xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alpine Type R Subwoofers  (Read 133 times)

mike96sc2

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« on: October 03, 2006, 08:25:00 AM »

I couldn't find a difference between these two models. Maybe I'm blind though, anyone know of any differences?

I wasn't sure if I was going to go with JLs or the Alpines, but I think the Alpines sound good.

C o s m o

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »

I'm a HUGE fan of Alpine stuff.  Can't go wrong with them.  The 1242 are 4ohm.  The 1222 are 2ohm.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 01:34:00 PM »

I would pick JLs hands down over ANYTHING alpine has to offer.  I guess it's just me but I am very picky about sound quality and even the high end alpines distort way to early in the game for my tastes and produce a distorted "fuzz" that just bugs the shit out of me.  Seriously, compare the highest end Alpine with a JL Audio W1 sub (entry line JL) and tell me you can't tell a difference in the clarity.  You certainly can find subs with more power handling than JL has but it is difficult to find the quality that matches.  I have had so many people try and tell me that their subs are comparable or better in sound quality, accuracy than JL, of course these are the people who think that Rockford Fosgate and MTX are great subs.   dry.gif

C o s m o

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »

I've never used JL, simply because I've had tremendous success with Alpine speakers.  I have heard good things, however.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »

My friends have had JL's here, I just haven't heard any in so long I can't really say yes I'd be happy with them. I have Kicker Comp's because I recalled them being pretty great, well I hadn't heard them in a long time and I didn't realize what I had heard were Solo-barics before they turned to the square design.

I'm running about 720watts RMS per channel so I need something that can handle it.

Maybe I can find a JL dealer in the area so I can compare. The R's I've heard at Best Buy and I know their speakers have been great for everyone who has them.

Further advice tho, sealed or vented box? I don't want a ported or bandpass box, but my current subs are in a sealed box and I'm just not happy enough with the sound.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »

By not being happy with the sound, what exactly do you mean?  Sealed are by far the best for accuracy and clarity, not to mention these type of enclosures require the least amount of airspace.  I personally prefer this type of enclosure since it caters to the type of subs that I prefer.  Ported enclosures sacrifice some clarity and accuracy but definitely adds some more thump to the sub.  Bandpass gives you maximum thump but really sacrifices clarity and accuracy (not to mention it requires the most airspace of any of the enclosures.  If my memory serves me correctly the kicker competition subs are very good for accuracy but don't pack quite as much punch as most other subs.  BTW what kind of amp are you running?  A good sub is nothing without clean power.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »

Just my current subs have an okay sound but they could use a little more bump to them too.

I'd like to feel a little more boom but I obviously don't want any bandpass crap.

I'm willing to sacrifice a little sound for a little more power, but not too much. I've heard some vented setups in-store before and they weren't too bad, so I'm thinking more of going that route.

Luckily I found a place here that sells Alpine and JL equipment both so I can compare side-by-side and maybe get their advice too.

The problem I run into is when I'm in-store it sounds great but when I've got it installed I'm always wishing I had spent a little more or gotten a little more boom. I've just got too many sets here laying around from when I was sure it sounded great only to find it wasn't quite right and upgraded later.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 11:28:00 AM »

IMO i would mess around with your current setup before buying all new equipment. a different box could make a world of difference. maybe you dont have enough air space required by your subs or not the correct type of box. usually ported boxes have a little more "bump" to them. also try tuning the sound with your head unit and amp settings to try to get a better sound.

to actually get the full effect of the the subs you have to try them out in your car. all subs will sound different in the store than in your car. JL is a good choice. the W7's sound amazing.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »

Well I have entry-level Kicker's right now, and I've blown them too many times to count I've had to keep replacing them. Ideally I have these sold I just need payment then I'll be just spending the money I made from selling them for my new stuff.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 01:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(mike96sc2 @ Oct 8 2006, 04:02 AM) View Post

Just my current subs have an okay sound but they could use a little more bump to them too.

I'd like to feel a little more boom but I obviously don't want any bandpass crap.

I'm willing to sacrifice a little sound for a little more power, but not too much. I've heard some vented setups in-store before and they weren't too bad, so I'm thinking more of going that route.

Luckily I found a place here that sells Alpine and JL equipment both so I can compare side-by-side and maybe get their advice too.

The problem I run into is when I'm in-store it sounds great but when I've got it installed I'm always wishing I had spent a little more or gotten a little more boom. I've just got too many sets here laying around from when I was sure it sounded great only to find it wasn't quite right and upgraded later.

What are you running your subs in (are they in a trunk)?  If so then they will never sound as good as they do in the store.  Also keep in mind that most stores do some pretty underhanded shit to make the sale (ie running it through a deck and an amp that run $1000 each).  So be sure to have them run it through some lower end stuff or something that is comparable to the setup in your car/truck.  As for feeling more boom, JLs will certainly solve that problem, JLs definitely have more bite than the entry line kickers (even JLs entry line subs).  Also keep in mind that your subs are only as good as your deck/amp so if they are just average, then it doesn't matter how good your subs are they are never going to reach their full potential.  This is one of the reasons why I always ask people to clarify exactly what they intend to use their car systems for (ie competition, loud blaring bass that can be heard for blocks, type of music they listen to, ect) as it makes a world of difference with what you go for.  Most seem to think that they just need to go out and get as much wattage for as little money as possible.  This is a common fallacy as few actually look at the important stuff ie THD ratings (Total Harmonic Distortion) or what power rating it has at what voltage.  Alot of companies cheat on their ratings and use 13.8V or 14.4V scales to rate their power.  Those who use 12.5V ratings are far more accurate.  Anyways so what brand/model of amp are you running?  What deck?

CJLee89

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »

exactly. also i hate people who go out and buy really cheap stuff and complain the next week when they break. if you are going to buy cheap stuff dont run them at full potential. run them at like 3/4 power or something. no offense to anybody, its just my opinion.

anyway i like to buy things in steps and not all at once. like i bought my deck (Panasonic) first then i purchased my interior speakers (Memphis). next summer im saving up for the bass part of the setup. 2 Eclipse SW7200 12" subs with a Memphis MD-1100. plus the box, wiring, power cap, etc.

i would go JL but there to expensive for me.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 11:36:00 PM »

Really?  Last I checked Eclipse were pretty comparable in price to JL.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »

i can get those Eclipse SW7200 12 inch subs for around $300 (at the most) a piece. and the JL W7's 12 inch are around $600.

anyway, a ported box will give you more "bump". also some ported boxes have ports that can be tuned to different frequencies.

This post has been edited by CJLee89: Oct 11 2006, 08:51 PM

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »

Ah true, I keep forgetting about the W7 series which is pretty much in a class of it's own.  I guess it's just me but I wouldn't get a W7 unless I was planning on entering competitions.  You are correct that a ported enclosure will bring out more bass, unfortunately you need more airspace and you do sacrifice some accuracy.  I just prefer sealed enclosures but that's because I am a real stickler for quality.   I really miss my old setup that I had with my RX-7.  It was perfect for my needs.   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This post has been edited by jesterrace777: Oct 16 2006, 11:39 PM

CJLee89

• Archived User
Alpine Type R Subwoofers
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 06:35:00 PM »

yeah....W7's are freaking loud. (i personally do not own any but i have friends that do). but you have to remember that if you get subs that run at a higher watts (RMS) you are going to have to spend that much more money on an amp to power them. an amp that doesnt have enough power for the subs can potentially damage the subs. as will to much power (obviously).

ported = more "bump", less acuracy

sealed = less "bump" than ported, more accuracy

band-pass = a combo between the two
Pages: [1] 2