xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: My 240sx Search and Build up  (Read 1451 times)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
My 240sx Search and Build up
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »

I sent an email out yesterday to the guy in Maine asking if he ever got a-hold of the dealer

I got a reply this morning:

Yea dude Im sorry, but I have some bad news! The dealer was bull shitting me the entire time and now Im forced to fill for an investigation. Sorry for any further inconvinience and dont know what you want to do. If you want I can give your deposit back or whatever, but this is gonna take some time! Get back to me.

grr.gif

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »

Time to get your $ back and find another 240. This guy obviously has no idea what the hell he is doing. How hard is it to get a title if you own the car???? If you're having issues getting a title it means something very shady is going on somewhere. Bail out man. Run!!!!

Berzerker92

• Archived User
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »

yup. before he doesnt offer to give you your $500 back, good luck... theres a few for sale around me but you dont live in wisconsin.  happy.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Jun 28 2007, 06:05 PM) View Post

I disagree with this math entirely. If you keep the Lexus you OWN a car. That you can sell at some later date for money. If you lease a Scion you own nothing. Looking at the costs and comparing them is a bit off I think.

Not really.  A car is a poor investment pure plain and simple (unless it is a classic or something else that appreciates).  Thus far I am into my Lexus for $9500 (to say nothing of the interest involved).  So unless I have nothing to deal with but oil changes for the next 2-3 years, the vehicle will easily exceed the cost of Leasing a brand new scion.  While I agree that you can lose a bunch of money on leasing, it is all a matter of perspective.  If you have the tools, skills to work on your own car, then I agree that it would definitely be to your advantage to buy a used vehicle and just take things as they come.  However, for the rest of us who aren't so lucky, owning a used vehicle is a very spendy proposition and those surprise maintenance issues really do add up.  To say nothing of the inconvenience of being without a vehicle (sometimes for several days).  So while you are correct that in the long run that leasing isn't the most economical, it does put one into a position of having a reliable car for a reasonable monthly payment with no obligation to hold onto the vehicle after say 45K miles.  

Lemon Crevice

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jun 28 2007, 10:50 AM) View Post

That depends how old your jeep is... 15 years or older and a title is not required in the state of NH (they wont even issue one) meaning that a registration and bill of sale from the previous owner is all that is needed. to get a title in another state.

yea my jeep is almost 18 years old so i guess it all worked out.

If i were you id strongly consider pulling out and get your deposit back, maybe you can work out a deal with him and when, if he does ever get the title he can sell it to you, and in the mean time you can still look. The advantage is this way you still have the same chance of the deal working out, you can still look for other 240's, and you will have your 500 so there is nothing to lose except for time.

Jester are you remembering to factor in that you will eventually sell the lexus and get something back. or the fact that you will lose money selling it now anyway which would pretty much add to the cost of leasing a Scion? Its your money so you can do what you want i just want to make sure you have all areas covered. And i would take a Tc over a Sc any day

gronned

• Archived User
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »

Buy a Volvo 240 instead.. should be dirt-cheap, and with a really "sporty"(bulky) look tongue.gif

Seriously, they're cool!

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(Lemon Crevice @ Jul 1 2007, 01:57 AM) View Post

yea my jeep is almost 18 years old so i guess it all worked out.

If i were you id strongly consider pulling out and get your deposit back, maybe you can work out a deal with him and when, if he does ever get the title he can sell it to you, and in the mean time you can still look. The advantage is this way you still have the same chance of the deal working out, you can still look for other 240's, and you will have your 500 so there is nothing to lose except for time.

Jester are you remembering to factor in that you will eventually sell the lexus and get something back. or the fact that you will lose money selling it now anyway which would pretty much add to the cost of leasing a Scion? Its your money so you can do what you want i just want to make sure you have all areas covered. And i would take a Tc over a Sc any day

Yes, I know I will lose money.  The fact of the matter though is that in addition to being between $4500-$4600 in the hole for the Lexus, I also owe $500 to my parents for helping to cover the cost of the exhaust overhaul on the Lexus.  So until I get my parents paid off in the next few months I am looking at a $300 a month payment between the two.  The advantage of getting rid of my car now is that I can get both of those paid off and still have a decent deposit on the lease and the monthly payment would be lower, to say nothing of the fact that I would have the piece of mind of a new car.  

