xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 104 times)

capboy210

• Archived User
Need Advice
« on: May 09, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »

Are they good cars? I am looking at one with 60,000 miles. It needs a new clutch and tires. Otherwise the rest is in great condition. Has a ground effects body kit and cold air intake. The intake scoop on the side is fully functional. Also has some 17' inch rims. He is asing $7000.

What do you guys think? do '92 MR2's have any issues that I should know about? They reliable?

Here is the picture, now you know why I want it:

IPB Image

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »

Toyotas in general are excellent cars.  There are some things we need to know though.  Is it a turbo?  Turbos are always higher maintenance (regardless of make or model) and on a '92 if it hasn't been replaced in the last few years it is either already shot or going to be shot very soon.   Does he have mainteance records?  Are you going to be doing most of the basic maintenance or will you be taking it to your mechanic for everything?  The issue here is that the MR2s are mid-engined vehicles and due to the location and cramped quarters for the engine and other essential running parts, labor costs will be higher.  Not sure how accurate the site is but here is what I was able to find on common trouble issues for the MR2s of that generation:

http://consumerguide...oyota-mr2-2.htm

*EDIT* BTW do you happen to have the VIN number?  If you could post it or send it to me, I can run you a detailed carfax report on it.

capboy210

• Archived User
Need Advice
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »

It's a non turbo. I had a short talk and look with the owner at pepboys. I will let you know when I get the VIN so you can see what history this car has. I will be doing some basic maintenance, and another question I got is the radiator is still in the front correct? I really hope on getting this car, there are several people in my area layin' down offers. Also, does the car use a timing chain or timing belt?

capboy210

• Archived User
Need Advice
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »

Fuck, I got a call to find out it was sold. That was one hot ride.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Need Advice
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »

I know the feeling man, now you know what I have been going through for almost two months now.  I know that it's a bit late but as far as the chain drive goes, I don't think Toyota switched to those until 2002 or 2003 and to my knowledge that was only on the Camrys.

rms2001

• Archived User
Need Advice
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ May 9 2007, 05:27 PM) View Post

Toyotas in general are excellent cars.  There are some things we need to know though.  Is it a turbo?  Turbos are always higher maintenance (regardless of make or model) and on a '92 if it hasn't been replaced in the last few years it is either already shot or going to be shot very soon.

Huh? A turbo needs to be replaced at 60k miles? Hell, we put all most 150k on our truck last year (its at all most 400k as we speak and it’s a 2004). And before you get your panties in a twist about my ricer bashing, it was a Japanese truck of all things. A TURBO diesel powered Isuzu NPR. The only thing that’s been replaced on the truck is the transmission twice.  grr.gif  As long as you treat the turbo right and not shut your engine down when your EGTs are like 600F +, they will last a long time.

Any way… To the best of my knowledge all MR2s came with the 5S-FE engine, and they had a timing belt. I’m also pretty sure the radiator is upfront in these cars. Doesn’t make sense to me, but hey, nothing dose on a Toyota. The only issues I know when them are those dump pop-up head lights. Seen a lot that are stuck up.

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
Need Advice
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(rms2001 @ May 10 2007, 01:50 AM) View Post

Huh? A turbo needs to be replaced at 60k miles? Hell, we put all most 150k on our truck last year (its at all most 400k as we speak and it’s a 2004). And before you get your panties in a twist about my ricer bashing, it was a Japanese truck of all things. A TURBO diesel powered Isuzu NPR. The only thing that’s been replaced on the truck is the transmission twice.  grr.gif  As long as you treat the turbo right and not shut your engine down when your EGTs are like 600F +, they will last a long time.
Any way… To the best of my knowledge all MR2s came with the 5S-FE engine, and they had a timing belt. I’m also pretty sure the radiator is upfront in these cars. Doesn’t make sense to me, but hey, nothing dose on a Toyota. The only issues I know when them are those dump pop-up head lights. Seen a lot that are stuck up.

some mr2's also had a 4agze i think

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Need Advice
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »

You wouldn't have wanted to replace the clutch on a mid engine car anyway... that's some hairy labor involved right there.

capboy210

• Archived User
Need Advice
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »

Would have costed 700$ or more.