xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New Car  (Read 333 times)

deakphreak

• Archived User
New Car
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »

I have just upgraded from a protege to an RX8.  This car is great but does use up gas fast and it seems to not like hot weather at all.  Does anyone have any experience with one of these and have any suggestions for gettin the most out of it.  I would like to get some upgrades but cant spend a ton of money, with a baby being on the way and all.  I should be able to put about $1,000 in to it though.

Here are some pics.
IPB Image
IPB Image

deakphreak

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Aug 15 2007, 01:59 AM) View Post

Oh I see how it is.. Just show up my '78 Omega with your fancy, new RX8  tongue.gif

I love RX8s.. g0t m4xx21 has one.. he may be able to help you out.

HA HA HA thats right!!  tongue.gif  Na, i saw your post and it inspired me to post mine to try and get some help lol. Ive been reading lots of issues with heat, but mostly people in texas and las vegas. The maximum it gets here is like 100 and even then, the rx8 doesnt have much power starting out.  If its cool outside or i just start it up, then i can really feel the power of it.  I wish that i was able to get a manual, but in the long run with the baby and everything, an AT will be best.  I would also like to get a sweet paint job like that RX8 on the F&F Tokyo Drift. So if anyone has any suggestions, im all for it.  Here is a pic in case you didnt see that movie.

IPB Image

Chancer

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(garver @ Aug 15 2007, 06:43 AM) View Post

My Friend has one...its a 2004. He said just to remember to put oil in it every 2 fill ups. Also don't use synthetic oils. If you have anymore questions just ask.

What!! Engine problems or what?

Chancer

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(garver @ Aug 15 2007, 04:29 PM) View Post

No rotary engines burn oil.

What every 2 fill ups? the oil will be more expensive than the petrol. If this is the case I wouldn't buy one.
The Synthetic oil I use is £27 for 5 litres, wouldn't want to be throwing that into a car.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »

Rotary engines by nature are finicky engines.  They hate both the extreme heat and the extreme cold.  They are also gas guzzlers no matter what you do with them.  About the only advantage to them is their high RPM capabilities.  Being the former owner of a second gen RX-7, I learned all of these things the hard way.  Even though Mazda redesigned the Rotary engine with the Renesis, it is still apparent that a number of the old Rotary weaknesses are still prevalent.  Although the fact that these issues are already appearing on cars that are less than 4 years old is pretty scary.

deakphreak

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »

I dont find myself putting oil in it very often, just half a quart every now and again, but do put gas in it all the time.  I love how it drives and feels, but hate how it accelerates in hot weather.  Im still debating on whether I should keep goin with this car or try to find something else around the same price range.  I would like something stylish, fast and around 15,000 - 17,000 if anyone has any ideas.

grim_d

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »

put a v8 in it  ph34r.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(deakphreak @ Aug 15 2007, 09:10 PM) View Post

I dont find myself putting oil in it very often, just half a quart every now and again, but do put gas in it all the time.  I love how it drives and feels, but hate how it accelerates in hot weather.  Im still debating on whether I should keep goin with this car or try to find something else around the same price range.  I would like something stylish, fast and around 15,000 - 17,000 if anyone has any ideas.

You might be able to find one of the newer GTOs around that price range.  If not I know an older vehicle that costs significantly less that will lay waste to the RX.  A 5 speed manual Lexus SC300 (same engine as the NA Toyota Supra) will give you a very smooth ride and quick acceleration to boot.  I currently have an automatic version of this car and with the custom exhaust that it has, it is a pretty quick vehicle and is solid as a rock even when excess of 100MPH.

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(deakphreak @ Aug 15 2007, 02:10 PM) View Post

That would be a WRX

deakphreak

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »

The WRX is nice looking. I think that my wife has an RC car of that one. Its kind of weird because when im not driving the RX8 and read about other peoples issues, gas, loss of power in heat, ect.. then it makes me not want it anymore. Then i drive it and fall in love with it again despite the loss of low end power.  My wife and I have decided we will just limit its use to one gas fillup per week.  Our other car is a jeep but I think that does better on gas for our trips to work lol.  What a combination for starting a family huh?  I think our kids will like growing up 2 fun cars even though it will be harder on trips and what not.

capboy210

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(deakphreak @ Aug 15 2007, 03:10 PM) View Post

You should not have too. My father owns a rx7 with 215,000 miles on the original engine. Never had to mix oil in the gas.

Get rid of the rx8 and buy a real mazda sports car, a RX7. Just take care of it and it will take care of you. Check out rx7club.com!

capboy210

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Aug 15 2007, 09:26 AM) View Post

What!! Engine problems or what?

Actually now that I actually read more on it just a second ago......

It's actually not uncommon for people to mix in oil. Just make sure it's not 4 cycle engine oil!! Dump in the oil before pumping gas into the cars tank. If you must put in oil it has to be 2 stroke engine oil. 2 cycle oil burns cleaner, it also lubricates well when heavily diluted by gasoline.

It's not needed to premix but if you have your oil metering pumps disabled then you will need to premix.  If you rev up your engine and find yourself going fast premixing is not a bad idea. deakphreak could drive like a maniac! How do i know? If he does the oil will benefit him.

In theroy premix leaves a nice, sticky, lubricating film behind when it is burned. That is what is keeps the engine from becoming a big, fat metal grinder.

Just a FYI for all rotary owners and other people....