Lemon Crevice

• Archived User
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »

Ive been against leasing a car for the major reason that you can't mod it in many ways or you will just lose more. Are you planning on doing anything to the car or just gonna keep it stock?

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »

Just keep it stock.  As has been shown above I really don't have the money to do any serious kinds of mods anyways.  And should I decide to do any mods, it's no secret that the Scions are the most stock moddable vehicles in existance (plenty of add on options for them) and they won't hurt the lease any.  As mentioned while it is true that in most cases you lose more in the long run, it's all about manageable monthly payments versus a manageable monthly payment AND whatever expensive things go wrong on my car.  If I seem paranoid about this let me explain my concern.  I have owned 5 used vehicles over the years AND NOT ONE OF THEM has only had routine maintenance.

1) 1988 Dodge Colt.  Engine seized up 4 months after I bought it and had to be replaced.

2) 1992 Mazda MX-3.  Synchro to the 4th gear was shot, ECU went bad and failed air emissions, exhaust began blowing white smoke.  

3) 1988 Mazda RX-7.  There wasn't a hose that I didn't replace under that hood and the fuel injectors leaked something fierce even after getting them cleaned, repaired, ect (serious fire hazzard).  

4) 1997 Saturn SL2.  Engine needed a minor rebuild within the first month of ownership, Transmission/Torque converter was starting to go when I got rid of it almost a year later.  The engine was also starting to use oil at an alarming rate (If I didn't use 20W50 it would go through about 4 quarts of oil in 2-3 weeks).  

5) 1995 Lexus SC300.  Both Catalytic Converters and virtually the entire exhaust system had to be replaced within the first 5 weeks of ownership.  Taking a look at the replacement cost for the climate control system and the suspension parts is enough to make even the most mechanically inclined person nervous.  

Now maybe you can understand why I would be willing to go and lease a brand new vehicle.  It doesn't matter how long I take to search, my mechanic going over it with a fine tooth comb, checking carfax, ect.   I always end up with a vehicle that requires more than it's fair share of maintenance.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »

Ok so here's a fun addition to my story.

the beautiful example of a 240 in Maine the one I put a deposit on over 4 months ago...

well it turns out that the original owner donated it to the kidney fund and neglected to sign over the title.

the kidney fund auctioned it off where a dealer in Maine bought it.

The guy I'm buying it from "Stan" bought it from that dealer took the blue carbon copy of the title application and registered the car.

Since the state never issued Stan a title he contact them and an investigation was filed.

They never issued a title because when the dealer sent in the title application he failed to provide a bill of sale proving ownership... Also the reason his dealership was shut down previously is because he had done this on a number of other occasions as well.

So what happens now?

What happens now is the State of Maine is taking possession of the car and refunding "Stan" retail value.

... so what is easily one of the best examples of an s14 240sx in all of the USA (at least that I could find) may never see the road again because of a friggin paper trail.  sad.gif

Does anyone have any idea what Maine does with such vehicles? Do they destroy them? do they issue a salvage title and auction them off or what?

Because if this thing is going up for auction, let me tell you, I want to be at that auction.

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »

my guess would be is that they auction it off at the big state auction where everything that's been reposessed from criminals is sold, it sucks ass looking for the right car i've been searching for about a month now and nothing has really caught my eye

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »

I bought a 240 today  love.gif

FINALLY

It's paid for... the title is signed over. I have to drive back to main with a trailer to pick it up (it's got a few engine problems and it's not registered so I don't want to drive it back).

Pics will follow soon. it's not perfect but I got it cheap enough that I'll be able to have an SR20 swap done (I decided not to do it myself) within a month or two  biggrin.gif

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 1 2007, 06:51 PM) View Post

I bought a 240 today  love.gif

FINALLY
It's paid for... the title is signed over. I have to drive back to main with a trailer to pick it up (it's got a few engine problems and it's not registered so I don't want to drive it back).

Pics will follow soon. it's not perfect but I got it cheap enough that I'll be able to have an SR20 swap done (I decided not to do it myself) within a month or two  biggrin.gif

woo-hoo!! congrats on finally tracking one down! be sure to get some pics up as soon as you get her home

beerchug.gif uber

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »

The Car isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination... but over all I'd say it's a 7 out of 10 and there are no MAJOR problems with it just lots of minor stuff.

