xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 93 Fullsize Chevy Amp Wiring  (Read 109 times)

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
93 Fullsize Chevy Amp Wiring
« on: August 03, 2004, 10:09:00 PM »

Hey guys, I recently aquired a litte 600 watt amp from a friend. I have everything hooked up but the remote turn-on / system control wire. I have the stock p.o.s delco stereo in it and have been looking at it for an hour now. Does anyone possibly know which wire from the stereo would be used for this?? Thanks

BTW its an older amp and doesnt have an on/off switch either so it wont work unless the remote turn-on wire is hooked up. Also it doesnt have a power antenna wire nor a seperate lead for this. And i also have a 10 disc cd changer in there, if that helps.... thanks

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »

what about maybe running it from the radio fuse in the fuse box, so that it works only when the key is on or on accessory. would this hurt anything?

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mjkthirdeye @ Aug 4 2004, 11:39 PM)
what about maybe running it from the radio fuse in the fuse box, so that it works only when the key is on or on accessory. would this hurt anything?

There's tons of accesory wires thatll only come on when the car is on. My lighter actually works that way. The best way is to borrow a multimeter or test light. Poke around under the dash until you find something that's on when the key is in the on position and is off otherwise. Generally yellow wires will be accesory when it comes to car stereo applications.

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 08:03:00 PM »

Thanks rylinkus, I have a mulitmeter, but decided to just add the inline switch like mike96sc2 said. After thinking about it, I liked the idea of having an on/off switch... It works great. Thanks guys  wink.gif

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 05:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mjkthirdeye @ Aug 5 2004, 04:06 AM)
Thanks rylinkus, I have a mulitmeter, but decided to just add the inline switch like mike96sc2 said. After thinking about it, I liked the idea of having an on/off switch... It works great. Thanks guys  wink.gif

The only concern is that one forgetful moment and your car ain't gonna start.  wink.gif

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 09:45:00 PM »

Yeah i thought of that so instead of running from an always hot 12 volt i ran it to a fuse that is only hot when the key is in on or accessory.  wink.gif

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 01:32:00 PM »

Why do you have a switch on your remote turn on lead?? Just go to any wire that is part of the acc circuit, this wire doesnt power your amp, it just sets off a relay to turn it on.

I know this, but I like having the option to turn my amp off while still having the stereo function.

Altima NEO

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »

Might just be easier to get a new deck? Even some of the cheapo decks have remote on, like my crappy 45 Watt AIWA (I have a Kenwood Exceleron KAC-X810D hooked up to it, hehe 1600 watts of goodness.) and it works great!

dj_sensations

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

i suggest replacing the deck also so you have the RCA outputs for the amp

you need a wiering kit, and make sure you securly mount the amp! you dont want that thing flying round!

as for the power connections, run the red mai power to the Battery and attach it to the positive (+) terminal, then mount the dround to the chassis. i suggest findong a hole, sand the paint and ground it there!

the remote wire only needs like .5 amps to run, thats it, it should be on the new decks wiering harness, or if you decide to keep your stock one, then like what was said before, attach it to the 12V igniton, i suggest finding it on the radio circut, makes things easier just in case you blow the circut, it wont confllict with anything really important like the PCM.

oh and another thing, STAY AWAY FROM THE SRS SYSTEM, you dont wanna be fucking with that!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, what kind of amp is it and what are you going to be pushing with them?~

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 08:24:00 PM »

Good advice DJ, though I promise you there's NO WAY an amp's remote is pulling half an amp. Though it sounds small, .5 amps is a pretty large amount of current. Decent decks have sub outs that let you turn down the bass for certain songs and such. Also, bolt EVERYTHING down. Don't make it easy for people to steal your subs or amp. Cut a 1/4 inch piece of plywood to fit in the bottom of your trunk space./hatch. Cover it in carpet and screw right into it. All wires can be run underneath it and come up through holes drilled in it, so it looks nice and clean. Don't screw into your sub box ever. Creating holes in a sealed box is not a good idea. Since someday you may trade in amps, and the bass hits can rattle an amp free tearing the screw holes to shreds as it does.

dj_sensations

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »

LMAO, Bolt everything down!!!

thats some good mounting procedures, i monted mine to the back of the seat in the trunk........

ktm300

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 01:30:00 AM »

heres a tip that I will share, being around car audio for a long time I have seen lots of people overtighten wood screws and not use hurricane nuts. That screws up your boxes or ampracks if you have a stripped out hole. Mix up saw dust of the same type of wood and some wood glue in a paper cup and smash that crap into the stripped out hole. It will work like bondo for wood when it dries.
If you are lazy, dont care if you get ripped off or dont know how to use a drill. Use the super strong hook and loop tape (not velcro) for keeping your sub boxes and amp in place, it won't hold them inplace if you roll but it will keep them from sliding around.
RP

xboxexpert

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 10:39:00 AM »

www.the12volt.com