xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Saturn Sc2?  (Read 117 times)

ubernewb

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 01:53:00 AM »

54 hp huh? absolute insanity... haha

i remember when i had my metro i wanted to do a swap with the swift engine.. man would that've been great. thank god i drive a real turbo car now... laugh.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 03:12:00 AM »

Believe me folks, if I found a turbo sprint in decent shape, I would buy one as it would be fun and fuel efficient.  As for the metros, Believe me, I have been looking for one, but they are hardly highway friendly and weren't really built to go beyond about 150,000 miles.  Most of the 92-94 Metros in my area have 120K or more and I do alot of driving to and from work.  If I could find a newer metro with lower miles (ie mid-late 90s), then I would definitely buy one.  The thing is that the Saturn is a more practical vehicle on the highway (keep in mind that 75-80MPH is the norm in my area) and a Metro, and most of those other super small econoboxes feel like they are going to rip apart once you get above 65MPH.  For all of my RX-7's faults, I have to give it credit, the car is steady as a rock at high speeds/RPMs.  The whole point behind my interest in these Saturns were that they were well maintained and had very low mileage for the years.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »

Update.  Well it looks like tomorrow I will seal the deal on a car.  It is a '97 Saturn SL2.  So it is the compact 4 door sedan model.  It does have 114K miles but has been well maintained and I am snagging it for $2850 which isn't bad as it books for $3K-$3200 in my area.  It is the 1.9 DOHC engine and it does have an automatic tranny.  Gets high 20s in town and about mid 30s on the highway.  I will post pictures when I get it.  Looks like the rex is really going up for sale now.  I will miss the kickass soundsystem (let's face it a vehicle with a trunk just can't produce the sound for subs that a hatch can) and the ability crank RPMs to rediculous limits but in all other respects I won't miss the RX-7.

Granulated

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

Eh...I like the coupes a ton better than the 4 doors, but it's only personal preference...they're still nice little cars.

If you're planning on any autox'ing, or any other performance mods, the place you wanna be is http://www.turbosaturns.net.  The people can be harsh, but they definetly know what they're talking about.

Otherwise, check out http://www.saturnspot.com  Nice little community of enthusiasts...that's where I would go with any questions or tech help.  I'm a member of both forums...hopefully this helps smile.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »

Nah, man.  As I said before, the whole purpose of buying this car is to have as a daily driver/commuter vehicle that gets good gas mileage.  So the whole 2-door better than 4-door isn't an issue.  Honestly if I wanted a kickass performance machine, I wouldn't be buying a Saturn.  I already have plans for a project performance machine in the not too distant future but I need some cheap reliable transport for daily driving and that is where the Saturn comes in.  It's nothing special but I will post pics of it in the next couple of days.  It is a nice car for what it is though.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 06:31:00 PM »

I already did buy one but as mentioned above I bought the SL2 and not the SC2.  Don't know if that will make a difference or not.

Anyways here is a pic of the car:

IPB Image

Granulated

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »

Looks nice and clean smile.gif

<3 tint on a white car...too bad the fronts and backs don't match...I'm sure you're not too concerned.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »

Actually I think it's the lighting of the picture.  I took it on a rainy day without a flash.  The tint is pretty well matched.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »

FARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   My rotton luck with cars just doesn't change.  About a week ago I noticed a sort of rattling/clicking sound in the engine when I would accelerate and today I took it into the shop.  Looks like I am getting the engine rebuilt.  I debated whether or not to sell the car but I know there is no way in hell I could recover my losses on the sale this time around, not to mention I would be in the exact same boat looking for another car and hoping to hell that nothing would go wrong with the other one.  At least this way I know what I am getting into.

Granulated

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »

Jesus christ...get after the guy who sold it to you.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(Granulated @ Apr 4 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

Jesus christ...get after the guy who sold it to you.

Afraid I can't do that.  All sales were final.   sad.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »

That and the issue really didn't pop up until last week, which was two weeks after I bought it.  Not saying he didn't know about it.  I guess there are two ways to look at it.  1. I bought a car for $2850 and got screwed over by having to have an engine rebuild.  2. I bought a car in good condition for well under $5K with a freshened engine.  Yeah, I know I will never get my money's worth out of it in terms of re-sale value but if I hold onto it for the next 4-5 years and it has minimal complications I will have gotten my money's worth.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 07:39:00 AM »

Well, it was expensive but thankfully no where near the original projected figure.  The rattle ended up being the #2 rod bearing.  The shop checked out all the other stuff in the process (ie crank, other rod bearings, the rods themselves, ect) and found that it wasn't due to neglect it was simply a factory defective bearing that gave out before it should.  Well they replaced it and lubed up all of the other stuff.  They said that all in all the motor was in great shape barring that one stupid bearing.  So anyways, $924 later I have my car back.  The original figure was a bare minimum of $1500 so I am not complaining too much.

Granulated

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »

Well, hopefully, that will be the end of engine problems...now for the other problems smile.gif

Just kidding.  Glad it worked out for ya reasonably alright.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Saturn Sc2?
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Granulated @ Apr 9 2006, 05:03 AM) View Post

Well, hopefully, that will be the end of engine problems...now for the other problems smile.gif

Just kidding.  Glad it worked out for ya reasonably alright.

Sure runs nice now.  Engine is very quiet.  
Pages: 1 [2]