xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Car Audio  (Read 85 times)

celinedrules

• Archived User
Car Audio
« on: March 07, 2005, 12:30:00 AM »

The first thing you want to do is get a good quality head unit. Then I would replace the factory speakers. After that then you can add your sub/amp and what not. I usually by my stereo stuff locally but if I do buy online, it's from Crutchfield.

Club Knowledge has a bunch of info about stero installations and faqs.

edit: spelling

yaazz

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »

Dont install anything in your car until you invest in a quality alarm.

nofx

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 09:08:00 AM »

IMO Crutchfield is a little pricey for what you get. I would recommend looking around at head units at the crutchfield site but then go somewhere else on the internet make your purchase there.I did and saved a hundred bucks, but if you have money to burn you can buy from them. this is just my opinion of course. Good luck.

iNfErNaL666

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »

ya head unit first and get new speakers,good subs i recommend jl's my man and get a nice quality amp but i will cost u some mula my man so watch the cash and after u get some sound invest in some lcds

yaazz

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »

I dont understand why everyone wants lcds these days, you cant watch them while im driving!

fishlord

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 01:04:00 AM »

You do not need a performance battery or alternator untill you have a pretty major system.  Upgrade path i would take...

1) head unit
2/3) mids
3/2) sub /amp
4) tweet
5) fancier stuff like cap and the such if you get that far

it all depends on what you want out of it... if you are happy with the way every thing sounds thus far and just want it to pound start off with the sub... If you are really into sound quality it probably dosnt really matter what you buy first as you will have to buy it all in the end anyway.  If you want a pretty good allround for not that much money get a goodish headunit (if u need a new one)  some 6x9's and a sub.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 03:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tropps @ Mar 7 2005, 04:41 AM)
Well, I'm finally getting a car that's worthy of having some money put into it and I'd like to start with an audio system. Unfortunately, I really know nothing about car audio so I'm looking for some web pages or what not anyone may have to get me started. What parts and equipment I need, installation, etc. Thanks for any help.

fishlord

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 11:14:00 PM »

infinity would be a good choice if you are looking for sound quality.

edit: without getting into the perversly expensive stuff

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tropps @ Mar 11 2005, 10:34 PM)
I'm mainly a rock guy bu8t also listen to things like blues, jazz, etc. I'm not a rap or hip-hop kind of guy.

Mattack

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 11:05:00 PM »

Nakamichi CD-400 for SQ.  its a very basic looking head unit.  no rice.  no bling.  just pure great sound.  Can be had for about $300 online, $700ish in retail stores.

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 if you have a 6.5" setup, or the Infinity Perfect 5.1's if you have a 5.25" setup.

Nakamichi 6x9's.

Nakamichi PA-4001 Amplifier for your subs and a MTX Thunder 564 to power those components.

JL Audio 10w3v2 Subs.  I'd get 3 of these if it were me, but that will depend on your budget.  Also make sure to get a quality box.  If you can, have one custom built.  it will be probably the biggest factor for your SQ.  bad box = bad sound.

Also be sure to use AT LEAST 4 guage wire or thicker for your power/ground.  i reccomend thicker, but you may be ok with 4.

hope that helped a little.

celinedrules

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 11:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mattack @ Apr 1 2005, 09:11 PM)
Also be sure to use AT LEAST 4 guage wire or thicker for your power/ground.  i reccomend thicker, but you may be ok with 4.

View Post

pb2themax

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 01:45:00 AM »

Ah, just save up your money and get all JL Audio. JL amps, JL door speakers, and JL subs. I especially love the new JL Amps. Real flexible with the installation, crossover, EQ, etc. and built real solid. If I were you, I'd just run 4 ga. power wire to the trunk. Even if it is overkill for what amps you plan to use, if you decide to upgrade to bigger amps you won't need to upgrade your power wire, just unhook the old amps and hook up the new bigger ones. 4 guage is pretty big, but at least you don't have to worry about much voltage loss through resistance. My last sound system had about 4000 watts RMS. I ran dual 4 guage power wires. One for the mid/high amps and the other one for the Sub amps. I had 100 amp wafer fuses on each leg. Fuse blocks right next to the amp aren't really necessary, unless you need them for multi distribution purposes. But always make sure you install a good fuse holder within 18" of wire from the battery. Always put the fuse at the source of the power, the battery.

Wire Guage Chart

When I'm wanting to upgrade a system, I usually start with just a head unit and new door speakers, but before I install the head unit in the dash I hook up all the wires I'm going to need if I want to upgrade it more, later. That way when you want to add amps and subs you don't have to remove the radio from the dash, everything is already hooked up. Just connect everything together in the trunk. While I'm at it, I always run power wire and RCAs to the trunk, even if I'm not going to add any amps or subs for a while.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 02:28:00 AM »

wink.gif  I love JL equipment.  Anyways,  I don't recommend that this guy get subs since they would pretty much be wasted on the type of music that he listens to.  Rock, Blues and Jazz are not really music that works well with subs.  A good deck, 4 good speakers and a solid 4 channel amp are all he really needs for what he wants.

pb2themax

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »

I always add at least an 8" sub, no matter what the music. With a sub you can take the bass out of the door speakers with a crossover, which will let them play louder w/o distortion. A sub always adds more impact and realism. I think rock and jazz both sound much better with a sub. Even classical music can make use of a sub. But I would make the sub the last addition to your sound system.

acrossbetween

• Archived User
Car Audio
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »

there have been some good suggestions as to some speakers/subs/amps you can check out. Let me throw my two cents in as I have been heavy into sound quality car audio for quite a while. If you want to learn and take advice from people with a heart vested interest I would suggest going to elitecaraudio.com and reading through their forum. Just like xs, there is lots to learn before cracking open your case (or door as the case maybe here)

If you are into sound quality, like I am- I love hearing a recording so detailed and true to life that you can hear dave matthews fingers run along the fret board, you should definately INVEST in your install. I can take medeocre speakers, give them a great install with sound deadening and get great results compared to cdt euro sports with upstage kit all  installed in the doors, no imaging, no eq (read insanely expensive and  high quality speakers) second, find out what kind of sound youre going for, some speakers and amps add their own "color" to the sound, if you want accurate and blended you might want to consider a diy kit from madisound.com if you want something that will go with pretty much any car under any condition I honestly recommend CDT's component set, maybe the classics? Theyre 150 at thezeb.com, they have pretty good midrange and midbass, and their tweeters are top notch, either silk or metal dome.

I second the eclipse/clarion comment, I love both, I favor eclipse a little more because of their quality in output but clarion are great too.

Two more things, you DONT have to spend TONS of cash to have a great system. My current system, I paid 600 for, did the install my self, and I think it beats out what the car audio places are cranking out. It's because I took the time to invest in the install and research!

Last thing, there is no one piece of equipment that you spend TONS of money on to make your sound the BEST, let me illustrate. I can take an eclipse headunit - $1000 worth or more and put them on stock speakers, it will still sound like crap, or even have a not so good jvc head unit RUNNING great speakers, it will still sound like crap. You honestly have to invest in all the components for it to sound good. - proper wiring, crossovers, head unit, speakers, INSTALL, amps, subs, everything is important in the pursuit of higher sound!

good luck and I hope you learn lots!
Pages: [1] 2