xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Motorcycle Life-times  (Read 160 times)

_iffy

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« on: October 01, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »

I'm was looking for a first bike, and one thing i haven't thought about yet...

How long do bike ride for? How many km/mi are they good for?
I keep seeing used bikes aroung 60,000kms(37,282mi) but I've never seen one above 100,000km(62,137mi). Do bikes last that long? I put around 20,000km(12,427mi) to 40,000 km (24,854mi) on my car every year, so I figure I should be putting 10,000km(6,213mi) or 15,000 km(9,320mi) on a bike every year.

Every car I've had the body dies before the engine (my tempo's engine mounts rusted through and the engine fell - funny) I know civics are good for around 350,000km (217,479mi) what about bikes?

Looking at : f4i, gsxr, r6(just looking) -2000's or newer

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 01:13:00 PM »

My bike, has about 40k miles and is 7 years old.

The main thing you are looking at is the same with cars, a properly maintained motor will, like you said, outlast the car itself. As well, I highly recomend a GSX-R. Though, if this is a first bike (as in, you havent riden much before) I would more highly recomend a GSV600 or SV600, they tend to be milder bikes. (Not any less sporty mind you, you just dont have to worry about the front wheel coming off the ground if you just whack open the throttle, like on the Gixxers).

I'd give an opinion on another bike, but I honestly havent ridden much else. Though I did ride a ZX-11 (Ninja) and let me tell you, those damn bikes are PIGS. If you want the CC's, just go with a GSX-R1000, or a CBR 1000 or something slightly more tuned for handling.

As far as years go, I know its slightly older than you want, but if you DO go with a GSX-R might I recomend either a 98 or 99.... They are fuel injected, and there are still a lot of parts for them. As well they tend to be better built than the newer K series of Gixxers (apparently, esspecially in recent years, the frames would litterally snap into peices upon a decent speed crash). Slightly larger but the weight difference really doesnt make that much of an impact on ya. Besides they are cheap, and if you drop the bike or wreck it you arent into it money wise to bad.

Just my 2 cents

_GhOsT_

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »

all the bikes i have seen around here dont last past 30days

my friends cusin had his for 35 days and he crased it and has 5 plates 29 screws and 45 stiches in his leg

yaazz

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 06:39:00 AM »

probably drove like a jackass though....

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 08:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(_GhOsT_ @ Oct 1 2006, 05:36 PM) View Post

all the bikes i have seen around here dont last past 30days

my friends cusin had his for 35 days and he crased it and has 5 plates 29 screws and 45 stiches in his leg

I think you misspelled "riders"  laugh.gif  I don't ride but my whole family has for years (my father and uncle both used to race)

Bikes are like anything else, they'll last years if you take care of them and it's anyones guess how long they'll last if you don't.

_iffy

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 08:57:00 AM »

Thanks for the info wicked. *EDIT: and twisted

I've always wanted a cbr, ever since the 80's so I think I'll be much happier with one of those. I will be in the "first five months" period(time when most riders fall) when I do get a bike so I won't be getting anything over 600cc. And theres no way I'll open the throttle all the way(at least not until I'm confident I can handle wet leaves and loose gravel), so I don't think I'll be in the position where I'll have to deal with a little high speed wheelie.

I do want to make a couple mods on the bike I do get. I want to put a steering dampener on there, which should help if I do have a wheelie. (also good for wabbles) Second I want a frame cage? Not sure what there really called but stunters use them to protect the fairings when the bail on a stunt. I won't be doing stunts but they work so well and they don't look like shit. Kinda makes sense just in case.

I'll take a closer look at those '98 '99 gixers. Unless I can win some roulette money, and then I'll get an '06 r6
IPB Image
Wish I was loaded.

Arjun

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »

I know absolutely nothing about bikes, but that thing looks sexy as hell!

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »

R6 is VERY sexy

Arjun

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »

Word. How much do they run? My dad is looking for a bike...but his mind is set on Bimmers.

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »

around 9,000$

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »

Youre gonna do SOMETHING to a first bike. Dont buy a true gem. Spend 3-4k and get a 97-99 CBR, GSXR, YZF, Ninja, VFR, or whatever. Find one with minor rash to save some cash. And ride it for a year. If anything happens you wont be messing up a brand new ride. Bare in mind bikes do require vigilant maintenance. Tires dont last as long. You certainly dont want to put off brake work, suspension work, or anything else. A bike can very easily be a 2 wheeled death machine if not treated right.

Honestly you start listing sports bikes and talking wheelies. BAD idea. I know a LOT of people whom stunt. And suprisingly, (sarcasm), these are the guys who've ruined 5 bikes and have pins and screws in arms, legs, face, etc. Be smart. Be safe. Stay on TWO wheels as thats a 50% reduction from a car. NEVER drink and ride. EVER. EVER. Read the stats. Most accidents on bikes have alcohol involved...... I drink. Probably too much. I'd never get on my bike. I like my body too much. ARMOR. Get a good helmet. Get a good jacket w/ armor. I'd be permanently messed up if I didnt have a helmet when I went down earlier this summer. My best friend/ ex GF works in an ER. I hear ALOT of bike stories involving helmetless riders. NONE are good. And it doesnt matter how good you are on your bike. My bud hit a dog this year. It ran into his bike. Miraculously he stayed up and killed a 190 lb dog. Mangled a fairing. If he hadnt, his helmet may have saved him. Its the other car that hits you. Or the dog/deer/raccon that runs into you. Or a guy whom throws sand onto the curve by his huse to slow bikers down. (Sad. Bikers go to fast on the corner, but hes risking people's lives as well.) Just make sure you understand and respect how dangerous a bike can be.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 11:38:00 PM »

at least not until I'm confident I can handle wet leaves and loose gravel

Not to burst your bubble, there really is no 'handling' it. When you deal with stuff like that (and I know from experience, I went down this past friday, pics to come soon) there are two ways it goes: Good, and bad, good is mostly luck from what I've seen. The rear tire will come out from under you in a heartbeat.

