
or you could shop locally: http://airaid.com/dlrlocator.asp

Then I went to streetandperformanceelectronics.com

43016 is their part number for their throttle body spacer for your truck
http://www.streetand...pinst/43016.pdf

... That was easy  laugh.gif
Pages: [1] 2