Pics that the seller took:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The Exterior:
A few problems here, there's a dent in the hood above the passengers side headlight where someone had backed up into it with a trailer hitch... it's ugly but the only thing it damaged was the hood.

The clear coat is pealing on the trunk lid and there is some very minor (half dollar sized) on the passengers side  rear wheel well. Also the antenna is broken (happened some time after the picture was taken apparently)

Aside from that and 12 years worth of scratches and sun fading the exterior the body is in good shape. I plan on doing a front end swap eventually so the hood is going to get replaced anyway and it will likely get painted in a much brighter shade of red. at the same time fixing all the other issues... and antennas are cheap.

The Interior:
Missing floor mats and apparently the guy owned another 240 where the previous owner had painted the trim pieces yellow so he decided to swap them out for the good trim pieces in this car  dry.gif  ...whatever, I'll try to strip the paint and if that fails I'm sure I can find some junk yard/ebay replacements

Aside from that the interior is easily the cleanest interior of any 240 I've driven yet, no rattles or squeaks either.

The Engine:
The owner claimed the engine ran strong and reliably and he had used it as a daily for  a year leading up to last November when he took it off the road and replaced it with a real daily driver... it seemed to run great for about 10 minutes and then like a switch was flipped it started sputtering and had really low power then it would click back to normal... He didn't come with me on the test drive but stood by that he had never experienced that even after we signed all the papers. it seems to me like a sensor is wonky or something got gunked up with the car sitting unused for nearly a year.

Aside from that the only engine related problems is a small hole in the muffler, no big deal because the exhaust is the first thing that's getting replaced.

The Suspension/Drivetrain:
The car has adjustable AGX Shocks in all 4 corners that are less than 2 years old... and you can tell. Every other 240 I've driven had blown shocks so it was refreshing to see how the car handled without a broken suspension  laugh.gif  Overall it felt solid handling wise. There was a slight vibration on the front left wheel but it could have just been low tire pressure (again sitting for almost a year) he also threw in brand new drilled/slotted rotors and pad not even installed, so if it's a brake issue... well that's covered too.

He didn't know if it had the optional Limited Slip differential, I did a little drifting in some dirt during my test drive (he wasn't with me  laugh.gif ) and it felt  like it had an LSD but I wont know for sure until I get under it.

It also has ABS which is a fairly rare option in this model year, A lot of the wannabe drift racers pull it out because you can't lock the brakes but I actually want it in because I dont plan on drift racing and well... in my experience if you're not drifting ABS usually stops you better.

The one thing I didn't like about this car is it has 4 lug hubs and I really wanted 5 lug hubs.. No big deal really though poking around online it seems like a really simple install albeit a bit pricey... the hub&bearing units run about $500-$600 for the whole car NEW and it would probably take 2-3 hours tops to do the conversion. The expensive parts comes in when you also have to replace the rotors and wheels at the same time because they all rely on the bolt pattern.

Non Turbo 300zx brakes (front and rear) and rear hubs all fit the 240 as a direct replacement, and I can get the front hubs from either a JDM silvia or the 240sx SE model from the US.... so I'll probably see if I can find  junkyard parts from a 300zx and save those parts until I need to replace the wheels and do them all at once.

The Modification plan:
I had nearly $7K saved toward this project car considering I spent less than half of that on the car I'm a few hundred short of being able to do an SR20 swap right now. I was quoted $4500 for a complete turnkey SR20 + 5 speed swap with the appropriate year JDM motor for the car.

So I'll be dropping $500 for a cat-back exhaust right away. and I should have enough money to have the swap done within the next month or two.

At that point  I'll have a WRX killer that looks like trash  laugh.gif

I'm planning on financing a daily driver/winter beater and selling my truck and if I can get $3-$4K for my truck then I'll have enough to do the Kouki Body swap and a fresh paint job... And then Hopefully I'll have enough money saved over the winter so that next spring I can do the wheels hubs and brakes and drive around in my very own Silvia  happy.gif

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »

yeah, well when you've looked at a dozen of these cars for sale where the seller wants $5K and it's been in a front end collision, the sun roof has caved in and the suspension is completely shot something with bent hood and yellow trim for $3400 starts to look like the holy grail  laugh.gif

Also when it takes you over a years worth of searching to find the car you have plenty of time to save money.  laugh.gif
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15