I will be in the "first five months" period(time when most riders fall) when I do get a bike so I won't be getting anything over 600cc

Not that I'm telling you rush out and buy a 'Busa, but keep in mind, the bikes your talking are all designed and perfectly capable of doing 150 mph, 0-6 in less time than most high performance cars, and can wheelie in first gear just by opening up the throttle. Engine. Size. Doesnt. Matter.

The real difference starts to come when you look into cornering ability, and straightline performance. A 600 weighs less, so can take corners faster, while a liter bike easily make up for lost time in the corners with pure displacement. However, there is one common denominator, keeping in mind (and Suzuki says it best) most sportbikes litterally are race bikes with turn signals, you. You. YOU. Need to be a RESPONSIBLE RIDER!!!! (Key word there, responsible, that doesnt mean dont do 125 down a road, or dont pull wheelies, it just means know WHEN to do them).

Second I want a frame cage?

Not really, go with a good set of frame sliders. Keep in mind, you are somewhat contradicting yourself, your talking about buying a brand new bike (or close to it). As Rylinkus said, a gem of a bike, and yet you want a cage designed to protect said bike in case of falling? I'm telling you, you will kick yourself all over town when you drop the bike even just at a stoplight and have to drop 400 bucks for a new left fairing. Get an older bike, their values are already depreciated as much as they will after about 4-6 years, parts tend to be readily available. Ride it for a year or two, after that, then move into a new bike. Hell, for my 21st birthday (granted thats 3 years away, but meh) I'm going to buy a brand new bike. The GSX-R I have now will officially become a project bike, most likely to become a streched street fighter. But anyways.

Also, if you ride for 2 years, then the '06 will be 3 years old (kind of), plenty of parts, relatively good prices, and still plenty of them around to find mint ones.

As far as frame sliders, dont get metal ones, get some factory OEM type plastic ones. I know this sounds nuts, but plastic > metal. Keep in mind that frame sliders mount to the motor through the frame. Look at it this way (and I know this first hand when I hit the gravel on Friday), if you slide on the ground, the slider keeps most of the plastics off the ground. But if you hit something soft, like wet grass, gravel, dirt, the slider (a metal one) will just bend thereby fucking up your slider, but probably also your frame, and a slight chance of the motor mount. When I hit the gravel the frame slider snapped right off, yeah, it messed up the plastic, but I'll take a repainted plastic fairing over a messed up frame and mounting point on the heads ANY DAY.

which should help if I do have a wheelie.

You wont ever accidentally pull the front wheel up unless you just open the throttle, and even then just you (which will most likely happen naturally) shifting your body weight forward will put the bike back down. Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you from any mods you wanna do, it is/will be your bike and you are free to do what you want with, just saying.

Sorry, I kinda rambled on, I just remember buying my bike and making a lot of similar decisions (I wouldnt call em mistakes, but they certainly lean towards bad judgement calls), thankfully I had my dad, various internet forums (including this one, no less), and many freinds slap me around and help guide me. To sum everything up:
Buy an older used bike
Buy a nice helmet
Buy.. well... gear first, I recomend everything, helment, jacket, pants, gloves, and boots

_iffy

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 08:02:00 AM »

You won't believe what happened...

IPB Image

Just kidding. ^ not my bike. not my accedent.

I think I know what I want and I think I know whats best for me. Getting "the bike of my dreams" right now isn't very practical. I guess I'm going down no matter what I get. And after reading what you guys said, I really don't think I'll be able to handle seeing "my CBR" like that^.

It's not that I want the best bike now, it's just what i'm willing to spend(≤5000) gets me a lot. I guess getting a YZF or cb or a gs would leave me more money for better leathers.

Here in canada we have "graduated liscencing" with an m1 m2 and full m (other wise known as the drinking and driving liscence).
m1 - no pasengers, no ridding at night, no highways, and no drinking (%0.00) - lasts 60-90days
m2 - no drinking (%0.00) - lasts a minimun of 22 months (18 if you attend a ridding school) and a maximum of 5 years
m - no heavy drinking(%0.08)

Drinking won't be an issue for me.

Keep the comments and tips comming. Any help is good help. It's all appreciated.
Thanks

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »

Honestly any bike should be plenty fast your first year. A 600cc bike is not slow by any reasonable standards. And frankly I prefer the looks of some of the older bikes to the newer versions. I really like the Older GSXR with the dual round headlights, and I prefer my 97 YZF over the looks of the newer ones. (Maybe its because every new bike seems to be blue/white/black around here.) I like my yellow and black YZF. Stands out in the crowd.  wink.gif

BTW, Iffy....
If you know the guy that owns that YZF
And they decide to part it out, get me the details on it as there's pieces I may be interested in.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Motorcycle Life-times
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »

What about a Buell Blast? You can pick up a 2000-2002 for 2-3k depending on whose selling. It's a 500cc bike and looks like as hell. Frankly I get the impression theyd be damn fun to ride based on the looks and all.
Pages: [1] 2