Rylinkus

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »

The Renesis engine is a new beast. It's a redesigned rotary. We don't have 100 years of advancements in it like we do the normal pushrod engine. So it's really an unknown. I doubt it burns oil every 2 fill ups. That'd be what, 1000  miles? On a new car? That's not a diesel? I don't buy it. And I hate to point out the post about the import is coming from a guy whose been a very big domestic advocate.

Don't put oil in your gas. It's not supposed to be there. And burns far less clean than gas and will merely fuck up your pistons, valves, and sensors. Run whatever the manual recommends. I assure you the engineers @ Mazda aren't stupid.

RX7? You're kidding right??? The newest one is 14 years old now??? Ummm, yeah. I don't think I need to say more.

WRX. I love em. If I were buying a new car tomorrow it'd be an STI. Granted Im gonna hold the Z28 and Van combo for a bit longer and both serve me well. Sadly the WRX wagon is gone, which sucks. I really liked it. But I wanted AWD as I live in an area that gets plenty of snow.

If I didn't have to deal with snow..... I'd own an RX8 already. They look great. They drive well, handle well (Far more important than raw power), and are more efficient gas wise when you beat on them. (Keep the RPMS up.) My only gripe is the stupid suicide doors. But I'd certainly drive an RX8. Sadly a RWD car is not practical in Maine year round.

17k don't buy you a lot of car these days. I can name faster cars that are older and will get worse gas mileage. I doubt that;s what you're looking for. I can name older cars that out perform and RX8, but are less practical. I dont know it that;s what you want. All said and done cheap, decent gas mileage, and fun are mutually exclusive options. So you're gonna have to sacrifice one to have another. WRXs are nice. But AWD so they don't get great gas mileage. They are 4 door tho, which make them a usable car. Coworker bought a V6 Charger for 17k. 1 year old. Nice car with a bunch of features. Fun? Probably not. Nice car? Yep. Big, roomy, cushy, nice looking (IMO), semi decent mpg.

I'd keep the RX8 were it me. But that's my opinion. Also realize that most of the rotary engine knowledge in this thread is based on the issues of the earlier rotaries by Mazda. And they've made ALOT of changes in the rotary. Christ guys, give em some credit. No other car company on the market has even been able to bring a rotary to market that wasn't a complete piece of shit.

deakphreak

• Archived User
New Car
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »

Thank you for that. I dont put oil in the gas tank, i put it where the oil is supposed to go and i only put it seems like it only needs it after like 6 fillups or more, im not counting.  I do check it often though. I am going to stick with this car. My all time favorite car is a dodge viper and this car is as close looking to a viper as i can get for now lol. This car had 38000 miles on it and cost me 17,000 which is pretty good.  With this car not being very good for winter, we do have a jeep which will take care of that problem smile.gif  I dont mind the less low end power because one thing i REALLY love about this car is how it handles and rides.

I feel that i am repeating myself sometimes, but over all i have decided this car rocks and am very happy with it. I would like suggestions though on anything that would be helpful to the engine upgrade wise like a cold air intake ect that wouldnt cost a whole lot of money.  I dont know much about cars but know enough.

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Aug 16 2007, 05:09 AM) View Post

The Renesis engine is a new beast. It's a redesigned rotary. We don't have 100 years of advancements in it like we do the normal pushrod engine. So it's really an unknown. I doubt it burns oil every 2 fill ups. That'd be what, 1000  miles? On a new car? That's not a diesel? I don't buy it. And I hate to point out the post about the import is coming from a guy whose been a very big domestic advocate.

Don't put oil in your gas. It's not supposed to be there. And burns far less clean than gas and will merely fuck up your pistons, valves, and sensors. Run whatever the manual recommends. I assure you the engineers @ Mazda aren't stupid.

RX7? You're kidding right??? The newest one is 14 years old now??? Ummm, yeah. I don't think I need to say more.

WRX. I love em. If I were buying a new car tomorrow it'd be an STI. Granted Im gonna hold the Z28 and Van combo for a bit longer and both serve me well. Sadly the WRX wagon is gone, which sucks. I really liked it. But I wanted AWD as I live in an area that gets plenty of snow.

If I didn't have to deal with snow..... I'd own an RX8 already. They look great. They drive well, handle well (Far more important than raw power), and are more efficient gas wise when you beat on them. (Keep the RPMS up.) My only gripe is the stupid suicide doors. But I'd certainly drive an RX8. Sadly a RWD car is not practical in Maine year round.

17k don't buy you a lot of car these days. I can name faster cars that are older and will get worse gas mileage. I doubt that;s what you're looking for. I can name older cars that out perform and RX8, but are less practical. I dont know it that;s what you want. All said and done cheap, decent gas mileage, and fun are mutually exclusive options. So you're gonna have to sacrifice one to have another. WRXs are nice. But AWD so they don't get great gas mileage. They are 4 door tho, which make them a usable car. Coworker bought a V6 Charger for 17k. 1 year old. Nice car with a bunch of features. Fun? Probably not. Nice car? Yep. Big, roomy, cushy, nice looking (IMO), semi decent mpg.

I'd keep the RX8 were it me. But that's my opinion. Also realize that most of the rotary engine knowledge in this thread is based on the issues of the earlier rotaries by Mazda. And they've made ALOT of changes in the rotary. Christ guys, give em some credit. No other car company on the market has even been able to bring a rotary to market that wasn't a complete piece of shit.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
New Car
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »

YAY MAZDA!!!!   im trying to find some upgrades for mine, too, without voiding the warranty  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Pages: [1] 2 3