xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The "Why the hell aren't you using this?" thread  (Read 279 times)

Xombe

• Archived User
The "Why the hell aren't you using this?" thread
« on: May 22, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »

Here's a list of some programs that may not be as well known, but ones I love and that you really ought to try out.

People here are more techie than most, but perhaps there's an app here you haven't heard of. If you have some similar contributions, post away. If you try and like one, let me know. smile.gif

Askarya Technologies Taskbar Manager: Handy little app for organizing your taskbar the way you want it.

Raxco PerfectDisk: The only true defrag app.  Fast and complete, also has offline defrag.

Macecraft jv16 PowerTools: Excellent registry cleaner and compactor, with loads of functionality.

ChemTable Reg Organizer: Second to jv16 overall, put cleans some hives tighter.  A good follow up cleaner.

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 06:00:00 AM »

Mr. Captor: Fantastic screen capping app.  Handles window scrolling, DirectX output and more.. plus can upload the cap to a FTP host automatically.

EverestX

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 06:31:00 AM »

4T Tray Minimizer: App to minimize programs to the System tray.  I love it, I use the free version here at work.    Awsome for all you mega multitaskers like me ( When you cant read the tabs of what all you have open w/ tabbed browsing, and all that other garbage, plus you can minimize stuff to it quickly so your boss wont know you are really looking at Xbox-Scene all day.

BootVis:  Micrsoft app to speed up boot times. Works wonders. Esp. if you have alot of programs rrunning at startup.

MultiMon:  Multi monitor utility with a bit load of features. If you Have dual Mon setup then this is your Program.

Grabit:  GOtta get that News.

Opera:  The fastest browser on Earth! tongue.gif

thewickedjester

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 06:58:00 AM »

Desktop Sidebar - A neat little sidebar for your desktop, lots of plugins with everything from a Sudoku game to a fully functional FTP client
Hijack This - Wonderful little application that lists both the registry information as well as processes that are running and puts them all into a clean log file.
Winamp - Yeah, I hate AOL, but I gotta admit, this media player rules.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(EverestX @ May 23 2006, 06:38 AM) View Post

4T Tray Minimizer: App to minimize programs to the System tray.  I love it, I use the free version here at work.    Awsome for all you mega multitaskers like me ( When you cant read the tabs of what all you have open w/ tabbed browsing, and all that other garbage, plus you can minimize stuff to it quickly so your boss wont know you are really looking at Xbox-Scene all day.

My boss sits behind me so I just jump to it when he gets up

xboxbox451

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 07:09:00 AM »

FREE

Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition  
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/    <--COPY & PASTE LINK

Windows XP Powertoys (try em' all)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx   <--COPY & PASTE LINK

DAEMON Tools - Best virtual cd/dvd-rom emulator
LINK

Gif Animator 2.0 - Oldie but goodie gif animator
LINK   Tutorial and freeware links to app

Yahoo Widgets - Active desktop applets (caution addictive)
LINK

Google Goodies
LINK

The GIMP - Excellent photo/drawing app. A bit buggy on Windows, though works flawlessly in Linux
LINK

Gonna cost ya, but free trials

True Launch bar (best app launcher ever)
LINK

Another app launcher, though utilizes the mouse
LINK

xboxbox451

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 07:36:00 AM »

Some more...

Open Office - Complete FREE office application software (word processor, spreadsheet, etc)
LINK

100 links to free Windows software
LINK

Tripme

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 09:10:00 AM »

Diskeeper - Best Defrag program I have ever used, cost $20 but was worth every penny, my computer still runs like day 1.

Everything Google has been throwing at us lately.  I like the calendar the best.

Im gonna have to try those reg cleaners Xombe

hmmm....cant think of anything else right now

O crap, I downloaded that yahoo widgets and well i guess you know what happened lol

ruli00

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(EverestX @ May 23 2006, 09:38 AM) View Post

MultiMon:  Multi monitor utility with a bit load of features. If you Have dual Mon setup then this is your Program.

That is a kick A$$ program, just what I was looking for

Thanks

EverestX

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »

WinDirStat:  Forgot about this one, I use this at work on the servers (and at home) to find what files and directories are eating all my storage space.  It shows you graphically what files are biggest and smallest etc.  Also it has fancy pac men(? What's the plural or pac man?).  So far it has saved me a ton of head ache. It once helped up find a file that grew 3 gigs per-day over a week span due to a bad SQL backup job.  So if you ever wonder where all your space went this will show you.

I get good use out of:

Speedfan: Control your case fans and CPU fan on your PC.  I have a 5000rpm 80mm and a 6000rpm 92mm in my case so I most certainly need it.

QuickPar:  More for news but I love it for backing up Rar's.  It basically creates a parity file (a *.par) to repair corruption in a rar.  Great for Burning Rar's when you scratch them occasionally like me. You just run the par and bam, back in business.  Probably the most useful program I have posted yet.

Glad you like multimon I love it.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »

MultiMon: Multi monitor utility with a bit load of features. If you Have dual Mon setup then this is your Program.

this is a good program, but i personally dont like it because it sits on top of my RDP window, so i cant get to my remote taskbar, lol, and it doesnt display windows themes, lol

i prefer UltraMon, but UltraMon isnt free sad.gif

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »

Sub7  biggrin.gif

Yahoo widgets are gay, samurize is where it's at.

_iffy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »

found this with sumble bar
all free...
<link>

EverestX

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ May 23 2006, 12:49 PM) View Post

this is a good program, but i personally dont like it because it sits on top of my RDP window, so i cant get to my remote taskbar, lol, and it doesnt display windows themes, lol

i prefer UltraMon, but UltraMon isnt free sad.gif

I hear you on that I use RDP all the time and some times it can be rather a pain.   But you can always put your remote bar up top smile.gif  

Did you say windows themes..   ohmy.gif  laugh.gif   Sorry man, no windows themes for me, but I could see how alot of people could find that A hinderance.

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »

Ghost Mouse.

I use it in photoshop sometimes, or certain games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4