xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Alpine 9883 In Bmw  (Read 95 times)

noobiex2

• Archived User
Alpine 9883 In Bmw
« on: June 22, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »

I just upgraded my stock sound system and came across a small yet annoying problem...the display lights are WAY too bright! Has anyone taken their faceplate apart and replaced them with different LEDs? BMW stock is orange and I would love to be able to switch them out if a guru reads this.

Thanks, as always beerchug.gif

pics I have but left the connector at the office...damn mad.gif

CJLee89

• Archived User
Alpine 9883 In Bmw
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »

you dont have a dimmer switch or knob that you can adjust the brightness?

noobiex2

• Archived User
Alpine 9883 In Bmw
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »

There is a dimmer switch but the difference is negligible...think of 100% down to 90% grr.gif .  The main idea here is to coordinate/switch the garish blue/red to the subdued amber of a 90's 3-series.

lostboyz

• Archived User
Alpine 9883 In Bmw
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 01:15:00 AM »

well as I cant be sure because I havent seen the specific head unit, I am about to change out 30smds on a friends headunit from his scion XB. Once I have a look at it I may be of some more help. I have done many smd replacements on other things but this would be my first on a headunit.

Also AFAIK, at least 0603 smd leds (most common) come in only blue, red, green, yellow, and white. If you wanted an amber color you may just have to use a tinted diffuser. Not 100% on this, just from what I have found while purchasing.

noobiex2

• Archived User
Alpine 9883 In Bmw
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »

I would love to hear how the mod goes. I'll upload some pics tomorrow as well as open the HU so you could get a better look inside to see if it's the same as your buddy's (alpine?).

I'll ask around on the bimmer forums to find out if anyone has been able to find amber leds...don't think that i'll find much because these two avenues don't usually cross tongue.gif

side info--the Alpine

the pic on the website does NO justice to the level of brightness!

noobiex2

• Archived User
Alpine 9883 In Bmw
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »

Picture:

IPB Image

noobiex2

• Archived User
Alpine 9883 In Bmw
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »

IPB Image

lostboyz

• Archived User
Alpine 9883 In Bmw
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »

so you just need those 6 buttons dimmed? because the lcd screen is a different monster, you would have to root around for the backlight source resistance and swap it for something bigger or a small pot.

those buttons are probably run of the mill leds, if they are smd (most likely) your best bet would be red, dosent really clash with orange