xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Offtopic: Car Alarm Problems  (Read 94 times)

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
Offtopic: Car Alarm Problems
« on: July 18, 2007, 05:10:00 AM »

Hi Guys Had a Rhino Ramv2 alarm installed in my Lancer not long ago but im not happy with the installation took it back to the company who installed it & they said there is nothing they can do & where blaming my tinted windows.

Anyways here is what i have

Ram v2 with in built shock + Glass Breakage sensor

Tilt sensor

Microwave sensor

2 point immobilizer.

Doors bonnet & boot switches.

If you guys are aware once this alarm goes off it sms your mobile a message to advise you that the alarm has been triggered.

Here is the problem.

One I cant arm or disarm the car using the remotes without been atleast 1 meter to the drivers door any further & it doesnot work. ( whats the point of having a remote then if i can use it from a decent distance & no use for the panic button)

30% of the time i have no reception on the alarm so sms or call feature is useless even tho hand held mobile has full reception.

When alarm is triggered sms sent to phone contains wrong information.

E.g = I kick my tires or tap on the car (shock) alarm goes off message states bonnet has been opened.

When i open the doors it says doors.

Tilt sensor says bonnet & boot, microwave says boot.

I think they havent wired it up properly but hey they wont admit it.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:55:00 AM »

They're BSing you man...

the tinted windows have nothing to with range... the remote works on RF so line of sight is not needed. The transponder should be mounted on your windshiled if they placed it INSIDE the car like under the dash or something the steel body panels would shield the remote signal and give your your crappy range... Meaning they probably were too lazy to mount the antenna on the windshield. The same goes for the SMS reception.

The weird messages sound like a simple incorrect wiring.

This is why I try to work on my own cars when I can.

Also why did you post this hear? I'm sure many of the guys on the automotive board could help... be sure ubernewb sees this too he's an installer for this stuff and could give you a much better answer than I could.

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »

Did not think about posting it there migh move it across Thanks.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »

Looks to me like this simply was a bad install job all the way around.  I wouldn't even trust them to fix it.  Take it somewhere reputable.  Don't know where you are but I know of a great place in central jersey and a great place in south florida.
edit: uhm nvm.  seems like you might be a little too far...

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »

where to begin?

(this is why i stick to chain stores folks.. ma & pa shops do this kind of crap constantly.. at least the big chains have warranties and other people to talk to in this kind of situation)

1. range.. the antenna that alarm comes with is meant to be an externally mounted one. looks kinda like one of those old school cell phones ones. my guess is that they shoved it under your dash to save time. kinda dirtball.. but i've definately seen it happen before.

and as weird as it might sound, your window tint can definately affect your range if the antenna is placed in the car.. a lot of newer window tints available today have a metallic content to them.. it affects rf signal just like your car's sheet metal does.. usually the darker tint contains a higher percentage of the metallic content. i'm not saying, however, that it's as bad as sheet metal for signal penetration.. but it definately doesn't help an already hindered situation.

2. missing sms messages.. see above. with the cell phone style external antenna, you can be sure that that thing's sending the text messages as well..

3. incorrect messages/triggers .. the alarm you bought didn't include the tilt and proximity sensors, you had to buy those seperately. my guess is that the alarm itself didn't come with a lot of different options for adding extra sensors. the only triggers the alarm itself has (guessing here) would be for the door, trunk, hood, shock, and glass.. pretty sure the glass break microphone would have it's own plug, so that leaves 4 wires on the main harness for triggers.. the problem here is actually 2 different things.

a. you have 6 different triggers ..  door, trunk, hood, shock, tilt, prox
b. all the wires on the harness are black

in order to get all the triggers working you'd have to tie a few of them together. (ie.. tie shock and tilt together to alarm's shock input) depending on how they tied it together, that's explain the different messages.. not to mention the fact that they could have gotten the 4 black wires mixed up during the install..

and that's just off the top of my head.. i could probably give you some more answers if i was playing with the car itself, but seeing as how we're a few thousand miles away from each other, that ain't gonna happen

best thing you can do is to go back into the shop and try and be cool with the guys.. make your concerns known, but don't get confrontational about it. KEEP YOUR COOL! .. kill em with kindness i always say.. they're a lot more likely to help you out if you're cool about it (believe me.. i know. i can't tell you how many times i've brickwalled some random customer for getting mouthy with me)

worst case scenario, take it to another shop.. i say worst case here because this will cost you. troubleshooting work like this is time consuming and you will most likely be charged by the hour. as an example, my shop charges $72 an hour to troubleshoot this kind of thing. figure you've already got an hour's worth of time in the guy tearing the car apart and then putting it back together again.. let alone the time spent actually working on the problem.

one word of advice, if you do have to go to another shop.. DO NOT BASH THE GUYS AT THE OTHER SHOP! .. most of us in this profession know each other.. their's not a whole lot of installers out there, so we tend to get to know each other. that jackass from the other shop might just be his drinking buddy.. hell, it could be his girlfriend's brother (been in that one myself) ... if he wants to start talking crap, then so be it.. just make damn sure you don't.

well that's enough from me.. i hope this is useful to you, and good luck getting the problem resolved

beerchug.gif uber

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »

I never knew tint had metallic elements in it... learn something new every day  cool.gif

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jul 18 2007, 05:56 PM) View Post

I never knew tint had metallic elements in it... learn something new every day  cool.gif

some do, you have to be sure to ask the place that's installing it. if you have an on-glass radio antenna it can affect the reception of that as well.. especially on the am bands

and now you know.. and knowing's half the battle .. GO JOE!

laugh.gif

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »

Thanks Uber I appreciate ur suggestions.

You Know the saying. If you wants something done properly then do it your self.

Ill prob pull the dash covers off track the wiring down & re do it cant be that hard i mean i install car audio stereos durring my spare time.

Since work was paying i thought i have some place do it bix mistake.

My glass breakage sensors arnt they meant to have like these lil microphone peices on then & should be placed on the side pillar there is nothing there lol. My  microwave sensors are so strong if i arm my car & waive my hand 3 cms from then windscreens it goes off.

lol ill take some pics of the install during the weekend.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jul 18 2007, 08:56 PM) View Post

yea my radar has been stifled by metallic tint too many times.  I only use ceramic based formula one Pinnacle series tint and do all my windows, even the windshield.  This way for cleanliness I can mount an antenna behind back seats but still inside car and I get great reception still.