xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adding A Turbo To A Car?  (Read 111 times)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« on: June 21, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »

Okay, I am just looking for some clarification here.  I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to add a turbo to a car with an engine that has over 100K.  Is that true or a bunch of BS?  I know that turbos really give engines a run for their money but if you get a decent engine (ie Mazda 4-banger) then it should handle it okay.  The reason why I ask is because there is a 1995 hardtop Miata in my area with 110K on it for $3,600.  I really want a hardtop and I will look into it before buying of course, but I was just curious as to whether or not it would be out of the question to add one of the readily available turbo kits to this machine?

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »

No it not BS. The engine is already stessed and worn quite abit by then in its life and a turbo could very well be the death of it. A 4cyl would definitly not last to well with a big turbo or TT.

Although if you get the motor redone then it should be fine.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »

You could always check the compression to see if it's still decent as well. But a rebuild would be the safest bet. But it really depends on the engine. You really can't say it won't last. May be more likely not too though. But hardtop Miatas are sweet. Any hardtop convert in general is sweet. It'd probably be a nice buy if it was in decent shape.

Code-Red

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 01:00:00 PM »

Either port and polish all the cylinders (which would be cheap), or just straight out bore them larger. Either way, you need new surfaces in there, or the fuel wont burn properly, and it will malfunction at such high compression ratios.

You might also want to invest in the following:
- Gaskets
- Rocker kits (valves and rods)
- New intake, including intercooler
- CPU upgrade, or tuning

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »

Well it turned out to be a moot point.  I called the guy and he told me that the first person who came out and looked at it bought the thing.  I guess it must've been in good shape if it went that fast.  Oh well, I want one with lower mileage anyways.  Also, does anyone know if there are any other turbo kits out there besides the little Greddy kit for the '89-'93 Miata?  I've done a little searching and that is the only thing that I can find.  I know for sure that there are kits out there for the later model Miatas but I just can't seem to find them readily available.  Sorry but the Greddy kit just doesn't add enough to make it worth it to me.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »

if you run a turbo, keep it mind that it will kill your off-the-line time, scince you have to wait for the turbo to kick in, after that its haul ass. real good (meaning expensive) turbos cut this time down a lot but you still get a bit of lag, if your serious about it, get a stall converter so you can get a better time off the line, and with the turbo lagging a bit it will even out to be pretty good.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 01:25:00 PM »

Yup, I'm well aware that even with the smallest turbo the car won't be doing much until it hits 2K-2.5K RPMS but after that it turns into a rocket. wink.gif  The larger the turbo, the longer it takes to spool up.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »

well, as i said, stall converter will remedy this, works well. i drove a freinds car down the 1/4 mile that had a turbo and stall converter, it took off the line really well for a turbo charged car

Code-Red

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 03:14:00 PM »

Gentlemen, we arent living in the past, turbos these days dont take long to spool up. Any turbo manufactured after 1995 will spin relatively well even at low rpms.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 01:40:00 AM »

Either way, the question still stands.  Other than the basic Greddy turbo kit that is available for the '89-'93 Miatas what are my other turbo kit options.  I am looking for something a little more comprehensive and that will get my Miata in the 200-250HP range. wink.gif

Senorpapacabasa

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 05:23:00 PM »

do your reseach, online and in books (Maximum Boost by Corky Bell).  once you get some knowledge under your belt, then you will be better prepared to make a decision on your turbo options.  personally, i would never buy a "kit", i much rather piece it together.  you can customize it more to what you want.  a t3/t4 turbo with a standalone fuel system(haltech, ems, etc) could get you pretty close to 250 whp.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 11:10:00 PM »

^ yeah, but he may want a kit that just bolts in. after all, i dont know transmissions inside and out but i know how to bolt them in and my truck and car still run just fine...

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 10:55:00 PM »

Yeah, the thing is that I just don't know enough about the innards of a car to do the work myself.  I know that you can get more HP, ect. by putting things together but that is going to be a shitload of labor rather than a turbo kit that is supposed to be a bolt-on.

slim_shady_jr

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 12:33:00 AM »

you can run a turbo on a high mileage engine as long as you dont use to much boost, duh. just like nos to much on order engines not good, but same amount on new engine is safe. its all on what you want and need. i've had engines run 200,000 miles with 7 pounds of boost that were stock not modded for turbo and have my race car set at 23psi right now. bigest things are to remember retard timing, and make sure you have enough fuel.

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
Adding A Turbo To A Car?
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 07:13:00 PM »

If you're worried about turbo lag, you could always look into a centrifugal super charger smile.gif
Pages: [1] 2